Scariest Level Ever?

Topic actions

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm voting for Thief 3: Deadly Shadows - Robbing the Cradle

I still remember playing this late at night all alone and with the lights out.

EDIT:

Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4YZuRUgXA

Last edited by squareguy on 2015-09-24, 15:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Ultimate Doom E2M4: Deimos Lab and E2M6: Halls of the Damned. Very dark for the most part - and the evil Barons of Hell (yes I know how to fight them now, but they're still a handful 😵 ).

Unreal Map 36 - The Darkening. Incredibly dark, even the Searchlight is barely enough to see where you're going. And those luminescent Skaarj that just refuse to die 😖

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thief III? 🤣 I was once scared by Thief 1. particularly when those damn zombies come into play

it may sound silly now, but this was way before the horde of zombie games.

also shock2 was once scary, and so was AvP before 'gold' ruined it all

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly scary, but Thief 1's level on the Cathedral was certainly tense and uneasy.

I too found System Shock 2 to be rather scary at times. I remember going through a set of rooms situated on a catwalk, looking for supplies or whatever and as I was coming out from each room I would lean out first to check if anybody was around. This was a great recipe to shit my pants as the one time I did that an enemy was behind me, and as soon as he spotted me started shouting "Kill me!". I seriously almost fell of my chair.

Scratches is an amazing adventure game that kept me on the edge as well. There are two particular moments that always spring to mind, the first one would have to be the one with the mask and then the other one the cellar/boiler room scare. Thankfully, I wasn't playing late at night as I would have been unable to sleep. Those who have played the game will surely know what I am talking about.

As a child, I remember being very scared of Half-Life and Soul Reaver's main menu of all things. For those of you that don't know/remember, the main menu in Soul Reaver had about 7 statues that would turn around and look towards the screen with demonic faces at random. Here it is just for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_1U-wVU488

More recently, I played through The Lost Crown with my girlfriend which had quite a few legitimate scares. It scared the living crap out of us on a number of occasions, to the point where I think I would have been unable to finish it on my own.

Reply 6 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A couple of the levels as marine while playing AVP2 surely scared the shit outa me 🙁
Constantly turning around, waiting for the motion tracker to ping...it was awesome! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 47, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

A couple of the levels as marine while playing AVP2 surely scared the shit outa me 🙁
Constantly turning around, waiting for the motion tracker to ping...it was awesome! 😁

+1 for AGP. That soundtrack, the motion tracker, the flickering lights, darkened room - most scared I have ever been during a game.

Also those spider things in Half Life 2 that jump into your face - terrifying!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8 of 47, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything involving Burricks or Zombies on Thief. Super-dread right there.

Also, Diablo 2, Act 2, THAT boss. Not as scary as it is "oh god is he going to kill me instantly this time?"

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 9 of 47, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*** System Shock 2 ***

This is the main reason I'm playing it again after all these years... when I was young, I was too afraid and uninstalled it after one of those mutants appeared just in front on me while I was turning... great atmosphere. I hope to finish it this time: it deserve this.

Reply 11 of 47, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

The Ocean House Hotel Level in Bloodlines

I'm with ya, what a great level.

DOOM 3 had some very creepy, claustrophobic levels too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 12 of 47, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System Shock 2 where you had to go through the parts where "the many" had transformed the ship and there were sphincter like doors.. that freaked me the heck out

But then Freddy Kreuger used to freak me out too.. and now it's all meh

Reply 14 of 47, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The end of ski free with that bastard snowman thing with the yellow teeth comes to eat you up.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 47, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

C64-Amazon
The first time you see the Huni come into the monitor.
Enough to scare the 5 year old me for years.

Even though I don't find anything in the game remotely scary anymore, the opening music still makes the hair on the back of my neck straighten, almost like it's this deeply rooted survival response...I just shrug it off and keep playing.

Reply 16 of 47, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This scared me back then on Atari 800XL when I played it for the first time and had no idea 😉
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3Ti99IEF0

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 17 of 47, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

This scared me back then on Atari 800XL when I played it for the first time and had no idea 😉

I'm dying. That was hilarious!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 19 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

🤣 his Maniac Mansion cameo also made me jump then

apsosig.png
long live PCem