Topic actions

Reply 40 of 918, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:
bjt wrote:

Artex - what is that? I honestly have no idea. Looks cool though.

Kia Optima sedan.

Thanks! Yep, 2014 Kia Optima SXL. 2.0L Turbo @ 274HP. Sold the old whip and got this earlier this year. Had to get a 4-door to fit our new arrival. My wife still lets me mod which is cool! Keeping the mods subtle for now, and I threw some K5 badges on there (the Korean version of the car) to hide the fact that it's a Kia 😵 . I really do love the car though - I think they've done very well with this car and I don't cringe when I hear the "Kia" name anymore.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 42 of 918, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4-door. Weird gold/green color, 3.8 V6. Bought it with 156,000 miles now has 157,000 miles 😀 replaced a 1975 honda civic project car.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 43 of 918, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2011 Nissan Altima 3.5SR. 15% FormulaOne Pinnacle Series tint.

2yv8WuS.jpg
X4inw3W.jpg

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 44 of 918, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
Now I use public transportation and it is much more convenient: http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/05/201157-potd.jpg […]
Show full quote

Now I use public transportation and it is much more convenient:
201157-potd.jpg

Ah, the good old TTC. That used to be my ride until I moved. Now I ride a bicycle. It costs me practically nothing to operate.
I once had a car, but I don't miss it at all. Although fun to drive, they're a huge money pit and a major liability.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 45 of 918, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StSam wrote:

I kinda doubt that the pictured Kia belongs to Artex... since it's actually out of shrink wrap 😉

😎 . Nice!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 46 of 918, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

I drive a VAZ 2103 "1500S" and a Volvo 960 "16V turbo", I have owned the Vaz for about 7 years and the Volvo 4 years. I used to change car alot but now I dont and I somehow save alot of money by this behavior change.

I have previously owned 10+ different BMWs so Im the typical Vogons user it seems. I have also owned at least 5 other Volvos, some small Asian death traps, a VW Caravelle from the mid 80s, a Ford Fiesta from the early 90s and an Opel Kadett from 1984.

😲 VAZ? Why? Are you Russian? 🤣

Reply 47 of 918, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I drive a VAZ 2103 "1500S" and a Volvo 960 "16V turbo", I have owned the Vaz for about 7 years and the Volvo 4 years. I used to change car alot but now I dont and I somehow save alot of money by this behavior change.

I have previously owned 10+ different BMWs so Im the typical Vogons user it seems. I have also owned at least 5 other Volvos, some small Asian death traps, a VW Caravelle from the mid 80s, a Ford Fiesta from the early 90s and an Opel Kadett from 1984.

😲 VAZ? Why? Are you Russian? 🤣

Vaz (Lada) were once very common in Sweden as they were the cheapest cars you could buy! 😀

I have it because its economical, no tax, extremly low insurance (less than 100 euro/year) and if the battery go flat you just use the crank! 😈

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 48 of 918, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Vaz (Lada) were once very common in Sweden as they were the cheapest cars you could buy! 😀

I have it because its economical, no tax, extremly low insurance (less than 100 euro/year) and if the battery go flat you just use the crank! 😈

You learn something new every day! A friend of mine once told me that in 90s, when lots of cars were stolen, he had one of the similar cars and at first secured it for the night by removing the battery. When his neighbour's car was stolen despite having no battery, he started taking carburetor home for the night as well 😁

The insurance is not that low if you consider that prices for a car like this start at 150 euros here.

Reply 49 of 918, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

You learn something new every day! A friend of mine once told me that in 90s, when lots of cars were stolen, he had one of the similar cars and at first secured it for the night by removing the battery. When his neighbour's car was stolen despite having no battery, he started taking carburetor home for the night as well 😁

The insurance is not that low if you consider that prices for a car like this start at 150 euros here.

Car insurence costs in Sweden depends on who you are, where you live and where you park your car. For most cars a basic insurance (dosnt cover anything) is 300+ euro/year where I live. The road tax is another ~200 euro/year for a normal sized car, luckily you do not have to pay road tax for cars older than 30 years.

You can actually buy a street legal car in Sweden for 150 euro, its not even hard to find one, its the owner and running costs that are expensive.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 50 of 918, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Car insurence costs in Sweden depends on who you are, where you live and where you park your car. For most cars a basic insurance (dosnt cover anything) is 300+ euro/year where I live. The road tax is another ~200 euro/year for a normal sized car, luckily you do not have to pay road tax for cars older than 30 years.

That road tax is quite the bargain 😀
For my Nissan Micra I would pay 36 euros per month, so 432 euros per year.
My BMW 325i Coupe costs me 68 euros per month, so 816 euros per year.
Those are petrol, so cheapest road tax category. Diesels are considerably more expensive (roughly twice as much), and LPG is more expensive still.

And then there's the parking permit. I believe that is some 80 euros per year per car.

For the US people... We are currently in a 'cheap' phase in terms of petrol. That is, I pay around 1.50 euros per liter now. It has been over 1.70 at times.
Converting that to US$ would be about $1.66 per liter. Which is about $6.28 per gallon.

Last edited by Scali on 2015-10-28, 09:04. Edited 2 times in total.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 51 of 918, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Russia we have liability insurance that is obligatory and covers the cases when you are a culprit in road accidents with other cars or people involved. Say, if you run into the back of a mercedes, its owner repairs it for your insurance money and you repair your car for your own. It costs from 50 to 350 euros and depends on the car (model year, hp) and your personal data - age, experience and largely previous accidents. If you have two cars, you have to pay twice despite the fact that you insure your liability and not your car...

The Russian don't make a lot of money and it is considered a significant sum. 250 euros is the average salary for the working class. The last time I payed 100 euros (5 consequent years with no incidents), people generally pay more. Insurance cost doubled (in some cases almost tripled) since last year and is a subject of fierce discussions among people.

Apart from that, we pay "vehicle tax", around 120 euros for 220 hp. And that's basically it 😀

Reply 52 of 918, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of rides:

gfn9r9W.jpg

2sKLgE4.jpg

Used to have a car, but we used it so seldom since moving to Munich... we got rid of it. I wasn't at all attached to it anyway, it was just a little 1.1L Getz.

Reply 53 of 918, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

In Russia we have liability insurance that is obligatory and covers the cases when you are a culprit in road accidents with other cars or people involved. Say, if you run into the back of a mercedes, its owner repairs it for your insurance money and you repair your car for your own. It costs from 50 to 350 euros and depends on the car (model year, hp) and your personal data - age, experience and largely previous accidents. If you have two cars, you have to pay twice despite the fact that you insure your liability and not your car...

The system in Germany is basically the same, except that you have the option to insure your car for accidents that are your fault as well. This mostly makes sense for newer cars, since it usually is expensive - except for mine 😊

dexter311 wrote:
I have a couple of rides: […]
Show full quote

I have a couple of rides:

gfn9r9W.jpg

Ah yes, U4/U5 Stachus 🤣 immediately recognized it, I was there only two days ago 🤣

I drive a 2003 Opel Astra G 2.0 DTi. Boring, but reliable and very cheap to run, and compared to newer station wagons it has a lot of room (one might say it's bigger on the inside 😉 ). And I've grown quite attached to it over the last ten years. Till inspection do us apart / Bis der TÜV uns scheidet 🤣

So, mostly this car, and once every two weeks or so I use the train and the Munich public transportation system.

Reply 54 of 918, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Living wrote:
Drive...i ride this everyday. Its plain stupid drive a car in citys like Buenos Aires. […]
Show full quote

Drive...i ride this everyday. Its plain stupid drive a car in citys like Buenos Aires.

arton9104.jpg

1226606975818_f.jpg

Haha, living in Villa del Parque and studying Derecho ?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 55 of 918, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Used to drive this and I absolutely loved it, so much effort and time to have it completely stock but fully loaded with oem goodies

10gzqdw.jpg

then kids arrived to my life and had to switch to this pig, same brand though soulless

50fvx1.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 57 of 918, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Kids and baby seats fit in my convertible just fine. Don't see the need for a four door car. Maybe for teenagers?

Where do you put your luggage (pram, suitcases, etc.) when you want to travel somewhere?
Hence, the benefit of a large 4 door sedan with a big trunk or "boot" as we call it here in South Africa (pronounced the same way as the ones you wear on your feet) 🤣

Reply 58 of 918, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Kids and baby seats fit in my convertible just fine. Don't see the need for a four door car. Maybe for teenagers?

Prelude's back seats were a joke, and the trunk space was enough for a pair of medium sized suitcases, that's it. It really is a car for 2.
I hate 4 door sedan's are the most boring thing on earth (unless it's an M5 I guess), some day I'll have my sports-coupe back.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 59 of 918, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I was a teenager back in the 90s I looked at an 86 Fiero, but I decided not to buy it because it had 172K miles.
Fast forward over a decade later, I looked at another 86 Fiero, and guess how many miles it had. This time 172K didn't seem like a big deal anymore and I bought it. It had some problems at first, as expected, but over time it became mechanically sound and it has served as a reliable car.
I like the relative simplicity of early EFI era GMs, and I understand them better than anything else. I like the self reliance that comes with all that. I feel like it's feasible to keep them running almost forever on a moderate budget. Such old cars have been documented to death. Even the ECM programming has largely been reverse engineered at this point. I guess it's not that hard for people to crack a 4KB ROM running on a 1980s 8-bit CPU. 😀 Everything is so much more complicated now. When I've tried to help people fix problems on newer cars, I tend to get frustrated and annoyed.
The suspension is shot, it really needs to be overhauled. Body is terrible and I don't want to spend money on that. Engine/trans are still good.