VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

unless I'm mistaken it seems most games used 8bit or 256 color modes for quite some time, such as doom, quake, duke3d, etc.. So when did they start using 16bit?

Reply 1 of 21, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

High-Color/true-color modes were standartized by VBE 2.0 in Nov 1994.
So - it looks like 1995 can be the correct answer.
The first example from my memory is Hardline (Cryo Interactive, 1996). By the way, hi-color mode was bugged in this game.

Another trouble is - Windows 3.1/WfW 3.11 can use high/true color modes. So - any Win31 game can be "high-color"/"true color".
As the example - Critical Path (Mechadeus, 1994) has 24-bit version (but the video windows is very small). Other sources claim 1993 as the release date of this game. So - please make a more strict terms - "DOS-only hi-color games" as the example. Or "Fullscreen hi-color games"...

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2014-02-14, 03:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Magic Carpet requires it for anaglyph 3D mode, so that's 1994.

Also Doom and Quake both were going to have support for 16-bit color at one point in development. Dropped in both, though Quake still has a lot of leftover 16bit color code in the source.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 21, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... F10 once, IIRC. Maybe the anaglyph mode uses 256 colors with palette editing?
Looks like I need the debug version of DOSBox to find the answer...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 21, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why did so many graphical showpiece games like FPSes only use 256 colors if higher modes were available? I believe all the high profile rts games like starcraft, aoe, and total annihilation ran in 256 colors as well.

Reply 6 of 21, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creep Clash / Sento accelerated on Matrox Impression Lite/Plus runs in 16bit color (640x400). Released in 1994.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xenphor wrote:

why did so many graphical showpiece games like FPSes only use 256 colors if higher modes were available? I believe all the high profile rts games like starcraft, aoe, and total annihilation ran in 256 colors as well.

Probably because.....double the memory usage, slower performance across various hardware, extra graphics assets, storage requirements, etc.

Nice thing about the games you listed is I never remember having any performance issues with those games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Magic Carpet requires it for anaglyph 3D mode, so that's 1994.

Also Doom and Quake both were going to have support for 16-bit color at one point in development. Dropped in both, though Quake still has a lot of leftover 16bit color code in the source.

I guess that's the reason why Doom's assets look much nicer in 16-bit color than 8-bit color, despite the original Doom engine only supporting 8-bit color.

Reply 9 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking of The Labyrinth of Time, but that still looks 256-color.

The JPEG format wasn't standardized until 1992; I don't know how long it took before it became common. I toyed with an old version of POV-Ray sometime around then, which produced TGA files.

Reply 10 of 21, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many games stuck with 256 colors to take advantage of palette cycling (indexed color mode), something that wasn't available in higher bit depth modes. This was the case with Windows games long after they had access to higher color modes. It was annoying in Windows because you had to change the video mode and restart windows in many cases.

Reply 11 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Activision's Zork Nemesis and Spycraft came with both DOS and Windows 95 executables.

The Windows 95 version requires the Window's colour setting to be set at 16-bit.

So did the DOS versions use 16-bit as well? (But these are 1996's games anyway.)

And isn't this a Marvin or Milliways topic?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know that Screamer has an option for 8 and 16 bit colour. Terminal velocity I believe has a similar option as well.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok my mistake. Too many games I mucked around with lately...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 21, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

11th Hour from Nov 1995 ran in 16b color, though it also supported 24b before being updated to the latest beta patch (which only supported 16b). It's the earliest in my collection that supports 16b color, some later others: Screamer Rally, Screamer 2, Ripper, Wing Comander IV.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 16 of 21, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I know that Screamer has an option for 8 and 16 bit colour. Terminal velocity I believe has a similar option as well.

Terminal Velocity has an option to switch sound output between 8 and 16 bit, maybe that's what you remember.
I suppose the S3D accelerated version does 16 bit video output.

Reply 17 of 21, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can any of those 16-bit color games run on a ET4000 or ET4000/W32?
As far as I tested, the 11th hour game flat out refuses it (due to the linear framebuffer being unusable).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 18 of 21, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does Magic carpet also use it in normal mode?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io