VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unlike the sleek, futuristic, curvateous design of the 360, Xbox One's "boxy", grilled design reminds me of something that comes from the 1980s.

Xbox_One_Console_Set_zps1gm95fqi.jpg

Yup, it reminds me of Sony Walkman models of late 1980s/early 1990s. It also reminds me of Atari Jr. console. Perhaps the 1950s-look of Star Trek: The Original Series is quite probably after all? The 1950s-style big colored buttons actually make sense, because they look simple and are easy to recognize.

I wonder if there's plausible explanations for CRT monitors in Babylon Five though.... Perhaps there's something that makes CRT more durable against cosmic radiation and the likes?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 9, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the grille wasn't diagonal and no black piano it would be more likely. Design's pretty weird but at least they did some reliable hardware (remember X360 and their 3RL that affected more than 20% of launch consoles?)

Reply 3 of 9, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My younger bro is getting the fallout 4 XB1 bundle. You're right it does have a retro kinda look! I was thinking about getting a PS4 but I don't know yet, we'll see. I'll probably just build a new PC.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 4 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Design-wise, are we going in circles? For example, silverface is coming back in certain (usually high-end) audio gears, although the design is simpler. So, is the 80's boxy, grilled look coming back too?

Maybe beige computer casing will become trend again?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 9, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, the last posts I remember from Kreshna "3dfx" Nurzaman were from a long time ago.

Yeah I agree, the stripes seem fairly 90's, like this old IBM case which comes to mind:
88183763_3_644x461_ibm-intellistation-e-pro-komputery-stacjonarne.jpg

HP has jumped on the bandwagon with their new cases, too:
c03890325_390x286.jpg

Reply 6 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raymangold wrote:
Wow, the last posts I remember from Kreshna "3dfx" Nurzaman were from a long time ago. […]
Show full quote

Wow, the last posts I remember from Kreshna "3dfx" Nurzaman were from a long time ago.

Yeah I agree, the stripes seem fairly 90's, like this old IBM case which comes to mind:
88183763_3_644x461_ibm-intellistation-e-pro-komputery-stacjonarne.jpg

That one in black is sexy!

Reply 8 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't pay any attention to consoles anymore, but that looks pretty nice. I like boxy designs. Curviness is just bland looking IMO, and also can be a physical annoyance. Rectangular gear looks more serious and practical, and somehow it's also more interesting to look at.

Reply 9 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow I never noticed! I gotta say I really like the boxy geometric design, reminds me of that period in the late 80's where everything looked all sharp and blocky.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!