VOGONS

Common searches

Things you regret giving or throwing away?

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 101, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a fire, had to recycle the following because I just couldn't get the smell out...

ASUS p2b
ASUS p2b-ds
ASUS p3b-f
a slotket
several pentium 3's in socket 370, from 833 mhz to 1100 mhz
several slot 1 pentium 3's, 450mhz up including some 933's
a couple of slot 2 xeons
loads of ram
some soundblasters
an awe32

I'm still sad over that stuff.

Reply 82 of 101, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My childhood PCs. One of them (my very first one) had to be thrown away because it literally caught fire. However, my other ones were seemingly fine. I had a Dimension 2400, a Compaq Presario of some kind (my SR2038X replicates it) and a Samsung SyncMaster 906BW. I found a 906BW locally, but I still need to find a Dimension. I miss that stuff.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 83 of 101, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Actually, I think all you need for modern communications is an iPhone and iPad.

Not if you have publich service like we have here in denmark. Anything except an extremely few examples, can be done online. Like getting divorced or acknowledging that you are the father of a child can be done through a website here. Every mail from the state and anything else, are electronic now. You do not get any oldschool mail in envelopes anymore. You can even change your name online now.

These systems does not work on smart devices. Because you sometimes need to upload documentations in the form of pictures or pdf files.

I know you still need to use time driving to a specific location in America in order to do these things. Yet here in denmark we just go online for 95 percent of all these things. And we need a real computer and not some dumb smartdevice that are featureless.

So americans might not need anything else, yet the rest of the world is way different. Society are different the globe around.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 84 of 101, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. The guy must have some iOS fetish.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 85 of 101, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I moved and had to free up space, I ridded a lot of hardware.
In 2006 I threw away boxes full of top quality 1970s and 1980s stuff.
Commodore PET 2001 mobo and keyboard (that small original one).
Much sweet Apple II and PC hardware and diskettes.
And another move in 2014 made me rid all that remaining ISA and VESA VLB stuff that is quite rare today, as I had to notice when trying to get it again on a well-known auction site...

Reply 86 of 101, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My last move in 2010 was about 1500 miles, and I ended up throwing out complete big box games without having any idea as to their value. I only started getting back into retro computing around 2016. In the same move I threw out boxes of miscellaneous hardware I collected since the mid 1990s. I don't even know what I threw out, could've been some really nice stuff that I'd be using today.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 87 of 101, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

I know you still need to use time driving to a specific location in America in order to do these things. Yet here in denmark we just go online for 95 percent of all these things. And we need a real computer and not some dumb smartdevice that are featureless.

So americans might not need anything else, yet the rest of the world is way different. Society are different the globe around.

By "rest of the world" you must mean Denmark, right? Here you simply can't do anything without a mobile device. I mean you can pay your groceries with your phone, you open your bank app with the fingerprint censor in your phone and you can even pay your invoices/bills by scanning the bar code with your phones camera. That is if you still get paper bills as most are sent directly to your net bank. There's no real reason to use a laptop or a desktop for most of people unless it's work or gaming related.

Anyway, back to topic. Last year I threw away a Canon Notejet because the floppy drive belt was busted and it was such a pain in the neck (because of the integrated printer) to tear apart so I just gave up midway through and scrapped the whole thing.

Attachments

Reply 88 of 101, by hardrivethrutown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really regret not trying any harder to persuade my parents to let me keep their old "EI Systems" windows Xp media centre edition home PC, I did a lot on that machine and was the computer I remember the most from my childhood.

My parents also had a windows 98 machine with an Abit KG7-Raid motherboard (Which I still happen to have the box for, it is filled with software discs that would have been useed alongside the machine), a DJ Pi soundcard and some other miscellaneous windows 98 era hardware, I don't remember it that well, but I remember it being stored in the spare room for a while before they upgraded to the Xp machine, it had a CTX beige CRT color monitor which we carried forwards to the Xp machine

They also had a Word-processor/Typewriter with a monochrome green display, I don't remember this at all because I wasn't even born at the time, but it would have been something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNs-QIMHCJA&t It would have been cool if they had kept it...

I also threw out the case from my rig I had from 2007, an Antec p180b case, it had noise cancelling and looked really cool, somewhat like a server, the thing was pretty neat and easy to work in, the plastic started to degrade so I got rid of it, I wished I hadn't

I also had a Dell e772p Shadow-mask CRT that I used a lot for well over a year, it supported 85Hz... even though the resolution wasn't great at 1024x768, I got rid of it to make room for other computers, I regret doing that

I also had a PowerMac G5... a single core G5 machine that was plagued with problems since it got it, so I don't really care that I threw it out

I tried to find some pictures, most of them I just had to find off of the internet https://imgur.com/a/stTUfBN

Systems:
- R5 2600, GTX 1070, 16GB
- i7 950, GTX 480, 12GB
- C2Q Q6600, HD3870, 4GB
- Athlon 64 3500+, 6800GT, 2GB
- P4 3.2, FX55008X, 4GB
- P2 400, TNT2, 512MB
- P2 Xeon 400, Elsa PCI Video, 384MB

Reply 89 of 101, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Last year I threw away a Canon Notejet because the floppy drive belt was busted and it was such a pain in the neck (because of the integrated printer) to tear apart so I just gave up midway through and scrapped the whole thing.

Oh man. That's too bad. It would have been awesome if you could have taken a day trip to Tampere to have it crushed.

Reply 90 of 101, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

By "rest of the world" you must mean Denmark, right?

Nope... It was only the statement from an American, saying that you can live with only a smart device and nothing else. Then I gave Denmark as an example on what you need a real computer for, and can not use a smart device for. I am fully aware of the fact, that the reality is completely different from country to country. If he had said that in America you can live with only a smart device (and I suspect that this is not even true for every single American), then I would not have said what I said.

sf78 wrote:

you open your bank app with the fingerprint censor in your phone

That is the thing. We have no fingerprint verification regarding these important things. We use a code-card, that we carry around. Everytime we need to confirm anything of importance, we use our profile-login. That is anything from selecting school for our children, transferring money to another persons bank account or changing your name. Well anything you would normally go to a gourverment builing for. When entering the profile login, the system give us a code, that are something like "AB456218" and we find that code on our card. At that code, there are a 6-digit code, like "123431" or something, and we enter that. The letter/number code can only be used one time, and when the card is down to 20 codes left, they ship us a new code/key-card.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 91 of 101, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Biggest regret would prob be the old IBM or similar 8088 PC that was a hand-me-down from a cousin, my first experience with a computer as a 10 year old or so. Now that I look for it, I remember the red switch at the back, a heavy keyboard with coiled cable, the grilles in the front near the drives and the black floppy discs, it was quite loud when reading. I remembered playing Prince of Persia, Karateka and some Ghostbuster game on a green monochrome monitor. When we upgraded to a Windows 95 PC, I think it was given away, I don't even know where to which makes me sad now 🤣.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 92 of 101, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing I heavily regret throwing away was my dad's old Supermicro P3TDE dual-Tualatin rig 🙁 unfortunately this mobo was a goner as roughly ¾ of the time it would fail to boot and beep (each failed boot gave a different random beep code).

The case however was given away (I only recall it was silver-colored and had weird patterns on the sides)

Last edited by Vynix on 2019-06-07, 23:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 93 of 101, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My giant Sun wide screen monitor, that thing was cool as hell. Wish I had room for it.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy_dc6d6jm-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTc0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZGEzMDZiNTctOTA5OS00NzhkLWE3ZDctN2M5MTA5NDE3ZGYwXC9kYzZkNmptLTljMjZlMDg0LTA5YmMtNGI5Mi05ZDZhLTJiZWIwZjFlN2JmNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.hgzG-c-WdGsItGxay9OSWsyfAj5lSYDA82aLAvSLcdA

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 94 of 101, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

That is the thing. We have no fingerprint verification regarding these important things. We use a code-card, that we carry around. Everytime we need to confirm anything of importance, we use our profile-login. That is anything from selecting school for our children, transferring money to another persons bank account or changing your name. Well anything you would normally go to a gourverment builing for. When entering the profile login, the system give us a code, that are something like "AB456218" and we find that code on our card. At that code, there are a 6-digit code, like "123431" or something, and we enter that. The letter/number code can only be used one time, and when the card is down to 20 codes left, they ship us a new code/key-card.

We had those too for around 20 years or so, but I believe EU is banning all code charts as they are considered unsafe and in the future you need a finger print sensor or other personal verification. I know that in the past year most net banks here have opted for a single code/finger print scan to verify bills.

Reply 95 of 101, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
My giant Sun wide screen monitor, that thing was cool as hell. Wish I had room for it. […]
Show full quote

My giant Sun wide screen monitor, that thing was cool as hell. Wish I had room for it.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy_dc6d6jm-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTc0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZGEzMDZiNTctOTA5OS00NzhkLWE3ZDctN2M5MTA5NDE3ZGYwXC9kYzZkNmptLTljMjZlMDg0LTA5YmMtNGI5Mi05ZDZhLTJiZWIwZjFlN2JmNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.hgzG-c-WdGsItGxay9OSWsyfAj5lSYDA82aLAvSLcdA

damn, which model # was that?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 96 of 101, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Moving to another house, I'm in the process of cleaning up and packing. Found the remote and COM port receiver for my Real Magic Hollywood mpeg-2 card.. Think I threw the card away during my last move in 2006, probably together with my Matrox m3d D'Oh! Still hoping it will show up in some long forgotten boxes when unpacking some time ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 97 of 101, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I threw away an awesome little 286 machine which I thought was a piece of useless old junk. It was a really cute PC that had a 20 MHz CPU, it was super compact (about 30x20x10 cm) and super integrated (the floppy controller and the IDE controller were on the motherboard along with a 512K Cirrus Logic VGA adapter). There was one ISA slot on a riser.

After our family got a more modern PC, this one was kinda sitting in the corner. One day I turned it on and discovered that the CMOS battery was dead. I opened it up but didn't find anything that looked like a battery (it probably used a Dallas clock chip or something similar). At this point I decided that it was not worth the effort and chucked it.

The machine came with an old 9-pin dot-matrix printer made by Star Micronics. I kept the printer and it actually got me through the university. The ribbons were super inexpensive and it accepted perforated paper in stacks which was also very cheap. It could be used under Windows in the graphical mode which was horribly slow but could produce decent looking text and diagrams. There was a special program that could be used under DOS to load Cyrillic fonts into the printer's memory to print in the text mode. In this mode, the printer was super fast but the text didn't look as nice. Still, if my text didn't involve any graphics, I printed from under DOS because it was literally 20-30 times faster.

Of course, after I got my first inkjet printer, I threw away the old Star, which was a huge mistake because two months after that I needed to print something and discovered that the printhead was clogged with dry ink -- something that never happened to the trusty old dot matrix printer!

I also gave away my second laptop (IBM ThinkPad T22) which I now regret because it came with Windows 98SE and S3 Savage Mobility GPU. Would be perfect for DOS and Windows 98 games now.

Last edited by ShovelKnight on 2019-08-08, 19:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 98 of 101, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was a time I was unemployed and needed money, so I sold my spare computer. You wanna hear it? Abit BE6-II, P3-550, 384 MB RAM, TNT2 and Voodoo2 12MB. God dammit...

Reply 99 of 101, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I was really down and needed money I sold my grandpa's officer's sabre. Still regret it, but I had serious issues at the time so I try not to beat myself up about it too much.