Rank
l33t
StSam wrote:
With a risk of being a bit risqué... :roll: […]
Show full quote

With a risk of being a bit risqué... 🙄

fakehitachimagicwand01.jpg

🤣 all I could think of was various NSFW videos when I saw your post 😊

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 41, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What kind of "Magic" are we talking here?

And for my contribution to this topic, I listen to shortwave radio does that count as old?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 22 of 41, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
mrferg wrote:

Makes me wonder; why are most non-PC stuff posted here vintage audio gears? Are we closet vintage audiophiles? How many of us are also members of Audiokarma?

I am on AK. I have a mid range (I guess) stereo setup in my room that I use a lot. Pioneer reciever from the early 90's, Akai Direct drive TT, JVC cass deck, and a sony 10 CD changer (magazine style).

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 23 of 41, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A VHS player (Sony SLV-757VP) and a cassette deck (Yamaha KX-W492) are still connected to my AV Receiver along with decades younger devices like WD media player, custom build HTPC, digital satellite receiver and BD / DVD players. While VHS player is very rarely used, cassette deck entertains not so frequent but regular use (due to my 100+ cassette collection from university years).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 24 of 41, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not on AK, but I frequently find myself on there drooling at the various setups others have. I consider myself a bit of a budget audiophile. I have the previously listed Sony, a Yamaha CR-440, and I also have a early 70's JVC VR-5521 receiver that alas is in dire need of recapping. Additionally I have a pair of older Technics DD turntables, and still have a tape deck. It's a Pioneer CT-W910R, though I don't use it very often. I did make some uncompressed digital recordings of some tapes for my dads old Interact computer with it, just to see if I could.

Most of my other equipment is from the 90's and 00's. Hooked up to my projector I have an Onkyo TX-SR804, Dell 755SFF, Blu-Ray player, Pioneer CLD-D703 laserdisc player, and a JVC SVHS deck. My favorite modern stereo amplifiers are my two Integras, DTM-5.3 and 5.9. Sure they don't have that full warm sound of older gear, but for modern digital audio they sound fantastic.

Overall I tend to think of myself as a general hardware geek, it doesn't matter whether it's computers, hifi, video, or cars. When I was a kid I had some lower end electronics that were just awful, Venturer brand, Symphonic, Koss, crap like that. I assembled a budget PC in High School and didn't do my research, VA-503+, K6-2 500, and an AGP GeForce2mx didn't play well at all. So, ever since high school I'd try to either buy the best I could new or used, especially stuff with a good to great reputation.

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 25 of 41, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

41HBG4BTY5L.jpg
My non-computer tech love is iriver T30 mp3 player. It's Mom's present for my 14th birthday. The top 1Gb version with radio and recording (line in, radio and mic) was probably the best player kids around me had for several years (and surely better than those lousy smartphones). One of the smallest players of the day. Costed some wicked money... I still feel a shadow of guilt knowing how hard she worked to get the funds.

The "investment" in 1Gb model proved a time-proof solution: all my friends who had 256Mb and 512Mb players have long since abandoned them due to newer stuff having more memory. One other great advantage is AAA battery holder, which lets you use alkalines or rechargables, take several of them with you on a holiday and once the rechargeable element is dead, throw away the element and not the player.

It's turning 10 years old in a month. I hope it stays with me for at least 10 more 😀

Reply 26 of 41, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was thinking about a similar post about 3 weeks back.
My Phillips razor finally died, battery went about 2 years ago and lost 1 of the blade spinners 3 years ago, so wasn't that upset.
It was only when I went to throw it away I realised it was my very first one, so has seen close to daily use since 1997ish!

Also got a 70's flip clock, but that's cheating as I got it 2nd hand and older then me

Reply 29 of 41, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a turntable (my akai that I mentioned earlier) that I acquired in a trade at a pawn shop. It is a direct drive and it sounds like heaven. I want to get a nice 70's or 80's receiver but the ones on local CL are either too expensive or too cheap. I have a decent setup ATM but I once had a Marantz stereophonic receiver from early 70's. Damn I miss it. Got it out of the recycling a long time ago and don't remember what happened to it. It smelled like ass though (well, more like smoker-grandma house, but whatever.)

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 32 of 41, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StSam wrote:

jwt27, I didn't know they made beer-scented air fresheners

?

Are you referring to the can of IPA on my desk? ...that does not exactly smell like a good Tripel 😉

Reply 35 of 41, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Makes me wonder; why are most non-PC stuff posted here vintage audio gears? Are we closet vintage audiophiles? How many of us are also members of Audiokarma?

nope, but close, diyaudio.com
I made this myself

2ymvt42.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 36 of 41, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it would be my iRiver H120 MP3 player. I got it new in 2004. Its on the third battery and fourth hard drive. The OEM drive was a Toshiba 20 GB; I swapped in a 30 GB and then an 80 GB and just recently installed a 480 GB SSD.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 37 of 41, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For many years now, I've been using a pair of Western Electric World War 1 signalman headphones made in 1917 for crystal radios I build. The tone quality is exceptional by today's standards and these thing are about 100 years old.

Reply 38 of 41, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Up until a few months ago, I was still using our Tivo Series 2 DVR, purchased in 2001, I believe. I still have a SDTV cable box attached to it. We purchased the "lifetime" subscription to the Tivo service in 2001, for either $300 or $400. All I can say is that we got our money's worth. We stopped watching TV in the room where it is, and I imagine that I'll fire it up again once I find a place for it.