Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1680 of 2070, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-16, 19:57:

Bought a pair of Fractal Design Focus G cases.

Been using one on my Windows XP build and really like it, especially the amount of airflow in more modern cases.

Decided to get a couple more for my current Windows 98 and planned K6-2 500 DOS builds.

I like this case; simple, compatible, and cheap. Thanks for posting! I’ll get some myself.

Reply 1681 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the look of this one :

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811445010?Item … N82E16811445010

I hesitate and mull over extensively all purchases. So don't buy them out on me. I think I want one.

It says below it'll take an e-atx motherboard. But sometimes that's deceiving. E-atx can really mean anything. Iow the designation of e-atx doesn't necessarily equate to ssi-eeb/ceb/teb compatible (but iinm ssi-ceb means 12" x 10.5" so I would think any "e-atx" case could handle that).

Reply 1682 of 2070, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

re: "GAMEMAX Brufen C3 WB"... quite fancy indeed, front in particular!
But I need my ODD fix, so no worries on my part (for any buyout, that is) 💿.
And... what's with that humongous fan directly 'behind' the mobo/cpu cutout...(!) 😆

Reply 1683 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had nearly no sleep yesterday. Like I was awake for nearly 23 hours. That feature made sense yesterday. Not so much today. It shouldn't hurt anything. You could be the only kid on the block who's motherboard has a "keester" fan. Think about it 😀.

Reply 1684 of 2070, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2022-09-17, 11:32:

Seems like they even come in nice red or blue colours (as well as white/grey/black), and even the price is quite reasonable(15euro more than the cheapest/crappiest ATX towers available), hmmm... Strange how the red one cost so much more than the others though... 🤨

I find the blue and red versions harder to come by, which might be why they are asking for more money.

Conversely, the grey model I was able to get at a discount.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1685 of 2070, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thread cleanup for Bought this (Modern) hardware today
Any discussions that don't match this should be discussed (not argued or insulted) elsewhere.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1686 of 2070, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brawndo wrote on 2022-09-12, 23:32:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-09-11, 20:46:

I'll switch over to AM5 after the platform and DDR5 matures, likely with Zen5. For now, I'll just be watching out for some good DDR4 RAM to double mine to 32GB.

I was pretty bummed to find out the Zen 7000 CPUs will require a new platform. A little over a year ago I went all out and built a powerhouse 5950X based system, but now it looks like I won't be able to just bump up the CPU. Oh well, I'll just build a new one in another few years.

I knew when I built my main desktop that it would likely be the last cpu for it: DosFreak All System Specs 10-25-2022
I tend to not upgrade my CPU and mobo independently since I tend to keep both for 5+yrs, and then I decid if if it's worth upgrading depending on cost, upcoming tech, if I "need" to, etc.
Depending on your usage and the types of apps and games you use the 5800X3D may be an upgrade but I doubt anyone would bother to do so with a 5950x.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1687 of 2070, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-09-17, 16:26:

I had nearly no sleep yesterday. Like I was awake for nearly 23 hours. That feature made sense yesterday. Not so much today. It shouldn't hurt anything. You could be the only kid on the block who's motherboard has a "keester" fan. Think about it 😀.

I was messing with backside fans early in the noughties, could get 2 or 3 centigrade off CPU temps. Only thing against them really was that they looked fugly to retrofit. When you think about it, heat doesn't give a crap which way it goes, and we only try to suck it off the top half of the board, through the chips, when they're also dumping a lot into the ground and power planes of a board through the pins. If blowers weren't so screamy it would probably be worth making an air plenum with the motherboard as one surface, and blasting air through. If you really wanna go all out on air cooling, you can also contemplate shaving backside socket pins (Not really applicable to most modern sockets) and using thermal pads and an anodised heatsink (Full anodisation means the surface not electrically conductive) clamped down, you might be able to suck about a third of the watts out that way, leaving headroom for the main cooler. I had a lashup something like that on a socket A rig, sandwich cooler kinda deally, 25CFM blowers. But it was LOUD. Got about 150mhz more out of it than a "mainstream" Volcano 7 did, but it wasn't a silicon lottery golden ticket I was messing with, just a regular XP1800 palomino. I was thinking it was development for some more godly thoroughbred build, but it turned out the board had limitations which nixed that idea. Unfortunately, it pre-dated the absolute ubiquity* of digital cams by a year or two, so don't have any pics saved.

* ubiquity.... meaning they were everywhere.. I get "tech history lawyers" telling me that digital cameras came out in the late 1990s and implying everyone on the planet got issued one instantly. No dumbass, they were expensive and complex and didn't really get mass adoption until a few years into the 00s when prices came down, media got big enough to hold more than 10 shots, and they appeared in regular stores.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1688 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't they refer to it as an overclocking fan.or some such? A board will absorb heat, especially if you're pushing the chipset. Makes perfect sense to cool tje backside/keester of the mobo really. Even if the benefits are only minimal.

Reply 1690 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-09-19, 15:06:

* ubiquity.... meaning they were everywhere.. I get "tech history lawyers" telling me that digital cameras came out in the late 1990s and implying everyone on the planet got issued one instantly. No dumbass, they were expensive and complex and didn't really get mass adoption until a few years into the 00s when prices came down, media got big enough to hold more than 10 shots, and they appeared in regular stores.

I rememner Officemax blowing out Digittex digicams for 10$. I bought 3 or 4. They were kind of biggish but took AAs, which was great bevause I was getting into lion rechargeables. It would drain a set of cheapo panasonics after 3 photos. I was amazed at the detail. But the photos, a few I still habe, look kind of gnarly.

I want to say this was in 05. A friend spent 2500$ on a brand new computer system, which included a "nice" camera, by my estimation. This was in 00. The reason he bought it was so he could sell stuff on ebay, as he had literally had a basememt full of model trains. Then he died 9/10/01. I would have to guess the camera he had, and I dom't remember seeimg a namebrand, was probably 2-300$.

A few years before the digittex I bought a little aiptek thing for 40$ I think. When I managed to loosen the.lense from the grip of whatever glue they used to lock it in place, I could vary the focal length and open up a book and photograph both pages and it would be totally legible when viewed on a laptop. Meanwhile genius' were telling me digicams were terrible at archiving documents, as there were too many artifacts and such.

Reply 1691 of 2070, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Steam Deck/GabeBoy arrived earlier this week. Got the middle one with the nvme SSD and reflective screen. A very good way to go through the hundreds of games in my backlog.

image1.jpg
Filename
image1.jpg
File size
588.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Doing a good job of being what my PSP was before - portable entertainment for the Sofa/Bed. Steam games for now, will be installing GoG stuff and emulators later on.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1692 of 2070, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Man, I so cannot wait until I get an email saying that my Steam Deck is ready to get purchased.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1693 of 2070, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More upgrades for my desktop; this time we are upgrading to 32GB to run Linux VMs better.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1694 of 2070, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always on the lookout for cheap Win98 SSD drives to stockpile for when its no longer profitable to sell such low density drives I came across this:

https://www.amazon.com/120GB-Internal-Laptop- … /dp/B0B25CQKTB/

cryogenic.jpg
Filename
cryogenic.jpg
File size
36.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So um, I find it hard to believe that it's waterproof, but Cryogenic? How does that work? Are they saying it will still function when temps are so cold electrons stop moving?

cry·o·gen·ic
/krīəˈjenik/
adjective
1. relating to or involving the branch of physics that deals with the production and effects of very low temperatures.

I bought 4 of them.

Edit: I browsed a paper about this and it summarizes : "The cryogenic operation of 3-D flash memory enables new applications and can greatly improve future computing and storage devices."

So there you go. I'm now setting up a cryogenic tank to hold my 120GB Flash storage.

Reply 1695 of 2070, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The stars aligned or something. I hit two yard sales claiming to have computer parts, and they actually had what us guys would call computer parts, not just a high mileage keyboard and mouse and a few manky cables. They're only borderline modern I guess, but too new for the retro thread for a couple of years maybe. ..

1st sale, picked up Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0, which seems like a very nice AM3+ board, should run anything and has all the OC options, crossfire or SLI supported with slots spaced 2 apart not just 1 in between. That Athlon II 620 I got last month is still uncommitted so it will probably get that until something tasty turns up for cheap. Then an M4A785-M matx board, still nicer than other boards I've got, that also will take the cheaper 125W chips at least, has some OC options too. Came with an "Athlon II" installed not sure which yet, might only be an X2 since the cooler looks a little on the weak side. Also grabbed the best GPU there which was an EVGA GTX 560TI 2GB, though I didn't quite realise how "watty" those were, still lands somewhere between a 1030 and 1050 in grunt. I'm kinda second guessing not getting others, boxed 9250, HD5770, though I have two underemployed 8400GTs so no regrets about leaving one of those. Mostly I guess it was only the 5770 that I miiight have been glad of sometime, if I needed slot powered modest grunt. Then I can't let cheap terabytes slide so grabbed a 1TB 3.5 SATA WD green too.

2nd sale. Not so much here, got an Antec Truepower New TP-550 (semi) modular PSU, it's the one by Seasonic with Japanese caps, so should be useful. Then 6GB of DDR2 modules, 2x2 2x1 and a pile of 80mm fans thrown in, which I thought I had plenty of until earlier this year when I did some older rig fan replacements, then realised I had a lot of weak and worn out ones.

Was also a little sad to leave some nice big cases behind, mid tower beasts, got no room at the moment, will probably really regret it if I get all my rigs built and organised and have no homes for the rest of the parts. Also been dawning on me that I could have scared up a board for E5 haswell Xeons the first guy had, gah.

Life ain't perfect of course, or the 1055 X6 125W or the FX-6150 that two local guys been trying to sell cheap for months wouldn't have dissappeared the second I brought boards home that could use them. Ah well, I'll just stay on the prowl.

Anyway, that's the money gone I got last Sunday when fam dragged me to the racetrack and I had $5 on a longshot romp home. They were all asking me how I knew, I said if I KNEW it would have had a damn sight more than $5 on 🤣 ... then I'd have spent this weekend buying threadrippers and 3080s etc. 🤣

Edit: Guess confirmed, Athlon II X2 260 65W in there... hmm ATI hybrid graphics, HD4200 ... wonder if that will like a HD4650 or a 4850 buddy.

Edit 2: Damn, all the info got muddied up with APU hybrid crossfire stuff and original pages deleted. Third hand, it seems like the HD4200 only pairs with HD34x0 ... not other 4xx0 ... but whatevs, I've got an otherwise useless HD3450 kicking around. May as well see what it does.

Edit 3: gotta keep this bookmarked, got unlocking capabilities in these chipsets, so unpopular X3s are on the radar https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Ms49 … aB8b54/htmlview ... also got Phenom X3 8450s that choke trying to clock on PM6100 boards, maybe try those out.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1696 of 2070, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-09-24, 21:08:
The stars aligned or something. I hit two yard sales claiming to have computer parts, and they actually had what us guys would c […]
Show full quote

The stars aligned or something. I hit two yard sales claiming to have computer parts, and they actually had what us guys would call computer parts, not just a high mileage keyboard and mouse and a few manky cables. They're only borderline modern I guess, but too new for the retro thread for a couple of years maybe. ..

1st sale, picked up Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0, which seems like a very nice AM3+ board, should run anything and has all the OC options, crossfire or SLI supported with slots spaced 2 apart not just 1 in between. That Athlon II 620 I got last month is still uncommitted so it will probably get that until something tasty turns up for cheap. Then an M4A785-M matx board, still nicer than other boards I've got, that also will take the cheaper 125W chips at least, has some OC options too. Came with an "Athlon II" installed not sure which yet, might only be an X2 since the cooler looks a little on the weak side. Also grabbed the best GPU there which was an EVGA GTX 560TI 2GB, though I didn't quite realise how "watty" those were, still lands somewhere between a 1030 and 1050 in grunt. I'm kinda second guessing not getting others, boxed 9250, HD5770, though I have two underemployed 8400GTs so no regrets about leaving one of those. Mostly I guess it was only the 5770 that I miiight have been glad of sometime, if I needed slot powered modest grunt. Then I can't let cheap terabytes slide so grabbed a 1TB 3.5 SATA WD green too.

2nd sale. Not so much here, got an Antec Truepower New TP-550 (semi) modular PSU, it's the one by Seasonic with Japanese caps, so should be useful. Then 6GB of DDR2 modules, 2x2 2x1 and a pile of 80mm fans thrown in, which I thought I had plenty of until earlier this year when I did some older rig fan replacements, then realised I had a lot of weak and worn out ones.

Was also a little sad to leave some nice big cases behind, mid tower beasts, got no room at the moment, will probably really regret it if I get all my rigs built and organised and have no homes for the rest of the parts. Also been dawning on me that I could have scared up a board for E5 haswell Xeons the first guy had, gah.

Life ain't perfect of course, or the 1055 X6 125W or the FX-6150 that two local guys been trying to sell cheap for months wouldn't have dissappeared the second I brought boards home that could use them. Ah well, I'll just stay on the prowl.

Anyway, that's the money gone I got last Sunday when fam dragged me to the racetrack and I had $5 on a longshot romp home. They were all asking me how I knew, I said if I KNEW it would have had a damn sight more than $5 on 🤣 ... then I'd have spent this weekend buying threadrippers and 3080s etc. 🤣

Edit: Guess confirmed, Athlon II X2 260 65W in there... hmm ATI hybrid graphics, HD4200 ... wonder if that will like a HD4650 or a 4850 buddy.

Edit 2: Damn, all the info got muddied up with APU hybrid crossfire stuff and original pages deleted. Third hand, it seems like the HD4200 only pairs with HD34x0 ... not other 4xx0 ... but whatevs, I've got an otherwise useless HD3450 kicking around. May as well see what it does.

Edit 3: gotta keep this bookmarked, got unlocking capabilities in these chipsets, so unpopular X3s are on the radar https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Ms49 … aB8b54/htmlview ... also got Phenom X3 8450s that choke trying to clock on PM6100 boards, maybe try those out.

So I used a am3+ AsRock matx 760 chipset HD4250 graphics/ Phenom ii x2 setup as a give away media PC in my dad's living room. He tried a HD4650 1gb DDR2 card in cross fire and "Kinda" got it to work. It never really worked under Windows 7 and ended up just disabling the onboard.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1697 of 2070, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote on 2022-09-22, 14:42:

My Steam Deck/GabeBoy arrived earlier this week. Got the middle one with the nvme SSD and reflective screen. A very good way to go through the hundreds of games in my backlog.
image1.jpg

Doing a good job of being what my PSP was before - portable entertainment for the Sofa/Bed. Steam games for now, will be installing GoG stuff and emulators later on.

How have you liked it so far? I'm desperately trying to fight off the urge to get one too.

Reply 1698 of 2070, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2022-09-25, 04:45:

So I used a am3+ AsRock matx 760 chipset HD4250 graphics/ Phenom ii x2 setup as a give away media PC in my dad's living room. He tried a HD4650 1gb DDR2 card in cross fire and "Kinda" got it to work. It never really worked under Windows 7 and ended up just disabling the onboard.

Right, I was seeing a lot of Vista only comments. Been having a think if I wanna do a Vista system with that board, because I don't really have one, but there were a few idiosyncratic techs that only work with Vista which may be fun to explore. However, got a number of GPU that would do better on their own than what will halfass crossfire with that. So I think I will be ignoring that and using the board in Win7 or later. I might do a Vista rig with older X2 or C2D.

Everybody cross your fingers for me, some AM3 CPU possibilities popped up last night, making a play later. Checked out that AII X4 it's Propus core, nothing to unlock, if all goes well later, might end up with it going where it was bought for, one of the AM2+ boards I had previously.

Reply 1699 of 2070, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, one hope looks burned, get a pic of the FX-8120 and it's an FX-4xxx