VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So yea.. never played it.

Since my retro rig has been up an goin for some time now (specs in sig). Should I buy a copy? Was lookin on ebay, boxed copies aren't to bad price wise.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played that game years ago and I ended that game and is very worthy to buy, plot is very good, also graphics and that game isn`t very hard. Sometimes is easy, at beginning a bit harder, but I like that game very much. And on your rig that game will be very smooth. And you can play this game in different ways, you can play stealth or go center and kill all who stand in your way, or hack machines to kill enemies.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go ahead and BUY IT - great atmosphere and plot for a great game... so ahead of its time and so... prophetic. I've beaten the 2nd chapter too, but I don't like it... and the chapter on XBOX 360 (Human Revolution) - I can say (imho) the first one is the ONLY great title of the saga.

Reply 3 of 10, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back when PC Gamer was at least somewhat reputable, DX rated number 1 on their top 100 games of all time list.

Nowadays they apparently think it's Half-Life 2, and Skyrim made it in the top five. But don't let that dissuade you, they did know what they were talking about at one point.

Reply 6 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AidanExamineer wrote:

Back when PC Gamer was at least somewhat reputable, DX rated number 1 on their top 100 games of all time list.

Nowadays they apparently think it's Half-Life 2, and Skyrim made it in the top five. But don't let that dissuade you, they did know what they were talking about at one point.

Skyrim is a great game, but top 5 of all time? 😒 Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot, but it's too easy, has poor interface and is slightly broken. The last time I played it I ended up with a rogue capable of killing a drangon in a single blow. Did the games overall degrade that much, or did the audience degrade with them?

Reply 7 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Did the games overall degrade that much, or did the audience degrade with them?

It's the audience man! I know I've degraded because I just don't have the time or inclination to struggle through hard games anymore. One hit dragons are OK with me 😈 Unless of course the dragon can be killed with zero hits, in which case sign me up for that 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Did the games overall degrade that much, or did the audience degrade with them?

It's the audience man! I know I've degraded because I just don't have the time or inclination to struggle through hard games anymore. One hit dragons are OK with me 😈 Unless of course the dragon can be killed with zero hits, in which case sign me up for that 😎

Given that time is a limited resource, it just so happens that I'd rather struggle for one hour in the evening than waste that time on one-shot dragons 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For every "one-shot dragon" there is something like Super Meatboy or those "retro-inspired" hard platformers. The audience is very diverse, and different games cater to different tastes.

Reply 10 of 10, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Deus Ex is a classic, and is my favourite PC and PS2 game. It does have it's flaws, such as bad AI for the NPS, ugly graphics, some of the weapons/skills/abilities aren't as useful as they are when tweaked by a third party mod*, the story and setting doesn't always make much sense, the first level seems to be not as enjoyable as the levels that follow, and the game's quality does deteriorate towards the end of the game, but it's a mark of how good the game is that even with these flaws, you don't care since the game is so fantastic.

For a start, the story is mostly very good, and the levels (playing areas) are great. The freedom to use the objects and items you come across (be it a basketball, a pool table, or even just stack up boxes and dustbins to climb over a wall to avoid or shorten a dangerous situation is really good, and i's fun experimenting to see what the game allows) is great, and most situations have multiple ways to defeat them, from stealth to all out violence (the weapons you get can be really powerful) or often by using your brain. You can do almost anything you want, storywise, with the game being programmed to allow for you to deliberately complete or ignore most objective, to kill or save most characters, to basically do more or less what you like, though you must complete some objectives to continue the game.

The game is long, and has near endless replayability. It's almost a given that most PC Top-ten-Games lists have Deus Ex in them, because you can play it how you like, as a stealth game (it's in the Guiness Book of Records, seriously, as the first person shooter that needs the least number of kills to complete it - you must kill three people to complete the game, everyone else you can either kill/sneak past/knock out, or outwit, as you choose), or as a first person shooter with powerful weapons, or as a game where you can think your way past most situations, by using local items/machinary/hidden areas to avoid enemies.

It's just a very, very good game. It has lots of flaws, but still hasn't been approached, let alone beaten, at what it does since it was released fifteen years ago. It's first sequel, Invisible War, inexplicably did away with almost everything that made Deus Ex great, and it's much more recent sequel (well, prequel), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, was great but still not as good as the original.

* Third party mods like Shifter and GMDX alter the game mechanics, enemy AI, etc, but play the ordinary version of the game before you play it modded.