Common searches

Thrift store finds? (Software)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was at a salvation army just the other day and I saw a P3 machine, I'm probably going back there to grab it today. (Not that I need anymore computers but it had a Turtle Beach sound card in it)

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh that's universal, you just have to keep checking. It's best to look during the week when everyone else is at work. 🤣

Reply 23 of 51, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Goodwills can vary, but they often keep jewel case cd's.
I found this batch last week at one.

Gives me like 6 copies of SWGB now 🤣.
Bridge Commander is rare tho very rare, even without the Instruction manual. Was very happy to find that for a dollar, during their 50% off day.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 05:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! I've never heard of most of those. 🤣

I just recently picked up a sealed copy of Sierra's "Shivers" in the box for 2$. It's a pretty awful game 🤣 but it was their first entry into first person click to adventure horror gaming genre. It came out in 1995.

Reply 26 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah though I haven't ever come across games in the box in the past, I've been getting lucky lately.

Reply 27 of 51, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

Goodwill typical destroys vintage gear for the metal value (even though the base value for the metal is at multi year lows) so what little they put out isn't that great.

Or else they throw it in a bin in the back room for an electronics recycling firm to pick up. Once the computers go into the bin, they won't sell them to you even if you offer to pay more than the recycler does. The only exception to that rule that I am aware of, is there is a Goodwill location in the Austin, TX area somewhere that sells nothing but used electronics (computers, stereo equipment, and such) I don't know of any other Goodwill location that does this.

Reply 29 of 51, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a copy of Blade Runner (the Westwood game) a few months ago for $4. $1 per cd for the 4 cds.
A bit of a surprise since the store has somewhere in the area of about 10 games or so.

Reply 30 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really? 1$ a CD? That sucks.

Have you played it yet? As much as I am obsessed with the movie the video game just didn't satisfy my Blade Runner itch. 🤣

Reply 31 of 51, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I figure that the game is rare enough, that it isn't that much.
And I suspect that if I were to find it on elsewhere, it'd probably cost more than $4 anyways.

And haven't got around to playing it yet. Though this might urge me on

Reply 32 of 51, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been combing Goodwills since mid 2011 after coming across some awesome PC games at that point. My best finds to this day are Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and the Duke Nukem 3D Kill-A-Ton Collection still in their original boxes. Was in the plastic wrap in Duke's case, but I opened it since well, I intended to play the games included in that pack.

Reply 33 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! Yeah sometimes you just hit a jackpot. I think I was definitely spoiled this year! 🤣

Reply 34 of 51, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a boxed copy of ms dos 5 and Windows xp plus! at a thrift store yesterday.

I have been trying to complete my boxed ms operating system collection for a while now and this helps me check off some items off my list...I was surprised to find the software in the original box in a thrift store...i find that it's getting much harder to find boxed software these days.

rps20140813_092803.jpg
Filename
rps20140813_092803.jpg
File size
86.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
rps20140813_092729.jpg
Filename
rps20140813_092729.jpg
File size
95.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36 of 51, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks...I'm glad I found it...I sometimes find old dos software in floppy disk format but not usually lucky to find much in the box at thrift stores. I am still on the hunt for a boxed copy of windows 2.0..🤣...I have almost all boxed OSes from dos 3.2 and Windows 3.1 all the way up to windows xp pro including various versions of os2 warp, pc dos, and Windows NT. I miss the old days when there were stores selling old pc software along with vinyl records old cds and games...now I have to scrounge around in smelly thrift stores and classifieds. Mind you those used record and game shops were kind of smelly too 🤣....Even though they are smelly I do appreciate thrift stores though because ebay is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to shipping prices due to the global shipping program.

Reply 37 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I try not to buy from ebay but sometimes I get impatient. 😜
Usually I find that floppy games, or software on floppy diskettes have a greater likely hood that the software is still in the box. With CD games it seems people steal the CD's quite a lot.

Reply 38 of 51, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hear you...ebay does fill the void sometimes and it's worth spending a few extra dollars on something I really want if I can't find it anywhere.

It's true about the floppies and cds....I'm surprised people would want the cds without the jewel cases and box.

Reply 39 of 51, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you find you've lost or misplaced an old CD or floppy it's convenient to find a loose replacement. On the other hand it's staggering just how many loose floppies and CD's on up for bid on eBay at any time. I wonder like you guys - where are they all coming from?