VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 80, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roughly the same age - Thinkpad 360Cs and Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum Pro 3D - worked hard to buy the Pro 3D at my first job (gardener), and an ex-gf gave me the TP360 😁

Reply 43 of 80, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

Never thought I would miss that machine.

There's the next reminiscences thread title.

I was about to add "Won't be me", but just remembered the pile of beige macs I thought I'd never want to bother with. Ah, poop.

Reply 44 of 80, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Other than maybe some floppy disks, I think the oldest significant piece of hardware that I personally owned since new is this

IMG_3799.jpg
Filename
IMG_3799.jpg
File size
226.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sound Blaster Pro CT1330A (older type with dual OPL2 chips, not OPL3)
I had a lot of allowance money saved up and ended up buying this. I originally installed it in my family's 386SX PC and played games like Civilization and Star Trek 25th Anniversary. I think it remains as the most impressive PC component upgrade I ever experienced. Going from a PC speaker to a Sound Blaster was amazing.
The box is pretty worn, it just wasn't made to be handled very much. I think I have all the accessories still. I did burn a trace on the PCB from hotplugging the joystick, so the joystick port doesn't work anymore but other than that it's still working as far as I know. Haven't powered up the card in years though. Nowadays I'm pretty sure I could solder a bypass wire to repair the joystick port, but I don't think there's any need for it so I've been more inclined to leave it alone. I have a separate joystick card anyway (originally bought because of that hotplugging incident).

Reply 45 of 80, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me it's the Compaq Presario 4766, my childhood computer from 1997.

In 1998 I bought a brand new Voodoo2, still have that with the box and all games. The Voodoo2 is still installed in my Compaq.
Also in 1998 I got a 3com Ethernet II from 1991 from a friend since I needed a network card for a LAN party. That 3com card is now installed in my 386 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 46 of 80, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thuderboard sound card I had in my original 286/16.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 47 of 80, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only two things left from my 1992 286. 5.25" 1.2MB Teac floppy and ISA Winbond I/O Controler. They haven't been in use since 1995 and when I tried them last year, both didn't work 🙁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 48 of 80, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still own the 5 MB RAM (4 * 1MB, 4 * 256kb) of my first 386sx - i like the look of it.... 😀
Then there is a Seagate 170MB IDE HDD from somewhen later, with a still working DOS 6.22/WfW 3.11 on it. They don't do hardware like this anymore... 😀

(By the question, my C64 with external tape does not count, does it?)

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.

Reply 49 of 80, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have the motherboard and cpu (installed and running in a different case with different hardware) from our first 486/P90 computer. That's probably the oldest. I wish I still had the old Voyetra card and double speed CD-ROM multimedia combo we used to have. Got rid of it at some point. I also still have an old 40MB giant hard drive from a 286 (own my first computer as a kid). Still have all the 3.25" disks, which are probably the oldest if they count.

I used to have that Gravis gamepad, but....not anymore. I remember it came with a peg you could screw into the d-pad and use as a joystick. Did that controller have L/R buttons? I can't remember. I got it primarily for emulators at the time :p. But there were never enough buttons for emulating roms on those things.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 50 of 80, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

I used to have that Gravis gamepad, but....not anymore. I remember it came with a peg you could screw into the d-pad and use as a joystick. Did that controller have L/R buttons? I can't remember. I got it primarily for emulators at the time :p. But there were never enough buttons for emulating roms on those things.

Yeah floppy disks count. Actually my oldest item might therefore be my X-Wing or Doom floppies. Or F177A. The Gamepad Pro had the shoulder buttons on it but my model is USB. I think I've still got the joystick bit!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 51 of 80, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My C64 setup with dual drives, monitor, joystick.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 52 of 80, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would have to say my STB Black Magic Voodoo 2 12MB Card. My current DOS system was built around that, and every thing else in the system is purchased in the last 2 years to complete it. All my other vintage HW are replacement buys. My C128 fried in the early 90's, and was replaced recently. My Amiga 500, 2000, & 4000 were either recently inherited or purchased as well. So that 1 card is the piece I've actually owned the longest.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 53 of 80, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My oldest piece of PC hardware I still have must be 486 DX2/66 CPU and PS/2 keyboard I salvaged from my old Olivetti 486 computer I got as a kid in 1994. Ahhh... but if we talk about hardware you bought with your own money... then it's Roland LAPC-I. I got it relatively cheap at the end of '90s (can't remember the price, it was few years before Euro so I paid in Finnish Marks). IMO it was the perfect moment to buy Roland hardware since nobody seemed to care about MIDI anymore and retro gaming wasn't exactly booming yet. Instead everyone was always fretting about the next gen of 3D cards... Nowadays retro hardware is harder to come by and you either find it cheap (or free) by accident or somebody is asking fortune for them in eBay.

edit: No, strike that LAPC-I answer. My oldest hardware is one particular 8MB SIMM RAM I bought for the same Olivetti 486 as above with my own money back in '95. I still have that RAM in the same bag with dozens of other SIMM chips. But unfortunately that's not as cool response as the Roland one... 😎

Reply 54 of 80, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a case, riser and mobo from an Olivetti PCS 40.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 55 of 80, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ariakos wrote:

edit: No, strike that LAPC-I answer. My oldest hardware is one particular 8MB SIMM RAM I bought for the same Olivetti 486 as above with my own money back in '95. I still have that RAM in the same bag with dozens of other SIMM chips. But unfortunately that's not as cool response as the Roland one... 😎

true, but thanks for the honesty 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 58 of 80, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably an AT mini tower case that I bought in the mid 90's. It had a Cyrix system in it originally, now a K6-3+ build.
Non-PC related, I'm still rocking the Amstrad CPC that I got for Xmas in the late 80's.
Recently installed a 512KB RAM & ROM expansion and disk drive into it 😀

Reply 59 of 80, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Non-PC related, I'm still rocking the Amstrad CPC that I got for Xmas in the late 80's.
Recently installed a 512KB RAM & ROM expansion and disk drive into it 😀

Hmm... Shall we open it up? Like if I we're to say that although I said PC in the title I never actually said 'IBM compatible'.