User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
*update* […]
Show full quote

*update*

no to be defeated, I asked supermicro. Their response was "The board only officially supports chips up to 95W" I had a look at the power regulators, the X8DAL has 4 phases per cpu, the X8DAH has 5 with beefier parts. In a strange twist, I found myself installing the cpu's I had into the board, and it worked.

So the new 5687's are working fine in my 8XDAH, and now my old 5687's are working in the X8DAL. It's strange.

That said, during stress testing, the voltage regulators (infineon 050n03ls) are getting HOT. Uncomfortably so. I saw about 105C. The data sheet claims a max temp of 150C (302 Freedom), but 105c (221 Freedom) on the outer case is unacceptable from my point of view. Maybe installing the board in a case with proper cooling would be sufficient, but I want to get some heatsinks for these mosfets at the very least. I'm looking at a pack or two of these overprices shits: http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm and a tube of thermal adhesive.

According to cpu-world.com there's only one production s-spec code for the x5687, the other is an Engineering Sample, perhaps you have ES chips and you didn't realize it? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Glad you got it working though and.. I sort of encouraged you to keep trying. I knew they worked in that board, just didn't remember how I got it going. 😀

Reply 761 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
In any case I wanted a new motherboard but as the G1 Sniper 2 (except for the issue mentioned above) is a really kickass motherb […]
Show full quote

In any case I wanted a new motherboard but as the G1 Sniper 2 (except for the issue mentioned above) is a really kickass motherboard there are not many socket 1155 boards that can be considered upgrades.

The list of boards were pretty much

Asus Maximus V Formula (Z77)
Asus Maximus V Extreme (Z77)

The end.

Look up the GA-Z77X-UP7 from gigabyte, I own one. 32-phase power for CPU and 3-phase power dedicated to memory + PLX-Bridged to support 4-Way-SLI. All for Z77. It's one of if not the most exotic Z77 boards out there. Good luck ever finding one though, I've only seen one for sale on ebay in the years since they came out new and I grabbed it.

Reply 762 of 2072, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

id return that. I also never buy from sellers who cant be bothered to take a picture.

Well if the seller dosn't respond to my messages I will start a "item not as described case" on Monday evening (in case he is away during the weekend).

When it comes to sellers not bothered with taking pictures I agree... mostly. The issue is that the best sources of used hardwre in the EU are German Ebay shops (actual companies) and they use stock photos more often than not. In this case the seller is just some dude though but he has a perfect feedback score with 107 positive feedbacks over the last year so I diddn't really expect he would try to scam someone. Now when I look closer I see that most feedbacks are for him as a buyer and the few feedbacks he has as a seller are from selling memory modules.

kithylin wrote:

Look up the GA-Z77X-UP7 from gigabyte, I own one. 32-phase power for CPU and 3-phase power dedicated to memory + PLX-Bridged to support 4-Way-SLI. All for Z77. It's one of if not the most exotic Z77 boards out there. Good luck ever finding one though, I've only seen one for sale on ebay in the years since they came out new and I grabbed it.

It's I nice motherboard but as you say it's not a motherboard you can actually find on Ebay or elsewhere today.

The reason I went with the Maximus V Formula over the Maximus V Extreme is just that the Formula dosn't have the PLX-Bridge, well that and the better audio. Unless one is planning to build a SLI/Crossfire setup the PLX-Bridge only adds latency* without adding any benefit (depending on how it's implemented*).

*The odd thing is though now when I have the Maximum V Formula in question side by side with my Maximus IV Extreme (P67 with PLX-bridge) the latter is outperforming the former. Both motherboards tested with identical hardware and BIOS settings (3770K@4.8 + 2x8GB Samsung DDR3-2133 10,11,11,30 1T) and using the exact same Geforce GTX 960.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 763 of 2072, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel Core i7-8086K 4.00Ghz (SRCX5) Coffee Lake Anniversary - Limited Edition (Socket 1151) (2018)

ddkXKL.jpg
I2KOkj.jpg
uPtTiV.jpg
JLCqP0.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 Ghz 8C-16T AM4 (NOS) (2018)

Cs8nXV.jpg
Uzyahj.jpg
zfidxx.jpg
loVmpx.jpg
nUMPJ4.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 765 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nhDlUIA.jpg?1
Photo is from the seller.

AsRock Extreme4 P67 board. My Asus Mini-ITX system's motherboard is dying and won't turn on anymore at all unless I turn off power, pick it up a few inches and physically drop the chassis on the desk. Got old doing that every morning for 5 mornings so bought it, Also going back to full ATX boards. I needed something that takes Ivy Bridge chips, PCIE 3.0 and USB 3.0 for $100 or less and I happened onto this. PLX-Bridged P67 overclockable board. Was only $98 shipped so worked out perfectly. 😀

Reply 766 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*THX music playing* The board is listening.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 767 of 2072, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this modern, or is it retro? Anyway, gotta buy them, while prices are low. As we saw may times in past, they can start raise any moment...

E5800, E7600, E8500

C2D.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 768 of 2072, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote:
Is this modern, or is it retro? Anyway, gotta buy them, while prices are low. As we saw may times in past, they can start raise […]
Show full quote

Is this modern, or is it retro? Anyway, gotta buy them, while prices are low. As we saw may times in past, they can start raise any moment...

E5800, E7600, E8500

C2D.jpg

Heh funny to see this as I just bought an E8600, $23 CAD. It's the fastest C2D so it's to be expected that there will be a small premium.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 769 of 2072, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

l0DY1Q4m.jpg

A cheap HP Compaq dc5800 found in a thrift store. It was complete.

Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz dual core processor
4GB RAM
ATI RADEON HD3450 256mb PCIe video card (don't have an adapter for it)
128GB Samsung SSD (spare I have)
160GB 7200RPM hard drive (came with it)
DVD/RW drive
Windows XP

should be a nice rig for XP era games and whatnot.

3WabVJOm.jpg

the rear, complete with a parallel port!

pjQn12Jm.jpg

guts, duct taped SSD

XesI3wDm.jpg

GPU

b4houhxm.jpg

BIOS screen

On4AvW5m.jpg

specs... got a Q9400 for it and an HD6450 for cheap so it should be beefier in a few days!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 770 of 2072, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
A cheap HP Compaq dc5800 found in a thrift store. It was complete. […]
Show full quote

A cheap HP Compaq dc5800 found in a thrift store. It was complete.

Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz dual core processor
4GB RAM
ATI RADEON HD3450 256mb PCIe video card (don't have an adapter for it)
128GB Samsung SSD (spare I have)
160GB 7200RPM hard drive (came with it)
DVD/RW drive
Windows XP

should be a nice rig for XP era games and whatnot.

... got a Q9400 for it and an HD6450 for cheap so it should be beefier in a few days!

Nice find there, I'm looking forward to seeing how well it goes for XP-era gaming. I have an HP DC7800 SFF desktop that I'm thinking about turning into a later Windows XP rig for games that are too much for my Athlon 64 rig to handle.

Reply 771 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went to my favorite computer store and purchased the following:

1) Inland 480GB SSD
2) Circuit Board holder for easy soldering
3) 2.5A Micro USB power adapter for my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 772 of 2072, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know there hasn't been any activity on this thread for about a month, but since this is one of those aspects that never end in this hobby, I don't see why bumping this thread is a bad idea.

Anyway, I bought a 1GB nVidia Geforce GT 635 OEM PCI-e video card for my HP DC7800 SFF desktop (upper-tier XP gaming desktop project):

R5H2D-lg.jpg
Filename
R5H2D-lg.jpg
File size
33.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I bought this video card because someone else who had a similar project in mind used this video card in their HP DC7900 (which is the direct successor to my DC7800) and had good results from it as shown in the benchmarks in the thread that I've linked to. Sure, it's no 750Ti, but it should be all right by my standards since I don't really go past 1280x1024 for this era of gaming (the only 1080p capable displays in my house are our TV sets (and my dad's computer monitor, but that doesn't count since it's not mine.)). I was also considering the Geforce GT 730, but due to that being a somewhat current video card, they're still a little pricey so I'll wait until they become affordable. For now, I'll see how this GT 635 performs with my XP games.

Reply 773 of 2072, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally upgraded my main gaming PC. For the past couple of years, it's been a Core2Quad 750Ti system on Windows XP. Saved up and got an off-lease business machine for $317: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower. Has an i5-4590, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and Win10Pro. I put my 750Ti in and it's fast enough to play Doom 2016 on medium settings. Since I'm not much of a modern gamer (and then, mostly RPGs), this is more than enough power to hold me over for the next few years, so I'm tickled to have gotten it for less than $320! The main downside is the proprietary 320W PSU which makes graphics card upgrades a bit of a challenge. It doesn't even have a 6-pin power connector so I used a SATA-to-6pin adapter. I've seen reports of people online using 1060s in this system, so perhaps 320W isn't as much of a bottleneck as it seems? At any rate, I'm happy to join the Win10 crowd, as many of the games I owned would not run on XP! I'm back in the modern ages.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 774 of 2072, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those machines without SSD go for around $120-200 or so

also I ordered an MSI P7N LGA775 motherboard that was listed for parts but it came with heatsink, processor, and 4GB RAM for less than $30 shipped. It doesn't post 🙁

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 775 of 2072, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Those machines without SSD go for around $120-200 or so

Yeah, but they don't typically include an OS or warranty. I got Win10Pro license and 1 yr warranty.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 776 of 2072, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My bundle with the retro stuff also included an Asus P8H61MX USB3, had a few wonky pins but I got them lined up.
Tested with a cheap G630, and now have an i7-3770 on the way … My old AMD X4 will be relegated to secondary and may have to donate its case too, though I might go for a new case with a little sparkle.

The old system will also be handing over the 2x 4GB set and getting back the 2x 2. Also handing on the SSD, maybe the 1TB HDD too (and getting a 400/500), also passing on my favourite DVD drives.

Not sure if I dare try to carry the Windows installation over, AMD to Intel would probably not work, otherwise I may have to but PCtrans and hope it can bring over a lot of giveaways that are out of their install period - either that or I'll just have to hope they return... Halloween is usually good for some of them.

Reply 777 of 2072, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I grew weary of the lag in Kingdom Come - the first game to give my GTX960 a real run for its money - so I impulse buyed a GTX1060 to fix the problem. For the past ~8 years that has worked - low frames? BAM new graphics card. But time has finally caught up with my i5 760 it seems, because the game still lags and perfmon tells me that the CPU is to blame, dang it. I won't be rushing out to gut the whole system for 1 game though.

So that dampened the excitement of it all, as did the blandness of the EVGA GTX1060 experience. Look at this thing! Grim, flimsy box and documentation. Puny, featureless card that looks like a toy compared to the mighty, outgoing 960. It performs well enough I suppose, but where was the childlike excitement and wonder I used to feel? Maybe I'm just getting old 🤣

P1030895_zps55vlxbrz.jpg

P1030899_zpsk6c791kg.jpg

P1030904_zpsrqejesrn.jpg

P1030908_zpsw0mcg5dl.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 778 of 2072, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the 3Gb version of the 1060 is actually slower than the 6gb version (not just because of the memory difference), so I would spend the extra money to get a real upgrade from the 960..

Also, you could buy a used Xeon X3440 from ebay (In Germany they cost about 25€ shipped) as a replacement for the i5 and overclock the hell out of it (if your board/chipset supports overclocking). It's a 4 core/8 thread cpu that overclocks really well.

Reply 779 of 2072, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did it.

nvidia-geforce-rtx-2.0.0.jpg
Filename
nvidia-geforce-rtx-2.0.0.jpg
File size
93.89 KiB
Views
File comment
Oooh Baby!
File license
2080ti.jpg
Filename
2080ti.jpg
File size
90.7 KiB
Views
File comment
I really can't help myself. Well at least I don't womanize or do drugs, that's what my girlfriend says.
File license