Topic actions

Reply 40 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

I agree with the Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. Great game.

I played that one but it seemed like it was over too quickly. I don't play a lot of online multiplayer so the single player mode in games is important to me. If I can whiz through a game in single player mode in a short amount of time, I feel cheated.

It looks awesome... similar post-apoc style world as Fallout 3, thrown in with a bit of res-evil... and without the RPG aspect I suspect.

If it doesn't take long to finish in single mode... I may yet get 2 games under my belt! Though purely for my sentiments and appreciation for Fallout... this one is a definite go'er!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 41 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
carlostex wrote:

Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis

Looking at this reminds me of Project IGI... that game was awesome. Quite tactical, required a bit of thinking before doing... for def not your typical running around and shoot at everything FPS.

Operation Flashpoint changed my life and taste for the FPS genre and i never looked back.

Why Operation Flashpoint is so good.

Due to copyright ownership of the name, you can now get it on Steam as ARMA:Cold War Assault

Last edited by carlostex on 2015-11-09, 09:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 81, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake - in my opinion the most important (with most impact) FPS game ever.
Honorable mentions:
System Shock 2, Deus Ex series, Aliens vs Predator, Rage, Doom, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Thief.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 44 of 81, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me all Unreal series, also Quake and DOOM, AvP2, Chaser and CoD and Painkiller.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 45 of 81, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I agree with all your worst FPS choices except for the original DOOM. It is blocky, but I find the graphics quite beautiful compared to DOOM 2. Its' also pretty interesting to find somebody who hates quake. I thought it was just me.

Count me in. I played original Quake much much less than I played Wolf3D, Doom, Doom 2, Dark Forces and Duke 3D; and enjoyed it far less when compared to the same. Almost never played Quake II and later. Moreover, both my contemporary and retro rigs have Doom, Wolf3D, Duke 3D, Dark Forces on them (and I'm actively playing them), but none of the Quake versions.

For the "best FPS ever"? I really don't know. But I was addicted to Wolf3D and Doom I/II, loved Duke 3D and Dark Forces and many other more contemporary ones. I also need to say that, my last multiplay game was Quake and the year was 1997, so I'm almost 100% single player.

I played these below till the end with no apparent dislikes and actually enjoying myself a lot:
- Wolf3D / Spear of Destiny
- Doom / Doom II
- Dark Forces / Jedi Knight / Mysteries of the Sith / Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Half Life / Opposing Force / Blue Shift / Half Life 2 / Expansion Episodes
- Far Cry / Crysis / Crysis Warhead / Crysis 2
- Call of Duty / United Offensive / Call of Duty 2 / World at War
- Medal of Honor / Spearhead / Breakthrough / Pacific Assault
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Soldier of Fortune
- Postal 2 / Apocalypse Weekend / Paradise Lost
- Outlaws
- Turning Point (I liked it, really)

I lost my interest after a few levels for the ones below:
- Blake Stone / Corridor 7
- Rise of the Triad / Rise of the Triad 2013 (I hated it)
- Wolfenstein (2009)
- Red faction / Red Faction II
- Republic Commando
- Far Cry 2
- Sin
- Quake and Quake 2 (played Quake multiplay a lot in ancient times though)
- Alien Trilogy / Aliens vs Predator
- Doom 3
- Heretic / Hexen / Hexen II
- Blood / Blood II
- ARMA / ARMA 2 / ARMA Cold War Assault
- Battlefield 1942 / Star Wars Battlefront / Star Wars Battlefront II (single player sucks)
- Force of Resistance (real garbage)
- Call of Juarez
- C&C Renegade
- Iron Storm (real garbage)
- Redneck Rampage
- Serious Sam First Encounter / Second Encounter
- Soldier of Fortune II

I'm still in the process of playing with and enjoying myself:
- MOH Airborne
- Duke Nukem Forever (no, it's not that bad)
- Far Cry 3
- Bioshock

There are also still others that I own, but not tried yet:
- Bioshock 2 / Bioshock Infinite
- Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
- Deus Ex / Deus Ex 2
- FEAR / FEAR 2
- Judge Dredd
- Kingpin
- Chronicles of Riddick
- Metro 2003 / Metro Last Light
- Painkiller / Black Edition / Overdose
- Pariah
- Red Line
- Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl / Clear Sky / Call of Pripyat
- Shadow Warrior
- Shogo
- System Shock / System Shock 2
- Warsow
- Unreal / Unreal 2 / Unreal Tournament

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-11-10, 08:35. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 46 of 81, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:

If you leave it long enough between plays.... ~ 10 years, it almost will be.

I played it last year @ 5292x1050 with the dx10 renderer

@Tiger433
Chaser was really underrated although I think they stretched the game too far.

@tayyare
All your to play games are very good (apart from Dredd vs Death and Warsow)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 47 of 81, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've played quite a bit of FPS titles. Some of my favourites are (excluding games like Fallout and Deus Ex, which are more RPG-ey):

* Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: Basically the game that reinvented the modern FPS genre. Singleplayer campaign is great, too.

* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Still the pinnacle of arcade-y modern FPS. Its fast pacing and precise gameplay (hooray for hitscans) + tons of weapons, perks and customizations make it enjoyable for eternal play (I've spent more than 2200 hours on the multiplayer). SP campaign is great.

* Far Cry 4: It expands FC3 far and beyond. Mechanics are great (par with MW's), multitude of guns and tactics. ANIMAL FIGHTING YEAAA! Too bad the coop mode is buggy 🙁

* Insurgency: One of the best coop games I've played. Too bad devs still use Source engine, which is very limited compared to any modern 3d engine. Still receives updates from devs, which is awesome.

* Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood: Wild West is one of my favourite themes (alongside with Prohibition/Sicilian Mafia). Nicely executed, even though there are some plot holes.

* Call of Juarez: Gunslinger: They simplified some of the mechanics to offer a more straightforward experience. Really cool plot. Gorgeous art and good graphics. The only bad thing is that they didn't implement multiplayer, which would be great.

* Bioshock (series): I must be one of the few people that like the 2nd chapter better than the first. Infinity is on another level of awesomeness. If you have not played it and crave for nice plots, do not waste another minute.

* STALKER (series): Awesome immersion. Bad engine. Loads of guns. All for all, good games.

* Crysis (and Warhead): If you put the whole resource hog apart it's a pretty solid shooter with cool mechanics and very large maps. Really fun to play.

* Postal 2: Dumb fun.

* Call of Duty 1/2: Great for their time as it added the "real war" feeling with comrades that fought alongside you (enve though they sucked most of the time and couldn't hit anything, hahaha)

And some of the games I can't play at all (because either horribad or didn't feel right at all):

* Doom 3: The departure from the tried and true run'n'gun formula from the previous titles was too much to bear.

* ARMA Series: Way too much simulator into it. Spending 15 minutes walking on a forest and firing a rifle with a 1x Red Dot sight at enemies at 300 meters isn't slightly my definition of having fun.

* Call of Duty: Ghosts: Should I say anything more? Uninspired, boring, repetitive, etc.

* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: My biggest disappointment in gaming, ever. Was so hyped I pre-ordered it. After half hour on singleplayer I knew instantly that the MP portion was ruined, too. 🙁

* Painkiller: Very repetitive. And by that I mean really, really repetitive.

* Serious Sam: Same as above. A bit more repetitive, though.

* Call of Juarez: The Cartel: EVERYTHING WAS WRONG

Last edited by Snayperskaya on 2015-11-09, 21:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 48 of 81, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My list of the 5 best....

1: Unreal Tournament 99
2: Doom2
3: Doom1
4: Duke3D
5: Wolfenstein3D

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 49 of 81, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
My list of the 5 best.... […]
Show full quote

My list of the 5 best....

1: Unreal Tournament 99
2: Doom2
3: Doom1
4: Duke3D
5: Wolfenstein3D

Put Dark Forces instead of Unreal, and we are brothers! 😁

I find many other contemporary titles immensely enjoyable (Half Life 2 , Crysis, Far Cry, WWII MOH and COD, etc.) but those "first 5" will always be "THE" first five for me I guess.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 50 of 81, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm... "Dark forces tournament 99" 🤣
Would be an awesome game though, if existed.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 51 of 81, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

The guy working on the Dark Forces engine remake, DarkXL (now called XL Engine), said he might be able to use Outlaws network code to create netplay deathmatch. Don't think he ever finished even with the engine though. Wouldn't help either since you said "tournament 99" and he was still sticking to the original Dark Forces aesthetic.

As I recall someone did a Dark Forces total conversion of another game but only got done the first six levels, I think they modded Jedi Academy. You could get most of the way with that! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 52 of 81, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I agree, though. Dark Forces was something godsend during the times since both myself and my home mates were SW nuts, but since we already had the multiplayer bug from Doom / Doom II, it felt always a bit "not complete" (I would love to play it cooperatively, that's for sure).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 53 of 81, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

I played that one but it seemed like it was over too quickly.

One of reasons - it's only one part of 3 in the series, some locations were cut off. Also, many modern FPS are short - up to 6 hours. If to use more time for reasearching levels but not only to run the story, SoC may be played longer.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 54 of 81, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very, very hard question. I've played a lot more than any other genre and there are so many good ones.

Top 5 in no particular order (I cheated there are 10!)

Standard choices that most will agree with
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Half Life
Unreal Tournament (the first one of course)

A bit less popular personal favourites
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Shogo
Sin
Soldier of Fortune

Reply 55 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nintendawg wrote:

A bit less popular personal favourites
Blood

Was Blood an extension to the games running off the DOOM engine?

I remember there were one or two that followed after DOOM like Hexen and Heretic... Blood gameplay looks very familiar.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 56 of 81, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blood's technically BUILD-based, though it's a unique case since it really tore apart Build and replaced certain subsystems that limited their ambitions (like cache/memory management) and overhauled the tools for their own content pipelines. It also began development in 1994, around the same time as the first wave of BUILD games began development (Duke3D, Powerslavexhumed, and SW also began in 94)

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-11-15, 06:25. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 57 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:
sliderider wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

I played that one but it seemed like it was over too quickly.

One of reasons - it's only one part of 3 in the series, some locations were cut off. Also, many modern FPS are short - up to 6 hours. If to use more time for reasearching levels but not only to run the story

So there are 2 other related games / add-ons or the 2 other parts are in the game but need to be unlocked by the player through playing the game?

Fallout 3 can be completed long before you have been everywhere... by visiting only the bare minimum of places. I remember showing up and discovering a new area for the first time near the vault where I'd started... at the end of the game and all beefed up, the remaining raiders stood no chance needless to say.

Reply 58 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snayperskaya wrote:

I've played quite a bit of FPS titles. Some of my favourites are (excluding games like Fallout and Deus Ex, which are more RPG-ey):

* Bioshock (series): I must be one of the few people that like the 2nd chapter better than the first. Infinity is on another level of awesomeness. If you have not played it and crave for nice plots, do not waste another minute.

Not seen this one before! It looks pretty dark... with similar gameplay to Fallout.

Reply 59 of 81, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:

Not seen this one before! It looks pretty dark... with similar gameplay to Fallout.

What.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto