VOGONS

Common searches

Things you regret giving or throwing away?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 101, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My smoke stack Lionel locomotive train set that I received for Christmas.
I was considering collecting old Lionel train sets but I don’t have the room for it.
I live in near an old train town. I remember hearing all the fright trains running 24/7/365.
Clank, Clank, Clank.....
As the trains ran across the tracks and over the train bridge.
Train horns and the clank of the linking of train cars.
It drove me crazy sometimes when I was trying to sleep.
Today they welded all the train rail tracks together so no more clank, clank sound but
Now the Air lines have routed there planes over my area so now it it loud jet air planes
That wakes people up. Well the train horns are still around.
Actually where I live is like a MASS Junction for everything.
Just about everything passes threw these area. ( Car traffic, Buses, Trains, Planes, Helicopters, etc ).
Well live next to the hills so we also hear the Cows at night.
And raccoons and skunks. And there are large parks for dogs and with horse trails where people ride there horses.
Lakes and bike trails.

So there is a old train station near by where train enthusiast have turned it into a museum for old train sets.
It is pretty nice. All kinds of old trains.
So I can get my toy train fix there.

I really like old Lionel trains and would have been nice to have the space to collect them.
But I assume not most people have the room to collect them.

There are also a few train lines still running where you can ride a real Dessel train.

But my Lionel train set went to a good cause. I donated it to goodwill and a lady picked it up for her little boy.

Reply 101 of 101, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maximus wrote:
If you're like me, you've done this many times. You think you're done with some piece of hardware, so you give it away, or worse […]
Show full quote

If you're like me, you've done this many times. You think you're done with some piece of hardware, so you give it away, or worse yet - you throw it in the trash. Then you realize it was rare, valuable, or special, and you never stop kicking yourself.

Case in point: I was once given a Gateway 4DX2-66V full tower (like the one shown here). The thing was massive, and totally maxed out. The specs as I recall:

Pentium Overdrive 200 MHz
96 MB RAM
8 GB HDD
Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme (Permedia 2)
some ISA sound card

It also came with a cute little CRT and a matching Gateway keyboard. I kept the machine for a few years, then I got something newer, and, being a complete idiot, I threw it away. I kept the keyboard, hard drive, and graphics card, but everything else is gone. That was right before I caught the collecting bug, and I've been plagued with remorse ever since. 😢

Anybody have an equally depressing story to share? Or is just me who does this sort of thing?

I regret throwing all my old intel play devices because they no longer work on modern os, I regret recycling my old pcs because they ran windows xp.... I regret getting rid of my small tvs because they no longer work with digital signals. I regret so much that I wish I could take it all back and give it to someone like LGR...