Common searches

vinyl making a comeback?

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK so this is not really on topic for Vogons but I am just curious what people here think.

I was just in a record store yesterday and saw a rather large collection of....... vinyl records?????? And not all of it old.... some of it looked like new releases. Apparently vinyl is making something of a comeback?????

Reply 1 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, its sound quality as an analog media undoubted.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 2 of 30, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Incoming vinyl collector!

Yeah, vinyl's been making a comeback since around 2008 or so. The quality of vinyl is just unbelievable compared to something like an MP3 or any other lossy audio format for that matter. Plus, new releases on vinyl are becoming more and more common, i.e. Judas Priest's Redeemer of Souls released in the summer of 2014. I think that, if you have a half-decent turntable and a good set of speakers, you'll probably be set in terms of a good listening experience.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 30, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know several people who collect vinyls. Until I saw one mates collection the other day, I didn't realise how many artists are still releasing their music on vinyl. Obviously a big market for it.

Reply 4 of 30, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To my knowledge, new albums pressed today on vinyl come from the same digital source as the CD. The cool thing about them is the cover art and the tangible aspect of placing the disk on the player, lowering the needle, etc. This is distinct to ye olde times, where the vinyl was either etched in the studio, or transferred from a 24-track analogue tape. I'm not sure how they do modern repro's of classic albums, whether they're new pressings of the original masters or not.

There's no point buying, say, Random Access Memories on vinyl, other than the coolness of the object.

Collecting old vinyls is fantastic though. They're a pleasure to own and listen to.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 30, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

To my knowledge, new albums pressed today on vinyl come from the same digital source as the CD.

Granted, the original digital source is typically studio-quality sound recordings at frequency rates far higher than the 44,100 KHz produced by CDs. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 30, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah actually also in the case of some indie artists such as Slugbug the original recordings were done in the old way on Analogue equipment (AKA Tape 😜 ). I bought his album truck month it's freaking amazing to have an actual 33 1/3 by a modern artist. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7 of 30, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't say I'm a fan of vinyl's "warm, analog sound." I've heard several records--old and brand spanking new--played back on decent equipment (a good friend of mine is a vinyl collecting hipster 😀 ). With the exception of CSNY's excellent album Deju Vu, all of the vinyl I've heard just sounds slightly...off...to me. It's hard to explain because every album seems to have its own unique way of sounding a little strange on vinyl. I guess I can understand why some folks might appreciate that quirkiness ("every scratch tells a story"), but it's just not my cup of tea.

CDs and even 320Kb/s MP3s--which to me sound exactly the same as the CDs they're encoded from--have always sounded better than vinyl to me.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 30, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think pops and hisses are cool if not overpowering the sound.
Are there guys that bathe the records as well? to clean from dust?

I always hated MP3, such a shame we still use that shitty compression since there are already so much better ones these days instead of sea waves and bubbles etc.
I know that 320kb mp3 does not show that, but thats the point of compression anyway, 320kb is far too much for any.

Looking at tv we see more and more pictures altered to old style effects with lines and bad colors together with can reverb audio it is complete especialy when some guys is talking old style through some old microphone commenting.

Reply 9 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some I stumbeled on the other day...

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/15/01 … of-the-atlantic

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm always a "digital audiophile" kinda guy, but I have to admit that vinyl sounds great for mid frequencies, like guitars and vocals. Of course, it's all depends on mastering. Good mastering yields good records, and bad mastering yields bad records - and it goes the same for both vinyl and CDs alike.

To my ears, vinyl sounds "musical" while CD sounds more detailed. I guess it's almost the same with "low power amp/sensitive speakers" vs "high power amp/refined speakers" issue. The former sounds more musical while the latter sounds more detailed.

And of course, there is still tube vs SS issue...

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 30, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really, you can store them vertically or horizontally and as long as you don't get them wet or leave them in the sun they should be fine.

I have records from the 1900's in both Edison format and Victrola, I'd like to see a CD-ROM last that long. 🤣

Reply 14 of 30, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, it's not as good an idea to store records horizontally. Especially if you value your records. Not only is it harder to look through a stack of records and get the one you want to play, but the records towards the bottom are more likely to become damaged due to the weight of the ones above.

Vertical all the way!

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 15 of 30, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some gold CDs from 1989 that still work.
And some from mid 90s with warcraft 2 on them 😁

Vynil is expencive, if they still made good quality CDs they would last longer.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 17 of 30, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol that's the truth, I have MANY old bakelite records. I'm surprised the second floor on my house hasn't come down on me yet with those records and my computers being stored in the same room. 🤣