Common searches

What do you drive?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 918, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2003 Honda Civic I plan to drive until it dies at a ripe old age (hopefully not now, it would be a really inopportune time) - like all my technological devices. Got it used with 62,000 miles on it. I've had it for eight years and in that time only put around another 110,000 miles on it.

I can post photos I guess but it's, what, another Honda Civic? Plus I spent all my character generation points on nerd skillz, so it's really badly maintained by yours truly 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 918, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

1996 Honda Accord LX Station Wagon.

n4s8pDsl.png

My daily driver - dependable, reliable, and practical (just like my retro PCs 😊 ).

For the fun factor days I take out my father's old car, a 1968 Ford Mustang GT Coupe with a 289 V8; he got it used back in 1971, and drove it until 1991 when he bought a new Chevy S10 Pickup Truck which he still drives to this day. The Mustang has over 100,000 miles already and is showing its age - it's in a local auto repair shop right now for some badly needed mechanical work (new shocks, wheel bearings and brake pads); I should get it back by mid-November.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 22 of 918, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fun question! I "drive" the NYC Subway. Car are pretty much optional in the city but none the less I've had a few over the years. Looking back it looks like this:

Renault R5 (friend owed me a couple of bucks and gave me this instead - had for couple of months)
AMC Gremlin - yep.. that car... (3-4 years)
Chevy Townsman station wagon (on and off loaner)
1975 Plymouth Scamp - famous indestructible slant-6. Great car - inherited after folks got new car
Karmann Ghia red hardtop (1 glorious summer)
Mazda GLC (looked after it for a few years and used it as mine). Very decent ride.
Fiat Bertone X1/9 - bought for $1 and two bottles of wine. 50k plus miles of back road roadtrips around US. *Fun* car.

Reply 23 of 918, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Plus I spent all my character generation points on nerd skillz, so it's really badly maintained by yours truly 😁

Dude you made me spit coffee all over my monitor 😀

Scali wrote:

Even more BMWs 😀
Are we seeing a pattern? Vintage/retrocomputing afficinados prefer BMWs? 😀

well, over here (Romania) you can get a second had 2014 BMW with 20000-30000 km on it for about 20-30k euro depending on engine / mileage / options. Parts are pretty cheap and almost nobody services them at dealerships. I do all the work on my cars myself, and parts are surprisingly cheap*. Plus they are decently reliable and really fun to drive. They can be both docile and exciting. I payed 6000 euros for my cabrio in 2012. It had 152k kilometers on it, came with two sets of wheels (16" + winter tires and 18" + sport summer tires), a hardtop and wind deflector. The E30 is my first car. My dad bought it in '94 and I inherited it in 2006.

*new Behr radiator for it set me back 217 lei - that's about 55$.

Reply 24 of 918, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep servicing a BMW at the dealership out of warranty is asking for money trouble. Luckily there are loads of garages here staffed by ex BMW/Merc/VW mechanics.

Artex - what is that? I honestly have no idea. Looks cool though.

Saw a Tesla S at the weekend. Very surprised to see one in these parts (West Yorkshire).

Reply 25 of 918, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

Plus I spent all my character generation points on nerd skillz, so it's really badly maintained by yours truly 😁

Dude you made me spit coffee all over my monitor 😀

It's still pretty true though. Sports, what's that? Cars? meh - so long as it gets me from point A to point B. But start talking next-gen computer systems, gaming of all kinds, science fiction and I am suddenly in my element. Wish I wasn't such a stereotype sometimes but ... heh. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 918, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea well, I figure it comes with driving a BMW. If you want a car like that, you shouldn't just be able to afford to buy it, but also the upkeep.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 28 of 918, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

Yea well, I figure it comes with driving a BMW. If you want a car like that, you shouldn't just be able to afford to buy it, but also the upkeep.

Well, just to get an overall idea of the upkeep, I make ~400 euro / month and can afford to maintain my daily driver and keep the old timer on the road.

Reply 29 of 918, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
1996 Honda Accord LX Station Wagon. […]
Show full quote

1996 Honda Accord LX Station Wagon.

n4s8pDsl.png

My daily driver - dependable, reliable, and practical (just like my retro PCs 😊 ).

I've always liked sport hatches, be them 5-door or 3-door. You don't see Accord hatchbacks that often. I dig it.

Reply 30 of 918, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XL. Sorry for the crappy picture, I've got nothing better at hand 😀

3.0 Litre V6, 220 hp. Great car for Russia, steers like a sedan on summer asphalt and is not afraid of deep winter snow or some mud. Very popular around here 😀
Photo0096%20-%20%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%8F.jpg

Reply 31 of 918, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Nissan Sunny Coupe (Equal usage of Oil and Gas drove that for 6 Month 😁)
2. New Opel Corsa B (Crashed in a sharp turn after 6 month 😊 )
3. Opel Vectra A (Someone Crashed into my Back and totaled it after 6 Month)
4. Opel Vectra A (Drove it for 6 Month) you see the 6 Month pattern? 😁
5. Opel Calibra V6 (This broke the 6 Month pattern i drove it from 2001ish-2009)
6. New Opel Astra GTC (My present car and the only i have a picture of)
93WTpR1l.jpg

My YouTube Channel

Reply 32 of 918, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

This means that US cars can only be run on LPG really, since it's far cheaper than petrol. Downside is that LPG has much higher road tax, so you need to drive a certain amount of miles per year before the savings in fuel cancel out the fixed taxes.

Interesting. You are from GB IIRC? In Germany road tax is the same for LPG and petrol cars, Diesel cars have higher road tax though.

To be on topic: Dacia Lodgy TCe 115. Quite economic (good mileage), decent acceleration, lots of space so it makes a good family van, and a lot of headroom so I can sit comfortably on all seats (except third row).

Perhaps mostly people who are into cars are posting here? Obviously those will tend to have faster cars.

Reply 33 of 918, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My family car... Opel Astra H 2005 caravan CDTI 1.7 74kw - nice for moving large amounts of computers, CRT monitors and boxes of components 😁 Otherwise I like it as it's very reliable and with my light foot very economic too.

I used to log fuel consumption and there is also a small picture here:
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/472678.html

Now-a-days I have even lower fuel consumption - around 4.2 to 4.5L/100km (that's around 55MPG US).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 34 of 918, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
My family car... Opel Astra H 2005 caravan CDTI 1.7 74kw - nice for moving large amounts of computers, CRT monitors and boxes of […]
Show full quote

My family car... Opel Astra H 2005 caravan CDTI 1.7 74kw - nice for moving large amounts of computers, CRT monitors and boxes of components 😁 Otherwise I like it as it's very reliable and with my light foot very economic too.

I used to log fuel consumption and there is also a small picture here:
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/472678.html

Now-a-days I have even lower fuel consumption - around 4.2 to 4.5L/100km (that's around 55MPG US).

Mine consumes 12-13 L/100km during summer and 17 in winter. And that is considered quite low for the size...

Reply 35 of 918, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to rebuild the whole interior and it was a lot of fun.
It was a bit like building a retro rig 😁

Now I use public transportation and it is much more convenient:
201157-potd.jpg

Last edited by Arctic on 2019-12-30, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 918, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I drive this bad boy over here:

Used_Volkswagen_Fox_2008_Silver_Unleaded_Manual_for_Sale_in_London_UK.jpgUsed_Volkswagen_Fox_Silver_2008_Unleaded_for_Sale_in_UK.jpg

Volkswagen Fox circa 2008, silver-white color

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan 🤣 . It's rather small, which I guess is the main feature this being an urban car, however I would have at least liked it to have 4 doors instead of 2. It's also been rather finicky, driver's window mechanism is almost FUBAR, when it gets even slightly cold it refuses to close all the way... Car radio was also DOA and had to be replaced and its replacement also proved to problematic. At least the car has never shown any real issues when driving.

It is really easy to drive though and I've only been driving for slightly more than a year now. I honestly can't complain, the alternative was driving a 1600cc family station wagon (Hyundai Lantra Wagon to be precise) and I'm not driving that much anyway (I use the commute mostly).

Reply 38 of 918, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would have picked the Fox / Lupo over the wagon any day. Small, nimble and easy to park. Then again, I'm partial to small cars. I'm thinking of getting the 2010 Z4 when it gets cheap enough. Love the styling and honestly I don't mind the fact it's a 2 seater. 90% of the time it's just me in the car anyway, the other 10% is me and my fiancee when we go out and stuff.

Reply 39 of 918, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I drive a VAZ 2103 "1500S" and a Volvo 960 "16V turbo", I have owned the Vaz for about 7 years and the Volvo 4 years. I used to change car alot but now I dont and I somehow save alot of money by this behavior change.

I have previously owned 10+ different BMWs so Im the typical Vogons user it seems. I have also owned at least 5 other Volvos, some small Asian death traps, a VW Caravelle from the mid 80s, a Ford Fiesta from the early 90s and an Opel Kadett from 1984.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.