VOGONS

Common searches

Things you regret giving or throwing away?

Topic actions

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're like me, you've done this many times. You think you're done with some piece of hardware, so you give it away, or worse yet - you throw it in the trash. Then you realize it was rare, valuable, or special, and you never stop kicking yourself.

Case in point: I was once given a Gateway 4DX2-66V full tower (like the one shown here). The thing was massive, and totally maxed out. The specs as I recall:

Pentium Overdrive 200 MHz
96 MB RAM
8 GB HDD
Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme (Permedia 2)
some ISA sound card

It also came with a cute little CRT and a matching Gateway keyboard. I kept the machine for a few years, then I got something newer, and, being a complete idiot, I threw it away. I kept the keyboard, hard drive, and graphics card, but everything else is gone. That was right before I caught the collecting bug, and I've been plagued with remorse ever since. 😢

Anybody have an equally depressing story to share? Or is just me who does this sort of thing?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 101, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I used to have all of my old computer hardware and software until early January 2005, when an unfortunate act of nature took most of it away - an old pine tree lost its footing and fell right on top of the storage shed where I kept my stuff. The shed was flattened like a pancake, and everything inside was broken, mangled or badly damaged. On top of that it was raining very hard, and it didn't stop for another 3 days. By the time I could go outside and look, it was too late; nothing was salvageable. I had no choice but to throw everything away to the local dumpster.I still have a few mementos left - a RealVision Flash 3D Voodoo 1 driver floppy, demo CD and manual and a Visiontek GeForce 2 GTS driver CD and manual are reminders of what I used to have once 🙁

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 101, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, that's probably going to top anything that anyone else can bring to this conversation... though I seem to recall that nforce4max had a similar catastrophe involving a house fire. You guys should commiserate 🙁

PCGames9505

Reply 3 of 101, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some.

Back when I had just started collecting (I already had quite a lot by that time) I dismantled an AT case with LED display and all and threw it out, with it's power supply. It was really good looking for a small AT tower and I had no particular reason to ditch it except for being a n00b at the time.
Some time later (when I had just moved out to my own place) I threw out ALL of my 386 and 486 boards which hadn't a ZIF socket (including a 386/486 combo board with filled cache sockets (I pulled the cache chips though before I threw the boards out).

The funny thing is, I'm always worried my house would catch fire so I'm kinda addicted to pulling any power plugs of any electrical machine that's not used like the TV, washing machine and even my main rigs (basically only the fridge is connected 24/7 🤣 )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM Portable PC, I fried the PSU trying to connect a bigger PC speaker. That thing was a beast.
IBM PC XT w/EGA monitor although I did strip the cards at least.
Generic AT system with FIC VA-503+ and K6-2
HP Vectra Pentium Pro 200

Can't keep everything! I already have too many systems and games I never have time to play.
My completed games list hasn't changed for months, although I'm hoping to do something about that now the nights are drawing in.

Reply 5 of 101, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first ever PC computer... an Elonex 386 33Mhz hand me down from my uncle. I had it for throughout much of the 90's and gave it to a family friend's son as a first computer once I had my next system (Pentium) in place.

I miss it more for sentimental reasons... I learned how to use Dos on that thing, and did things like complete Leisure Suit Larry 1 (the VGA ver) unassisted... I wasn't even sophisticated enough to have a proper sound card... just the shitty bleep of the PC speaker.

I have built many 386's since, with better specs and in various different AT cases... but none like the one I had.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 101, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sorely miss three computers - an Apple II clone (Datamini I) - spent so many hours in front of it, even though I coveted my friends' XT, but in my twenties heartlessly threw it on the kerb; my second computer, a 386SX met the same fate, though I kept the sound card and sold the 5.25"; and a Powermac 9500, loaded with RAM, seagate Cheetahs and Adaptec 29160, a V5 5500 PCI, and a 19" Gateway monitor, which I gave to my sister for her design studies, who subsequently turfed it on the kerbside as well.

Thankfully most of my other systems were sold as parts as I upgraded, and I kept a 486 laptop along the way.

Reply 8 of 101, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Apple ][e. It was such a great machine and this one was loaded. Two drives, good monitor, full of cards including the Microsoft CP/M and a 110-300 modem, and a big box of software. I had such fun exploring it and there remains many many hours of exploring yet to do.

But then I got the Amiga and the internet was getting interesting. The ][e was completely obsolete and took up precious desk space. "Retro" didn't exist, and it was reasonable to presume the ][e would be as little missed as the junk that preceded it.

Reply 9 of 101, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gosh, I don't know where to begin with this...

The first PC I ever used - my dad's old 486DX/33 desktop, which was thrown away around 2007 or so. Learned how to use DOS and Windows 3.1 on that thing. Also, around the same time, we junked the former family PC: an old K6/233 that had a Voodoo 4 4500 AGP card and some other neat hardware. Of course, I deeply regret doing that nowadays, since we didn't rescue the cards from that rig. Only remnants from that computer that I still have are a TDK CD-RW drive, which now resides in my K6-2, and the hard drives - a 40GB Maxtor slimline and a 60GB Maxtor. Oh, and the box for the 4500.

More recent regrets include a 386 Gateway 2000 desktop that, IIRC, I could never get working, so I returned it to the dump. Nowadays, had I kept it, I probably would have tried my best to get that thing working. Nowadays, I only sell/throw away systems that I don't want or are just lying around, doing nothing, and also systems that kinda "trample" over other rigs I have (i.e. similar specs/hardware). And I've come to acquire several unique systems over the years, like a Gateway 2000 G6-200, which is a Pentium Pro 200; a socket 4 Packard Bell computer with a Pentium 60, and a couple others.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 10 of 101, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A very generic and rather abused (huge dents) AT case that housed my first socket 7 system. Had to move and did not realize how hard it is to find these dang things! Also the board that went to it, because now that I have more experience (and AT power supplies) I am pretty sure that it was still good and the psu was the only part that was dead. O and a matx Etower case that housed one of the CNET's list of top worst pcs ever. That would have been a fun and deceptive build.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 101, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A voodoo 3 v2000 pci.

Was moving an had to throw out some old pc junk (nothing of significance)... Didn't realize at the time (been atleast 7 years ago) how much a pci Voodoo 3 was worth.

Reply 12 of 101, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On pc hardware i didnt never giving something to others also didnt throwing it away. I was always very economical committing.

Mostly my older hardware i did sold them.. I only have regret of selling my older ASUS V9999 6800 Gamer edition that was fully unlocked! Because i think its was one of my better graphics card i got back in the days.

Where i most angry was on, is that my dad threwing away his AT style computers.. Because he told that one if them had an blowned PSU.. Iam angry about it that he never keep that system to give it to me. I really would had like those parts right here now.. I only have some harddisks that where in of those computers.

Where i also angry was on that my parents had influence on throwing away things i wasnt beware off.. 😠

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 101, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ALL my pre Pentium hardware.
Almost all of my AT cases.
Most of my AT socket 7 boards as I threw away all non ATX/PCI gear mid 2000 just to regret it not long thereafter.

Im a horder of epic proportions so we are talking about ALOT of stuff.
The socket 7 stuff and AT cases I have left survived only because they were stored away at my parents place and I had forgot all about them.

Some of... ehm... all these clean outs happened because Sirens lured me with their enchanting music.
Now I have been single for a really long time... and I get to keep my stuff.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16 of 101, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My IBM ps1/pro monitor-keyboard-mouse , they got thrown away - luckily I kept the main unit.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 101, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I regret throwing out my computers from the 90's. I had 2 compaqs and a designer tower Packard Bell all of them with good CRT monitors and matching keyboards. 😒 If I could go back I would slap myself so hard for doing that!

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 18 of 101, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Procyon wrote:

Most of my big gameboxes 😢

Same here... I kept virtually all the manuals and jewel case inserts, though, so there's that.

Robin4 wrote:

Where i also angry was on that my parents had influence on throwing away things i wasnt beware off.. 😠

I've lost so much good stuff that way.

PCGames9505