VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A user in another forum is trying to locate what seems to be a super obscure DOS shareware role-playing game that is called Lord of Destruction Part 1 - Demon Hordes of Death (no relation to the Blizzard namesake). The game was developed by Gabe Macchia and published by Rebelsoft. It was distributed via the Scott Miller model, and the shareware package was supposedly called LD1.ZIP.

Googling has come up with nothing of interest so far. cd.textfiles.com doesn't seem to have this game, and same goes for various FTPs that still have DOS shareware games.

If someone has this game in their DOS oldies collection (or maybe on some shovelware CD), any information would be most appreciated.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:

I checked Simtel's shareware releases for you without luck.

Thanks!

I see you did find a full version though.

Yep, someone has that but I'm not happy with an illegal registered version. Seems it's one of those cases when a pirated full version is easier to find than the shareware release.

Reply 4 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't been able to find any screenshots of the game so far. It's even more obscure that Gabe Macchia's other shareware title, Plague of the Moon, which even has YouTube videos (and the shareware version is available here).

Here's a description of Lord of Destruction by the person who played it (and is now looking for it):

Superteeth wrote:
Second, the game Lord of Destruction. Not Diablo. It seems all I can find when searching for this title is Diablo, and it is rea […]
Show full quote

Second, the game Lord of Destruction. Not Diablo. It seems all I can find when searching for this title is Diablo, and it is really annoying. This game had slightly better graphics, but was definitely from the 90s as well. Like I said, I am not sure if this was the title, but it is my best guess (I think I recall the .zip file being called "lod11.zip"). In the game, you play a guy/girl (your choice, it does not really affect anything but the sprite) in fancy looking armor. The goal of the game is to find the pieces of some powerful sword (I believe there were 3 or 4, maybe 5). Each piece is guarded by some powerful demon. Finding all the pieces and forging them allows you to take on the final, super powerful demon. In the shareware version, the game ended after finding the first piece.

Basically, the game consisted of an outdoors section with different dungeons/chapels/towns/caves that you could enter. Upon entering a place, you ended up in a kind of maze-type view (1st person view, not top-down) with walls all around restricting the direction you could move. Every couple of steps you could come across an enemy encounter. It would suddenly flash from the maze screen to a screen with a picture of the enemy you were facing. They ranged from things like kobolds to some kind of evil tree enemy to morbid priests to sea cows, etc. (These are specific names to the best of my memory to aid recall in others).

One thing I strongly recall is that the shareware version's piece of the sword is somewhere in a dungeon in the starting town, and that there were tough enemies called killer orcs in there.

The detail of the combats is as follows: Upon entering combat, it switched to a top-down view with the PC sprite at the bottom of the screen (which, I believe, was always all black) and the enemies at the top. They would move towards you attack. When you are attacked, a red blood square appears over the sprite, same as when you attack the enemy. You could cast one of (I believe) 25 spells. One I really remember is avalanche, which would rain boulders on the enemy. There were a couple of arrow spells (poison, magic, etc.), and some bane of magus spell or something (I believe it was one of the strongest spells).

Another detail I remember is that the starting town had an inn where you could rent a room, buy kobold meat (which healed you), and other things I do not remember. There were also weapon and armor shops (I recall weapons like a morning star, and a lion shield).

One final thing that can help greatly is that in the game's main screen, you could opt to play Lord of Destruction 2. It was not complete, more like a teaser. The maze walls were a gold color, and you could not do anything but walk around (no fights, no inn, no nothing but walking). The only difference I could see was that the sprites for the PC were updated.

Superteeth wrote:

For Lord of Destruction, the view in the outdoors was top-down and 2D, but while walking around inside a town or dungeon the maze walls were 3D (again, it was a first-person perspective). Battles were also top-down and 2D. Also, the demon (who had a trident as a weapon) you fought at the end of the shareware version took up 4 tiles (killer orcs took up two, the PC took up one, most enemies took up one).

Reply 5 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

made some shots for the curious ones like myself 🤣 🤣 🤣

th_LOD_zpsceec6b22.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
made some shots for the curious ones like myself :lol: :lol: :lol: […]
Show full quote

made some shots for the curious ones like myself 🤣 🤣 🤣

th_LOD_zpsceec6b22.png

Nice! So you have the registered version then?

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ searched it through my *ahem* "archives" ... scene release

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder where the shareware version of this game was distributed? Are there any archives of old BBSs/FTPs besides chatnfiles (BTW, I haven't looked up that one yet), the FTP boneyard at archive.org and random FTPs here and there?

Reply 9 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to this post from 1994:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... V6IrNSE7sJ

I was looking through the files on america online today and noticed two shareware rpgs that I never saw on the net. One was cal […]
Show full quote

I was looking through the files on america online today and noticed
two shareware rpgs that I never saw on the net. One was called lod11.zip and
is Lord of Destruction. The other is ultizr3.zip and is Ultizurk III. I would
have grabbed them but as the AOL account is not mine, I couldn't. Has anyone
seen these games on the net? From their descriptions they sounded interesting.

Seems to have been available on AOL. Maybe some exclusive deal? AOL did have games available back in the days (ie, Neverwinter Nights)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vetz, thanks a lot for digging this up! This at least verifies that the file name was LOD11.ZIP (as Superteeth correctly remembered, while my conjecture was wrong).

Reply 11 of 11, by Reapter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guess I will restart this search although no luck so far. If anyone has the non shareware version and wouldn't mind helping out let me know. I actually played this as a kid on aol games a long time ago and was hoping to find it.