Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P

This particular board is a pre production revision (see rev 0.1 in the top left corner), probably meant for (p)reviews. This one looks slightly different from regular UD4P - old heatsink design which was used on some 1366 and AM2 boards. And next to IDE apparently there was supposed to be located some weird I/O connector, maybe sata express. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=3160#ov

Well, the hard part is this board has very old bios and supposedly it is not possible to update it. So I must get i5 750 which is the oldest 1156 CPU and hope for the best (I'm not even sure the board works).
pict1959oss03.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 101 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not actually familiar with these sorts of boards, the early i5's... are they crossfire-only, or were they dual crossfire/sli like x58 was?

Reply 102 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one should support SLI as well. Of course only 8+8 pci-e lanes, as the controller is integrated to the CPU and there are 16 lanes in total. Just like all 115x CPUs.

Reply 103 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First gen i5/i7 were the last of the fsb style overclocking for Intel and are a real blast to play with, just keep in mind that you want to turn off the turbo the closer you get to 4ghz and power consumption doubles between 3.5 and 3.8ghz depending on the sample to around 180w give or take. With good ram and if the board is good enough you can go higher but not to Sandy Bridge levels clock wise. Performance overall with a mild overclock is pretty much equal to current gen hardware minus a few features and higher power consumption.

For boards that didn't get sli support but have crossfire support there is a registry hack floating around on the net that fools the Nvidia drivers into thinking that it is on a X58 board and it even works with AMD chipsets. 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 104 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

First gen i5/i7 were the last of the fsb style overclocking for Intel and are a real blast to play with, just keep in mind that you want to turn off the turbo the closer you get to 4ghz and power consumption doubles between 3.5 and 3.8ghz depending on the sample to around 180w give or take. With good ram and if the board is good enough you can go higher but not to Sandy Bridge levels clock wise. Performance overall with a mild overclock is pretty much equal to current gen hardware minus a few features and higher power consumption.

For boards that didn't get sli support but have crossfire support there is a registry hack floating around on the net that fools the Nvidia drivers into thinking that it is on a X58 board and it even works with AMD chipsets. 😉

Just so you know, it's been discovered that the intel skylake chips have the PCIE bus and FSB unganged / detached, and (almost) all motherboard vendors at some point (near december 2014 / Jan 2015) had bios's released on their websites that allowed FSB overclocking again (just like the old chips), but were forced by intel to remove it from their websites in feb and march.

There's a community site that managed to capture a lot of the FSB-OC'able bioses and have shared em with the community.

Go check out hwbot.org for the world records, there's a i3-6100 (locked multiplier) record for 6.2 ghz on liquid nitrogen. I think All of the skylake cpu's can be overclocked, but I don't seem to find any records for the celerons.

Anyway see here: http://hwbot.org/submission/3093297_namegt_cp … 100_6287.11_mhz

FSB Overclocking is back. 😀

Reply 105 of 2072, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hqdefault.jpg

I picked up a Razer Chroma keyboard/mouse set. I was feeling the need for some more flash on my desktop, and this fits the bill nicely. I apologize in advance for my badly robotic voice-over skills in this video. Right now I have it running with an amber color scheme as that feels comfortably retro.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 106 of 2072, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm upgrading my sister's PC this week (She's getting a 6600k / MSI z170 KRAIT gaming / 8GB DDR4 Corsair 3000MHz CL 15 / Sapphire Tri-X Radeon R9 390X 8GB) and I got the leftovers:

- Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1
- Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
- Core i7 3770k
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 2133Mhz LP Blue
- 120GB SATA 3 Kingston SSD

Here's my attempt to run the G1 is SLi with the OC windforce I got two weeks ago:

izmrrUfh.jpg

ZIzhnBrh.jpg

Can't wait to set up her new machine 😀

I'm thinking of selling the Z68 board and getting an ATX MSI Z77A-GD65 + a Cooler Master HAF XB to build a SLi rig to game on.

Reply 107 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
I'm upgrading my sister's PC this week (She's getting a 6600k / MSI z170 KRAIT gaming / 8GB DDR4 Corsair 3000MHz CL 15 / Sapphir […]
Show full quote

I'm upgrading my sister's PC this week (She's getting a 6600k / MSI z170 KRAIT gaming / 8GB DDR4 Corsair 3000MHz CL 15 / Sapphire Tri-X Radeon R9 390X 8GB) and I got the leftovers:

- Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1
- Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
- Core i7 3770k
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 2133Mhz LP Blue
- 120GB SATA 3 Kingston SSD

Here's my attempt to run the G1 is SLi with the OC windforce I got two weeks ago:

<snip>

Can't wait to set up her new machine 😀

I'm thinking of selling the Z68 board and getting an ATX MSI Z77A-GD65 + a Cooler Master HAF XB to build a SLi rig to game on.

Pro tip for you... you might could look for a good P67 chipset SLI motherboard. Performance-wise they're only +/- 1% - 3% from Z77, and (most of them, check for compatibility) take all of the ivy bridge chips right up to the 3770k, and they'll all do pci-express 3.0 (with a proper cpu), and have USB 3.0 / Sata 6 Gbps onboard and probably a good deal cheaper.

I have a P67 Sabertooth and love it so far.

Reply 108 of 2072, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it allow multiplier OC on K series CPUs? The thing is I allready located a cheap Z77A-GD65 - boxed, 4 months of warranty remaining for about 50 euro... that's a pretty good deal in my book considering I can probably sell the Z68 board for 40-50 euro.

Reply 109 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Does it allow multiplier OC on K series CPUs? The thing is I allready located a cheap Z77A-GD65 - boxed, 4 months of warranty remaining for about 50 euro... that's a pretty good deal in my book considering I can probably sell the Z68 board for 40-50 euro.

Ah well if you got a good deal already probably go for it. And anything that supports the K series chips (usually) can overclock em, most of the time.

I'm on the Asus P67 Sabertooth for my "main" system now.. and it definitely supports multiplier OC a lot. I have a 3770k @ 4819 Mhz currently and it does full PCIE 3.0 16x / 8x-8x and usb 3.0 and Sata 6 Gbps and everything.

Reply 111 of 2072, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Ah well if you got a good deal already probably go for it. And anything that supports the K series chips (usually) can overclock em, most of the time.

I'm on the Asus P67 Sabertooth for my "main" system now.. and it definitely supports multiplier OC a lot. I have a 3770k @ 4819 Mhz currently and it does full PCIE 3.0 16x / 8x-8x and usb 3.0 and Sata 6 Gbps and everything.

It works better with some brands than with others. 😀

Gigabytes P67(B3) and Z68 boards wont overclock Ivy Bridge unless you upgrade from BIOS to UEFI but the UEFI for Gigabytes P67 and Z68 boards breaks the voltage control completely.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 112 of 2072, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Every time I see those Windforce cards, they look like they say "WINOFORCE", which I think is pretty funny.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 113 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Xeon E5-2670 - 8 cores + HT @ 3GHz. There are ton of these on ebay... couldn't resist. 🤣
xeon_e5-2670_fordxm.jpg

Even old Zalman is good enough to keep 8 core SB-E cool. The CPU need only about 110W.
xeonbofxh.jpg

20 MB of L3 cache, yay 😈
2670_cpuz16e8e.png

Reply 114 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! I had no idea a decent newer xeon would be that cheap... I might actually consider that for my new file server/nas thing next year.. thanks for sharing this.

EDIT: Nevermind it's LGA-2011 I missed that. It's a shame all the decent 2011 boards are expensive. 😒

Reply 115 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess they are expensive because of this massive Xeon sale. Thousands of 2670's were sold and MB prices are going crazy.

Reply 116 of 2072, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:
Xeon E5-2670 - 8 cores + HT @ 3GHz. There are ton of these on ebay... couldn't resist. :lol: http://abload.de/img/xeon_e5-267 […]
Show full quote

Xeon E5-2670 - 8 cores + HT @ 3GHz. There are ton of these on ebay... couldn't resist. 🤣
xeon_e5-2670_fordxm.jpg

Feel free to add 7-zip benchmark results. I think many of would like to see. 😉
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fBPxW … dit?usp=sharing

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 117 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bit the bullet and bought a ASRock X99X KILLER for $205 shipped, can't wait to return that pos asus board that I had ended up with. Scored a matched pair of Xeon E5 2628Ls for $111 shipped 😎

ark.intel.com/products/81704/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2628L-v3-25M-Cache-2_00-GHz

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 118 of 2072, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Bit the bullet and bought a ASRock X99X KILLER for $205 shipped, can't wait to return that pos asus board that I had ended up with. Scored a matched pair of Xeon E5 2628Ls for $111 shipped 😎

ark.intel.com/products/81704/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2628L-v3-25M-Cache-2_00-GHz

I have the revised ASRock X99X KILLER /3.1 in my main PC, it's a great board!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 119 of 2072, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Imagine how after some decade of years stuff in this thread going to consider as retro :lol: […]
Show full quote

Imagine how after some decade of years stuff in this thread going to consider as retro 🤣

Anyway this week i finally upgraded my main rig from 4*2gb for 2*8gb of this babes:
4EA.jpg

How funny, I happen to be running 16GB of Kingston HyperX memory in my main rig myself. I'm still not too sure what to think of it, as my rig hasn't been the best overclocker.