Thrift store finds? (Software)

Topic actions

Reply 42 of 51, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

The only software I've ever found at Goodwill was some desktop publishing thing with 100 billion clipart images on a CDROM.

I routinely find old big box PC games at goodwill. everything from the early 80's to the 90's. its probably where I get the bulk of my PC games. sometimes they will be empty boxes but the surprising bulk of them are mostly complete. I've even found really old sealed PC games. I even have found tsr-80 and Amiga stuff boxed before. It seems to depend on the goodwill though. some I rarely find anything at but there's a few that seem to get boxed PC games very often.

Reply 43 of 51, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Each goodwill is different, some won't put LCD monitors forsale while others do.
I've noticed some GOODWILL's also get a huge amount of software, compared to others, and those others can only be a few miles away.
Its odd.
To bad they all recycle any whole computer you give them.
But single items like PSU's and expansion cards CD\DVD drives floppy's often slip through.

Reply 44 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it really depends on your local community, that said I just talked to the owner of one of the local thrift stores near me and she says next time she gets a computer or monitor she'll give me a call before she tosses it. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 45 of 51, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some of the things I have gotten over the last few months (since I haven't posted anything here for a while).

First up is POD by ubisoft from 1997, I used to play this game like crazy when I was younger! I'm so glad I finally have a boxed version. I had to reinforce the box though cause it was pretty flimsy.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76lt.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76ln.jpg

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76li.jpg

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76lb.jpg

5_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76l3.jpg

14_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76ly.jpg

I used to have a copy of this when I was younger, I remember it was really cool because of the animated cutscenes and besides it's another game by Westwood. 😁
11_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76mw.jpg

12_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76mk.jpg

7_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76kp.jpg

13_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76m8.jpg
I remembered seeing advertisements for this so I had to grab it when I saw it for 0.99$.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 46 of 51, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:
Each goodwill is different, some won't put LCD monitors forsale while others do. I've noticed some GOODWILL's also get a huge am […]
Show full quote

Each goodwill is different, some won't put LCD monitors forsale while others do.
I've noticed some GOODWILL's also get a huge amount of software, compared to others, and those others can only be a few miles away.
Its odd.
To bad they all recycle any whole computer you give them.
But single items like PSU's and expansion cards CD\DVD drives floppy's often slip through.

yeah, I agree. there was one goodwill that tended to get a lot of loose hardware. I found old 8 bit cards and a few 8088 motherboards, a Voodoo II and various other newer boards/cards. a few months ago they move things around and since then I haven't found any PC stuff except the regular stuff (cd drives and piles of external modems/routers). sometimes some odd old PC will slip by. I found a Tandy Coco 3 awhile back at a goodwill but they probably just thought it was a typewriter or something.

they had a big box version of Simcity 3000 there for over a month, may even be still there complete with the thick binder manual but no game but its priced at $12 for some reason. Found an empty box for Neverhood there as well and explained someone probably stole the game and so they gave me the box for free. hoping to eventually come across the boxless game cheap one day.

Reply 47 of 51, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I lucked out today... $10 for the lot. Hopefully the attached photo works.

Attachments

• Filename
    score.jpg
    File size
    159.25 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 50 of 51, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's an Epox EP-USB66, I bought it for the ATA-66 functionality so that I can use some bigger drives on my old Gateway 2000 P5-75. What's a bit odd about the card is that it's got a USB hub built in, a hub not a controller, so an external USB cable is needed. I also got a Pantone Spyder color calibrator, but alas you need a registered serial number for it which I do not have... fortunately I only paid a dollar for it.

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 51 of 51, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrferg wrote:

I lucked out today... $10 for the lot. Hopefully the attached photo works.

A boxed version of full throttle alone is worth about $100 in 'ebay land'...wow...you scored big time indeed.