VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gog.com

Bethesda have release 3 game packs on GoG, a Shooter pack (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 + Final Doom, and Quake: The Offering, which just means all expansions I guess), an Elder Scrolls Pack (Morrowind GOTY, Battlespire, and Redguard), and a Fallout Pack (1, 2, and Tactics).

A few caveats, the Fallout games are not the same ones that Interplay released on GoG. They have no bonus extras save the manuals. In fact the old ones (which I have on GoG) have been relabled as Fallout Classic, Fallout 2 Classic, etc. A nice bonus is that with any Bethesda purchase you get TES Arena and TES Daggerfall for free. Sucks that the original Fallout releases don't count for this. But they're available from Bethesda's site anyway.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2015-08-26, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!

If anyone purchases these, could you please check if the all the installer files are included. Does it use DOSBox or runs through a Windows engine. Does Quake come with CD Audio tracks...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, apparently the new Fallout releases on GoG use the widescreen patches that the Steam version has, I guess? They're also multilingual.

Also, the version of Arena included in these bundles is the CD version with speech, as opposed to the downloadable version from Bethesda's site which is the floppy version.

My Github

Reply 3 of 28, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was about to post this but you beat me to it. 😀
GOG is certainly raping my wallet this month. I've played Arena and Daggerfall
but not the other TES games on offer, are they worth picking up?
I may get the Doom bundle, too. Haven't made up my mind.

Reply 4 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake and Doom comes with both Win and Dos ports. 😀 That's one thing I like most about GoG. They, for the most part, include multiple versions of the games they have and all for the price of one.

EDIT: Official statement from a developer:

The only difference between the Classic editions and the Fallouts from Bethesda is that the Classic versions (as we've decided to call them) have more bonus goodies and support one additional platform - OS X. Other than that, those two editions should be identical. The main reason for this difference is that the approval process for the remaining bonus goodies takes a lot of time and we didn't want to hold up the release just because of that. 😉
To answer another question - will we ever have them included in the Bethesda versions? We will do everything in our power, of course, but I can't say for certain that we will.

My Github

Reply 5 of 28, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, Doom and Quake are FINALLY on GoG?!??!?! Hopefully this means Quake will actually have the CD Audio tracks, unlike the *cough*Steam*cough* release. 🤣 I already bought the classic Dooms as well as the Heretic/Hexen series on Steam, but I may just have to rebuy them on GoG.

Reply 7 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake does indeed come with the CD tracks.

My Github

Reply 8 of 28, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is awesome news! I am also curious on how Battlespire and Redguard are packaged, since I'd like to run them on real hardware instead of an emulator, and also if using a burned CD for them is necessary (which I'd prefer as it keeps them the way they were meant to be).

And Arena being CD 1.07 instead of floppy 1.06? Now that's pretty interesting.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 9 of 28, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Took a chance with the Shooter pack. Quake does have the CD soundtrack, apparently in BIN/CUE format; it only auto plays with DOS Quake however (probably has to be mounted first before playing GLQuake or WinQuake, don't know about VQuake). The two expansion packs also have their CD soundtracks. As far as I can tell all needed files are included and could be transferred to another PC easily, no need for an installer 😁 (the soundtracks will have to be burned to blank CDs). nGlide 1.04 is included as well for GLQuake.

Now to check out the Doom games.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 11 of 28, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news for people that didn't already have them.

I already have the original releases of:
Doom
Ultimate Doom
Lost Episodes Of Doom
Doom 2: Hell On Earth
Final Doom
Master Levels For Doom

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood Of Steel

Quake
Scourge Of Armagon
Dissolution Of Eternity
Aftershock
Malice
Shrak

Any reason to buy them again?

Reply 12 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

to support the revisionist history as Zenimax being the best company ever that invented the first-person shooter with Doom, thus creating Carmack and owning Oculus from that?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Took a chance with the Shooter pack. Quake does have the CD soundtrack, apparently in BIN/CUE format; it only auto plays with DOS Quake however (probably has to be mounted first before playing GLQuake or WinQuake, don't know about VQuake). The two expansion packs also have their CD soundtracks. As far as I can tell all needed files are included and could be transferred to another PC easily, no need for an installer 😁 (the soundtracks will have to be burned to blank CDs). nGlide 1.04 is included as well for GLQuake.

Now to check out the Doom games.

Proper BIN/CUE, or music in MP3 or GOG format? Can someone burn it and try in on a DOS PC?

In the GOG forums someone postet that the mission packs just play the music from the Quake CD.

I don't understand the use of nGlide either.

EDIT:

GOG posted this on their forum:

Hi guys, […]
Show full quote

Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to complicated legal issues we needed to remove the ogg music from the game. Instead we've added disk images into the build so that the DosBox version stays intact (as DosBox can mount CD images by itself). As for the Windows version, if you happen to have the game's CD you can just insert it and play the game with music.

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but the world of legal agreements written 20 years ago can be ... a complicated one.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game!

Reply 14 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

<Grumpy cat picture here> GOOD

Now how about original disk images for the rest of the games....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The installer is 1.1 GB. So hopefully contains the full images. I'll know shortly and post a directory / tree.

Ok the files are:

game.cue and game.gog
gamea.cue and gamea.gog
gamed.cue and gamed.gog

Here is what the burnt CD looks like:

Comments?

ZYOK3BK.jpg

Reply 16 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So....the music is now lossless? I assume that's the case...what about Redguard? There's a CD audio soundtrack with that game too, right? Anybody confirm?

My Github

Reply 17 of 28, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

They are indeed full disk images. game.cue/gog is Quake, gamea.cue/gog is Scourge of Armagon (Mission Pack 1), gamed.cue/gog is Dissolution of Eternity (Mission Pack 2). Also gave each mission pack a quick run and both play their proper soundtracks. As to why GOG included nGlide, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Also finished a quick check of all Doom games. They're DOS versions with no Windows ports; at least setup files are included to configure each as needed. They can also be transferred to a DOS PC easily. Doom II/Master Levels of Doom and Final Doom (TNT Evilution/Plutonia Experiment) have a simple menu to choose which one to play.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 19 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

As to why GOG included nGlide, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

it's like deleting the March 97-dated 3dfx MiniGL (which GLQuake always ships with for mass consumer convenience) never came to a clue to them. Most modern videocard drivers limit their extensions for GLQuake.exe already and it's trivial to hexedit the extension string to prevent the overflow.

The only real nasty thing GLQuake does on modern hardware is their gl_ztrick cvar (which also detaults to 1), and apart from that it's fine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem