Common searches

Thrift store finds? (Software)

Topic actions

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been finding a lot of awesome things at goodwill lately and I've been wondering what kind of neat stuff you guys must be finding.
Pics would be cool, especially if it's in the original box.

Personally I've found a few things over the last two weeks.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7p1hmo.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7p1hmj.jpg

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7p1hmh.jpg

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7p1hm9.jpg

5_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7p1hm6.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 51, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found a MINT copies of Leisure Suit Larry 5 (3.5 floppy VGA ver) and Mech Commander at Goodwill. They were tucked in with all the board games and puzzles. Seems my Goodwill thinks PC games are puzzles based on the size of the boxes. Got them for $1.99 each!

I'll post pictures of them later, since I'm at work and the boxes are at home.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 3 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very cool!
Yeah that's where I found the monopoly game I posted. It seems goodwill employees don't know the difference between big box computer games and board games.

Sometimes you can find other cool stuff too, I just recently found a Tournament 2000 game console (1977) by Unisonic (Basically Pong), Blip a handheld pong game from 1977 by Tomi and Computer Chess (1979) by Conic. Blip and Computer chess are in the original boxes.

I also just recently scored a vintage Zenith portable television set (I payed 49 cents, can you believe it?!) from 1976 to play the Tournament 2000 on.

But yeah I'll refrain from posting pics of those since this is about software. 😜

Reply 5 of 51, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've started combing goodwill shops again for old pc games and gear. Not much of anything in the retro department to report so far. There used to a bunch of discount movie-music-game places with big wire bins crammed filled that if you took the time you usually found cool stuff for cheap, but that sort of place seems to have vanished.

Reply 6 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a copy of Jurassic Park: Trespasser not so long ago (jewel case+disc only). But I'll probably just toss it onto eBay.

If you're unfamiliar with the game, this Let's Play is well worth your time – even the abridged version. Dude has the voice of an angel.

Reply 8 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep your eyes open guys, I just found a box of floppy disks containing the following games:

Oh No More Lemmings!
Hostage : The Resque Mission
Star Quake
Fighting For Rome
Dig Dug
Outrun
Ninja Gaiden
Golf
Mission : Attack demo disk (LHX Attack chopper, 688 Attack sub, Sturmovik)
Ticket To Win Demo Disk (Indianapolis 500 : The simulation, John Madden's Football, PGA Tour Golf)
Spectrum Holobyte 3 Game Sampler Disks (Stund Driver, Faces, Falcon 3.0)
and other misc stuff...

I payed 99 cents a jewel case and 99 cents for that whole box of floppies (Approximately 50 floppies)

I also picked up copies of:

(Jewel Cases)
Lode Runner 94 : The Legend Returns
Warcraft : Orcs and Humans
PYST (Parody of MYST)
King's Quest VI : Heir Today, Gone Tommarow

Reply 10 of 51, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Bought these games today thread is full of awesome pickups and thrifting scores.

Also there's the LGR Thrifts series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBZM9 … ofBZmDBuqNPnCdt - Plenty of motivation to get out there and scour your local charity stores for gems!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh good point! How did I miss that thread?
Except this thread is a tad different in that it specifies non online purchases.
I think random finds are much more exciting. 😀

Also yes I am subscribed to LGR I've watched all the videos he has made multiple times. (I also have watched Roadgeek (Since he is a fellow Packard enthusiast 😜 ), Uxwbill and MetalJesusRocks)

Reply 14 of 51, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had some nice finds at my local Goodwills over the past months or so.

Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego? (new, sealed)
Microsoft Office 97 Professional (new, sealed)
Microsoft Publisher 95 (new, sealed)

Each one was $5.

Reply 16 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found some more stuff today guys. Boxed copies (mint condition) of The Adventures of Willy Beamish (1992) and Redneck Rampage (1997). I payed 3$ each.

Reply 17 of 51, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Goodwill typical destroys vintage gear for the metal value (even though the base value for the metal is at multi year lows) so what little they put out isn't that great.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's true, but I still find good software there. 😜

My particular goodwill doesn't have anything to do with computers, they don't sell them or anything which is a shame because I love looking over vintage computer hardware.

Reply 19 of 51, by WhatANerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Goodwill typical destroys vintage gear for the metal value (even though the base value for the metal is at multi year lows) so what little they put out isn't that great.

Not to get off topic, but in the Los Angeles / OC area (and quite possibly far beyond), all the Goodwill stores send all of their computer equipment to the Goodwill Computer Works in Santa Ana. They mostly have Pentium 4 stuff, but lately I've seen some Core 2 machines making their way onto the shelves. It's a great place to stock up on old PATA drives for cheap!

I've only seen one really old computer there, though: a Macintosh SE FDHD, so it seems they will put them out for sale if they have them. The guy I spoke with told me that they just don't see early '90s stuff anymore. 😢

I occasionally see old network gear and software, too; a shrinkwrapped full version of NT Workstation 4.0 being the latest example.

Anyway, that's why I never bother to stop into random Goodwills I see when driving - I know all of their computer stuff gets immediately sent straight to the Computer Works.

• x86: Tandy 1000RL (HD+768K), Tandy 3000HD, 486DX33 VLB, 486DX50 VLB, Packard Bell Force 1998CDT (Pentium 133)
  • 68K: Mac Plus 1MB (early), Quadra 700 (2), Quadra 950, Quadra 650

Clock multiplication is too new for me, as you can see!