Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I think the better question is: Why do I need 8GB of memory and a 3GHz multicore CPU just to get on the web?

Ask modern web developers/publishers (and/or Adobe); they're the ones that've pushed outrageously heavy multimedia content as the "standard" for relaying fairly basic levels of information. 😵

Just the other I was ranting about what the Internet has turned into. You could sum it up like this: cat videos, memes, idiotic lists, gossip, stuff that's supposed to blow you away (usually just some soppy videos), Flash. Now when I think of it, I kind of miss the simple web from the mid-late nineties...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 21 of 30, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm actually affected by this bug and what's worse, on my laptop it even crashes the whole system from running out of memory.

The firefox I'm using on my laptop is older than current because my arch install on that laptop is cluster-ucked and I haven't been able to properly migrate from all the "deprecated" switches and everything... It also doesn't have that annoyingly bad "Australias" theme that they should of kept to themselves forever.

But anyways on topic about the bug: If you open alot of image links, like direct image links, or browse image boards (which I do on a daily basis), firefox skyrockets to 1 GB and even if I'm not doing anything it will spike to 100% (or in this case 25%) CPU usage every 30 or so seconds... Closing out all those tabs and pages doesn't free the memory back nor stop the CPU spikes.

Are the firefox devs ignoring problems or creating problems?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 22 of 30, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, Australis is utter garbage. Obvious Chrome knock-off, but with reduced functionality compared to the (not exactly great either) design they previously had... even with Classic Theme Restorer it's still missing the header on top, and the bookmark star icon doesn't indicate already bookmarked sites anymore.

Of course they don't acknowledge any of the problems with their browser, but what are they supposed to do? Call it a memory-hogging sluggish piece of crap? If it was trivial fixing these issues they would have done it a long time ago, considering they are present for years now. For me using an SSD at least seems to help with large amounts of dropped frames on Youtube, which really is my biggest gripe with Firefox.

Reply 23 of 30, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For shits & giggles I did a SunSpider JS benchmark run on Firefox 24.5 ESR with & without ABP.

Disabling AdBlock did improve the benchmark score, but by just 1.6%, which is actually within the test's quoted MoE (+/- 3.3%) More interesting were the RAM figures:

W/ ABP: ~198MB RAM on-load, ~303MB peak, ~220MB after a GC
w/o: ~160MB RAM on-load, ~216MB peak, ~148MB after a GC

Of course, SunSpider isn't image-heavy but it will serve my curiosity's purposes. In any event, I won't be disabling it. 😉

Reply 24 of 30, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Agreed. I haven't noticed anything troubling either. Adblock Plus is a must have.

Use Adblock EDGE. Adwhores Plus got paid off to create a whitelist in later versions.

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 25 of 30, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Yeah, Australis is utter garbage. Obvious Chrome knock-off, but with reduced functionality compared to the (not exactly great either) design they previously had... even with Classic Theme Restorer it's still missing the header on top, and the bookmark star icon doesn't indicate already bookmarked sites anymore.

Terrible. And on my HD monitor you wind up with a borderless stop/refresh button 1 square centimeter high which your mouse has to reach really fast. I complained about this on Bugzilla and they made a tasteless remark that I had some kind of accessibility issue.

Not to mention the constant crashing, even with Classic Theme Restorer installed.

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 26 of 30, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
redblade7 wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Agreed. I haven't noticed anything troubling either. Adblock Plus is a must have.

Use Adblock EDGE. Adwhores Plus got paid off to create a whitelist in later versions.

I have it installed on SeaMonkey

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 27 of 30, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Much rather have my system utilizing resources to fight ads instead of having my system's resources being used to display a million flash ads on one basic page.

Reply 28 of 30, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
redblade7 wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

"Acceptable Ads" can be turned off, or is there more to it?

Reply 29 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

"Acceptable Ads" can be turned off, or is there more to it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_plus#Con … ad_whitelisting

Seems like there may or may not be more to it than just disabling Acceptable Ads. Regardless, there are other services that haven't taken the pay-to-play approach to adblocking, and imho those are the ones that should be supported, even if they aren't the trendiest/hippest.