Common searches

If you could only have two...

Topic actions

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All,

as the topic states. If you could only have two of these what would you get to be able to play most popular old games. Price not being a concern.
(For example, the MT-32 has a display for SysEx which is nice but is it that more desirable than for example what the cm-500 offers)

- Roland LAPC-I
- Roland RAP-10
- Roland SCC-1
- Roland SC-55
- CM-500
- CM-300
- CM-64
- CM-32L
- MT-32 first gen

[edit] just to reiterate. I know that, for example LAPC-I, is a rare card. But is it really that useful? MT-32 can do the same thing (with the exception of a few games) and doesn't take up an isa slot.

Reply 10 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice palette 🤣
Thanks for the answers Peter 😀 My uncle has S760 and he doesnt know how to use it xD So i guessed i could fire it up for something.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 11 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As much as it is rare, LAPC-I can only be used in a system with the ISA slot. And then there's the issue of the -5v requirement in the PSU for it to work properly. But that does not decrease the desirability of a true Dos gamer to own one even one bit. But practicality takes the precedence.

The modules too require true MPU-401 intelligent mode capable interface card in old systems for proper LA synth message transmission. (Soft MPU is trying to fix this issue with non-intelligent MIDI interfaces.)

The main advantage of the modules is that they still can be used with modern systems, via the USB-MIDI cable and Dosbox. And you can attach the module to any of your systems. (Without the need for the ISA interface card).

I would choose CM-32L and the SC-55. Covers almost any Dos game with "luxury" MIDI requirement.

If I can only choose one, I would go for the CM-500.

I would also change the rules to include 3 - The MT-32 - mainly for the MIDI message. It's nice to see the messages when certain games are being played. And the first gen ones are ideal for the earlier games designed for the MT-32.

If the rules can't be changed, I will stick to my selection - mainly for the additional effects on the CM-32L.

But...but...the original MT-32 is so tempting......with the nice LCD display with cute messages by the game designers (like Sierra)...

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You really need three:

- MT-32 (Old)
- CM-32L
- SC-55

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 22, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

But...but...the original MT-32 is so tempting......with the nice LCD display with cute messages by the game designers (like Sierra)...

Haha, exactly! Maybe I can bend the rules a little. 😉

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
You really need three: […]
Show full quote

You really need three:

- MT-32 (Old)
- CM-32L
- SC-55

Looks like this is the preferred choice. One more question though. If CM-500 already includes a CM-32L AND an SC-55, why wouldn't THAT be the preferred item #1 along with an MT-32 (old) as item #2?

Reply 14 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No as it has a stuffed vibrato, is noisier because of having 2 PCBs, doesn't have a MIDI signal light (just an AUDIO one) and isn't 100% compatible with games utilizing the MT-32 (Old).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 22, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

No as it has a stuffed vibrato, is noisier because of having 2 PCBs, doesn't have a MIDI signal light (just an AUDIO one) and isn't 100% compatible with games utilizing the MT-32 (Old).

The problem about the CM500 is that people tend to focus on nitpicking the small problems and not see the benefits. Who cares about the MIDI signal light? It still lights up when there is activity. The noise is not noticeable in daily operation and the stuffed vibrato is a personal opinion that will vary from situation to situation. Some sounds do sound "different" on the CM500, but that is true to all the other devices as well (MT32 new rev, MT100, CM32L, CM64), and it is not something you notice unless you either hear side by side comparisons or have a MT32 and have grown accustomed to that sound. For a year I only had a NEC XR385 which according to many here on Vogons sound bad and even wrong in alot of GM games and prefer the SC-55. I'm used to hearing the Yamaha synth, so for me it's the reverse when I go back playing the same games.

The benefits of just having one device for all your DOS gaming needs is pretty awesome in my opinion. You don't have to think about switches/extra cables and connections (I'm making a bold statement that the equipment people use to switch between the different MIDI devices produces more noise than increased noise of the 2 PCBs from the CM500 itself compared to using another device). If I just had to choose one device it would be the CM500.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 19 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont have any regrets of my two Roland LAPC-I cards.. Only the annoying part is that it sometimes `hangs`and you need to reset it.. The positive side, you have a clean desk..

I using an MT-32 old on my XT build computer ( i specially hooked it up on a slower system, so there wouldnt any problems with does buffer overflows that can occur on faster system.

i think i should choose the CM32-L and SCC-1 card.. (then you can use the SCC-1 as midi interface card)

~ At least it can do black and white~