VOGONS

Common searches


Reply 20 of 67, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not much into XT, but since you asked:

Beast
Akalabeth
Defender of the Crown
Rampage
emm... that's it.

Does King's Bounty work on XT? If yes, count me in 😀

Reply 21 of 67, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In 1992, I was playing these games on a Commodore XT with Hercules graphics (and CGA emulation):

- Prince of Persia,
- Tetris (original version)
- Blockout
- Leisure Suit Larry 1
- Police Quest (I don't know which version)
- Space Quest 1
- Zaxxon
- MS Flight Simulator 1
- Grand Prix
- An NBA Basketball game that I don't remember the exact name
- Test Drive

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 22 of 67, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose all CGA-only and maybe most CGA-supporting games can run on XT, as they supported 8088 instructions and wanted conventional memory. But I doubt every such game will run at comfortable speed at 4.77 MHz.
And I do not understand sense in creating an "XT" with NEC V20, - it would not be time correct and you may get compatibility issues.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 23 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
reenigne wrote:

I'm planning to make one myself as well.

It's nice there is an XT gamedev scene still. I'm still struggling to make something PCX2/Voodoo graphics/Pentium friendly with my lack of ASM knowledge, and the closest I came to XT gamedev was some basica conditional lamer game hacks in the 80s/90s. 🙁

apsosig.png

Reply 24 of 67, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

It's nice there is an XT gamedev scene still

Just barely. It's been bugging me for a while now that almost every other retro-computing platform has new games constantly being pumped out (C64, Speccy, the 8-bit Ataris and whatnot) while the 8088/CGA has had what... 3 games in 5 years (maybe 8-10 if demoscene stuff counts)? Even the Apple II 'scene' is more active! I can't do much other than graphics (and ideas/design), but *something* will be done 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 26 of 67, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

It's been bugging me for a while now that almost every other retro-computing platform has new games constantly being pumped out (C64, Speccy, the 8-bit Ataris and whatnot) while the 8088/CGA has had what... 3 games in 5 years

Until 1989 (386+VGA+SB with adequate price) it was hard to perceive IBM PC as a competetive home platform for games. Other platforms gave similar or better things for same or less money. So there is no comparatively much nostalgia about 8088+CGA for games, and not very different situation with 286+EGA. To make an interesting game even for 286+EGA is not as easy as for 8-bit systems, while for 386+VGA things become only worse. That is why, I suppose, we don't see much new games for old PC hardware, similarly as much new games for any system popular in 1990s. Harder development needs commercial motivation wich is small today for those systems.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 27 of 67, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tertz wrote:

I suppose all CGA-only and maybe most CGA-supporting games can run on XT, as they supported 8088 instructions and wanted conventional memory. But I doubt every such game will run at comfortable speed at 4.77 MHz.
And I do not understand sense in creating an "XT" with NEC V20, - it would not be time correct and you may get compatibility issues.

Some games might benefit from the extra speed of the V20, and for those games that do require an 8088 at 4.77Mhz... i can live with that.

I went as far as using a 8MHz OSCI on my 286 , and with the Turbo button depressed games Digger was very much playable. I don't mind if my XT is a tad faster than an original IBM XT. And the benefits clearly surpass the disadvantages. By using XT+ BIOS on my XT-IDE i assembled i have a speed boost for Hard Drive operations.

Reply 28 of 67, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:

Until 1989 (386+VGA+SB with adequate price) it was hard to perceive IBM PC as a competetive home platform for games. Other platforms gave similar or better things for same or less money. So there is no comparatively much nostalgia about 8088+CGA for games, and not very different situation with 286+EGA.

That's all true, but since the PC clones took such a huge chunk out of the market in general, many were "stuck" with them (like I was as a kid), and ended up enjoying the games anyway; so the nostalgia factor could work there after all.
Like this guy, for instance (pretty cool to see 8088/CGA getting some love in public): http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/growing … -i-ever-bought/

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 29 of 67, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

That's all true, but since the PC clones took such a huge chunk out of the market in general, many were "stuck" with them (like I was as a kid), and ended up enjoying the games anyway; so the nostalgia factor could work there after all.
Like this guy, for instance (pretty cool to see 8088/CGA getting some love in public): http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/growing … -i-ever-bought/

How this i miss this post...

Awesome article there, thanks VileR. And man Starflight, one of the best games EVER. I plan to enjoy it soon. Already got my boxed copy and all!

Reply 30 of 67, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have first-hand experience of this topic as I was in this position in 1990 😀
My Dad had a 10Mhz XT/CGA/640K laptop (with external monitor) and I was desperate to find games to play on it.

A 10Mhz 8086 XT is great for just about any CGA game you could throw at it. I seem to remember my favourites being LHX Attack Chopper, Legend, PGA Tour Golf, ZZT, Commander Keen and Monuments of Mars. Also remember playing various Moraff games on it. Slower EGA games would be OK too but you would really want a 286 for those.

A 4.77Mhz 8088, even a V20, is really slow however. Forget about anything that scrolls. Even Monuments of Mars is too slow. You're really limited to text mode games (e.g. ZZT, Dracula In London, Infocom), really basic graphical games (Paratrooper) or turn-based stuff (SSI Gold Box).

Reply 31 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

I probably spent much of 1990 shooting down boatloads of Heinkels and Stukas playing Their Finest Hour. 🤣

Their Finest Hour is a pain to play without joystick, and I don't think the PC/XT comes with joystick port. Most PC/XT those days didn't have Sound Blaster (which gives it joystick port).

As for the OP's question, I'd probably play Space Rogue, Test Drive, F-16 Combat Pilot, Karateka, Grand Prix Circuit, and Sierra Championship Boxing.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 32 of 67, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:
VileRancour wrote:

That's all true, but since the PC clones took such a huge chunk out of the market in general, many were "stuck" with them (like I was as a kid), and ended up enjoying the games anyway; so the nostalgia factor could work there after all.
Like this guy, for instance (pretty cool to see 8088/CGA getting some love in public): http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/growing … -i-ever-bought/

How this i miss this post...

Awesome article there, thanks VileR. And man Starflight, one of the best games EVER. I plan to enjoy it soon. Already got my boxed copy and all!

I fully agree! 😁 And thanks a lot, VileRancour!

This post from arstechnica is wonderfully written!

StarFlight was one of the games I played in my childhood on my Megadrive (aka Geneses) and loved a lot.
After I've seen Mobygames, I learned about all the other ports and was fascinated.

They all were slightly different, but thankfully none of these ports was something I consider of beeing bad.
Surprisingly, the Atari ST and Amiga versions were equally good in visual terms.
And the Mac version had amazing hires B/W graphics. Unlike the C64 version, which was below CGA standards (but still good).. 😉

Anyway, none of the ports had this "mystical" ambience the original PC version had.
Playing this somehwen in the 1980's during nighttime on an ancient XT clone with a likewise video monitor must have been almost romantic.

I'm glad there are people out here who still care about things like this and preserve it.

Btw, it took me years get a copy of the original PC version!
I remember how happy I was holding it in my hands, even though my copy lacked the vinyl like packing! (^_^)
(See LGR - LP-style PC Game Boxes )

Attachments

  • sf.jpg
    Filename
    sf.jpg
    File size
    19.01 KiB
    Views
    609 views
    File comment
    StarFlight PC/XT version
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 33 of 67, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
reenigne wrote:
shamino wrote:

When I think about this scenario, it makes me realize I'd probably regain a lot of interest in programming.
I guess at some point, the complexity of modern operating systems and the plethora of graphically intense multi-million dollar games killed my enthusiasm.

There is a small scene of programmers making new games for old systems (what's the opposite of VOGONS? NGOVOS?) See http://www.deathshadow.com/pakuPaku and http://bluepandion.tumblr.com/tagged/magiduck for PC/XT/CGA-specific examples. I'm planning to make one myself as well.

Wish I could get my engine working on a 286. I've got that QB45 code as optimized as it's going to get and it still lags on a Pentium-75 🤣

Commander Keen will work on an 8088 (CGA or EGA) but it probably wouldn't run at full speed unless you had something better than 4.77 MHz.

I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.

Reply 34 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Wish I could get my engine working on a 286.

Time to rewrite it in C perhaps? (And/or rewrite the critical inner loops in assembler).

Reply 35 of 67, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be playing:
Digger
Lode Runner
Karateka
Bruce Lee
Infocom text adventures
Ultima I through Ultima V
Wizardry I through Wizardry VI
Bard's Tale I through Bard's Tale III

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 36 of 67, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Wish I could get my engine working on a 286. I've got that QB45 code as optimized as it's going to get and it still lags on a Pentium-75 🤣

Try PDS 7.1 and Visual Basic for DOS - I heard they are to some extent compatible qith QuickBASIC 4.5 😀

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
TELVM wrote:

I probably spent much of 1990 shooting down boatloads of Heinkels and Stukas playing Their Finest Hour. 🤣

Their Finest Hour is a pain to play without joystick, and I don't think the PC/XT comes with joystick port. Most PC/XT those days didn't have Sound Blaster (which gives it joystick port).

As for the OP's question, I'd probably play Space Rogue, Test Drive, F-16 Combat Pilot, Karateka, Grand Prix Circuit, and Sierra Championship Boxing.

Hi, I'm no XT expert, but I've seen Gameports on a lot of Multi-I/O cards.
Perhaps they were in common use before the Sound Blaster cards.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 37 of 67, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh, good ol' BOB1940. That game became so much more tolerable on a 486 DX4 with a Turbo button. Sure, it already had a "triple speed" button in-game, but this way you could really get moving...

Anyway, the appeal of watching cyan and magenta graphics crawl along the screen to the accompaniment of PC speaker blorps is sharply limited in my mind.

Reply 38 of 67, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, I'm no XT expert, but I've seen Gameports on a lot of Multi-I/O cards.
Perhaps they were in common use before the Sound Blaster cards.

There were seperate 8-bit cards with two Gameports on them, sold well into the 90s.

So it's definitely possible to have an XT with Joystick interface without a sound card.