VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

I wonder if OP will learn critical thinking from this, or keep reading shitty tech blogs and repeating what they say without thinking for himself.

The article is obviously bullshit, I'm on Windows 8. Upgrading to Windows 10 is very optional. I've even opted in for the upgrade and it's still very optional to actually go through with it.

"Users have the option to start the process immediately or reschedule it, but there is no longer an option to opt-out of upgrading altogether, ZDNet reports."

I would hardly refer to ZDNet as a "shitty tech blog".

Here's the ZDNet article

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-upgra … fer-no-opt-out/

Reply 22 of 33, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But they opted in already, what's the confusion here?

"Do you want Windows 10?"

"Yes please, hook me up"

"When would you like to install Windows 10?"

"Windows 10?! Microsoft you nefarious bastards!!!"

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 23 of 33, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I would hardly refer to ZDNet as a "shitty tech blog".

That's on you, you just linked to a sensationalistic article with zero fact checking.

How does that not make them a shitty news source? If they're doing it here, it's probably not the first nor last time they will. They are a shitty tech blog.

Please, when you read something, THINK. Don't just accept it as true. Thinking is so important 🙁

Reply 24 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. Saw this yesterday. See if you can spot the fail:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/does-windo … work-windows-10

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 33, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

If you plan on switching to 10 once its been out long enough, I advise you to download the 10 DVD, image your HD, update (so you get the free license), then go back and restore your old 7 install. This way at least you get to use your "free" license once you decided to move - and if you never do, it won't hurt. I say that because after the first year you'll have to pay if you ever want to update, but if you do it before, you're entitled to reinstall it on the same PC anytime and it will activate just fine.

That's a great idea! Thanks, I'll do that.

Unnessary complicated. You can do a clean Win10 install on a separate partition and get your free license. Search for
"gatherosstate.exe" "GenuineTicket"
(Not tried that myself, but planning to.)

FWIW, currently I have the notebook of a friend of my wife at home to try to fix it. After upgrading to Win10 it is stuck in a boot/bluescreen loop.

Reply 27 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The latest builds supposedly support the ability to enter your old Windows key while installing windows. Haven't tried it myself yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 33, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, something to talk about here.
I just assembled a PC for some elders, they just wanted a Windows 7 PC. They do know what they need (that is basic use = reading news, recipes, email, skype and similar stuff) and they do know how to work their way around in a Win7 environment, so Win7 was the way to go.

Proper, legal, Win7 installation. Now let's update it before we hand it over. No optional upgrades, just the so-called "security" updates.

An unwanted, not going away, disturbing, popping up, compulsive icon was dominating the taskbar giving no option to make it disappear, only allowing a Win10 upgrade NOW.
OK, I did make it ^#$@# off, but seriously? Upgrade to 10 as a compulsory security upgrade that some just can't escape? You lost me here, MS. Foul, a big one.

Reply 29 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Microsoft is now forcing the upgrade on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users. Don't leave your PC on and connected to the internet overnight, it might have Windows 10 installed when you wake up in the morning.

Good job I stick to my 386/486's... unless i'm on the laptop (XP). 😁

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 30 of 33, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jesus Christ, don't run XP today. Your 386 on the internet is like pulling teeth, but it's more secure, because there is basically nothing to exploit.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 31 of 33, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to just quickly point out that I'm on Win 8.1 Pro and have not had any update messages pop up relating to Windows 10. In fact, Windows Update isn't even showing me any Win 10 related updates I can apply, required or optional.

That said, it's been a little since I last applied updates, so maybe that has something to do with it. Much later tonight before I go to bed I'll get the regular updates going and see what happens. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 32 of 33, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's all for your own good you know.

Just updated the P200mmx:

Xandros3.png
Filename
Xandros3.png
File size
101.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 33 of 33, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just upgraded my main PC from 7 Pro to 10. Smooth upgrade, all my hardware works [or all that mattered on 7 - including my old Killer NIC and my Xonar DG - even my old Microsoft Strategic Commander!] and it didn't mess up my dual-booting with XP [on a separate drive]; just as well as I got trigger happy and went ahead and upgraded instead of disconnecting the XP drive like I had planned. Haven't tested all my software yet but it all looks hunky dory. Well except XP Mode is removed, but I never found any real use for that anyway.

I've also upgraded a few of our laptops. The consumer-grade stuff that was on 8/8.1 went smoothly, but my works HP8570w had shut down problems after putting 10 on it - solved by doing a clean install of 10.

Never came across this forced upgrade, but I did notice that the Windows 10 upgrade thing at bottom right seemed easier to set off doing the upgrade [once it was ready] than I expected.