Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1181 of 2069, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally ordered a DreamBlaster X2 . I really think that the fact that Serdashop exists is a gift to all of us retro amateurs . They have so many great products that nicely complement retro gear . Kudos to them and all the other great businesses that offer retro oriented products . May they be prosperous .

Reply 1182 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a plastic projects case and a meanwell 5v 10a PSU for my OrangePI-Server project. I need that 10a in order to be able to drive the computer, a fan and a harddrive.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1183 of 2069, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really bought but picked up this circa 2015 iMac from my Auntie-in-law. They got a new one. So yeah, my first modern Macintosh. Prior to this I'd always had ones as old as my 486es or older. I'm finding this thing really handy for making music with Garage Band and BandLab so far. I'm also using it to learn a bit more about Macs in general because some friends, family, and people at work use Apple products, probably time I, as an I.T. Professional, get more acquainted with their ways.

SPECS
21.5" Late 2015 Model
1.6 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5
8GB of DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1.5GB VRAM

Running Mac OS Catalina (I installed that on it last night)

Attachments

• imac.jpg
    Filename
    imac.jpg
    File size
    95.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    2015 iMac
    File license
    Public domain

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 1184 of 2069, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a quite good one, although the RAM is not upgradeable in this model and its a 1.6GHz dual core. Probably it will need a SSD upgrade to feel a bit more snappier.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1185 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-27, 21:07:

Vampire V4 is not a real hardware Amiga.

darry wrote on 2020-07-28, 02:28:

It's definitely hardware, Amiga compatible and likely uses a licensed Amiga ROM. Whether that makes it a "real hardware Amiga" or not is a matter of perspective, IMHO .
It's definitely not a vintage Commodore Amiga product, no arguments on that .

appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 06:46:

No need to go down that rabbit hole, there are two camps of thought about this and I doubt we'd see eye to eye.

Shagittarius wrote on 2020-07-28, 21:19:

It's not a real amiga in that it's not made by commodore, but it natively runs Amiga OS as old as 1.2 I think though I don't think you'd want to go beyond 3.0 for convienience sake. It's core is also completely compatible with every 68xxx insturction. It has obviously newer better hardware than any commodore manufactured amiga does but it would be considerably less exciting if it was just desined to be a 25 year old amiga replacement.

I don't care if it's a real amiga or not, i think its great hardware to tinker with and i'm excited to see what the amiga community does with it.

I also own an A1200 with 030 & 060 accelerators, and an Amiga 2500.

I have to comment on this. If a real Amiga is defined by whoever made it. Then every single Commodore Amiga is not a real Amiga. It was invented by Amiga (or Hi-Toro) and thus they are the makers of real Amiga's. However. They did not manage to build a consumer grade machine. Commodore made it. And because of that fact, then a real Amiga is any hardware that can run AmigaOS natively. Then people argue that it need to have OCS, ECS or AGA chipset. However, what about the Ranger prototype or the NYX board? Yes shure they were never in production, yet they are both Commodore product, and especially the NYX are in no way backwards compatible. Never the less, the NYX are a real Amiga machine in it's prototype state.

The Vampire is indeed a real Amiga. It is an FPGA version of the Classic hardware, and is able to run most software that are compatible with the classic chipsets. The difference is, that it is not made by Commodore, and the entire chipset are shrunk onto one single chip. It is no more different, than if Commodore had made one of their machines as a system on a chip solution.

Amiga is a platform. Just as PC's are a platform. And arguing that the Vampire is no Amiga would be the same as saying that an HP Vectra 486 is not a PC, because it was not made by IBM.

Reply 1186 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-07-26, 23:51:

I really have to get myself a real hardware Amiga someday. I feel like I'm missing out .

May I suggest an Amiga500 with scandoubler, 512k upgrade and Gotek drive. This is a setup, that can run about 75 to 80% of all Amiga games. And if you only want the classic titles from the era of the Amiga were it was the hottest platform, then you actually only need a setup like this. Plus it is the cheapest solution that you can get.

Sure the scandoubler is not cheap. A solution like the IndivisionECSv2 are extremely easy to source. Else you can get one of them OSSC instead, if you do not mind having something external instead. With the Gotek, you do not need any harddrive, and it is only if you really want a harddrive, that you need to get one of them IDE adaptors that can be found on Amibay.

And if you need to go for WHD loader, then get an A500 that have 2mb Chipram. Install an combined IDE and 8mb FastRam adaptor, get a 1.3/3.1 kickstart switcher and an 68010 CPU.

Reply 1187 of 2069, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this PCI-Slot Rack for 2.5" HDD/SSD ( Delock 47192 )

IMG_9072.JPG
Filename
IMG_9072.JPG
File size
731.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_9073.JPG
Filename
IMG_9073.JPG
File size
361.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This should be really usefull to me as I have some spare SSD laying around 😀 1 SSD with W98, another with Win3.11, etc...

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 1188 of 2069, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote on 2020-09-01, 16:01:
May I suggest an Amiga500 with scandoubler, 512k upgrade and Gotek drive. This is a setup, that can run about 75 to 80% of all A […]
Show full quote

I really have to get myself a real hardware Amiga someday. I feel like I'm missing out .

May I suggest an Amiga500 with scandoubler, 512k upgrade and Gotek drive. This is a setup, that can run about 75 to 80% of all Amiga games. And if you only want the classic titles from the era of the Amiga were it was the hottest platform, then you actually only need a setup like this. Plus it is the cheapest solution that you can get.

Sure the scandoubler is not cheap. A solution like the IndivisionECSv2 are extremely easy to source. Else you can get one of them OSSC instead, if you do not mind having something external instead. With the Gotek, you do not need any harddrive, and it is only if you really want a harddrive, that you need to get one of them IDE adaptors that can be found on Amibay.

And if you need to go for WHD loader, then get an A500 that have 2mb Chipram. Install an combined IDE and 8mb FastRam adaptor, get a 1.3/3.1 kickstart switcher and an 68010 CPU.

Thank you for the recommendations . I will give it some more thought .

A question : PAL or NTSC (I already have an OSSC, so it's more of a software compatibility question)?

Reply 1189 of 2069, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2020-09-01, 15:43:

I have to comment on this. If a real Amiga is defined by whoever made it. Then every single Commodore Amiga is not a real Amiga. It was invented by Amiga (or Hi-Toro) and thus they are the makers of real Amiga's. However. They did not manage to build a consumer grade machine. Commodore made it. And because of that fact, then a real Amiga is any hardware that can run AmigaOS natively. Then people argue that it need to have OCS, ECS or AGA chipset. However, what about the Ranger prototype or the NYX board? Yes shure they were never in production, yet they are both Commodore product, and especially the NYX are in no way backwards compatible. Never the less, the NYX are a real Amiga machine in it's prototype state.

The Vampire is indeed a real Amiga. It is an FPGA version of the Classic hardware, and is able to run most software that are compatible with the classic chipsets. The difference is, that it is not made by Commodore, and the entire chipset are shrunk onto one single chip. It is no more different, than if Commodore had made one of their machines as a system on a chip solution.

Amiga is a platform. Just as PC's are a platform. And arguing that the Vampire is no Amiga would be the same as saying that an HP Vectra 486 is not a PC, because it was not made by IBM.

I like my Amiga being vanilla with a history of previous ownership (kid's stickers and stuff). "Original hardware" is also user experience, not just specs.
1. Original ZX Spectrum 48 should be too small for comfort and have a nasty keyboard. ZX Spectrum Next is a travesty.
2. Original Amiga is inbuilt into a keyboard and has a stupidly large power brick. Floppy-juggling is also a must! Gotec should be an option, but not floppy replacement!
3. PlayStation2 go brrrrr

Pursuant the above logic I HEREBY STATE: While your HP Vectra 486 is a PC, it is not real IBM PS/2 Model 80-486.
P.S. I love flame, so I say the magic words: prove me wrong! 😜

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 1191 of 2069, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 486/33 socketed upgrade boards for the IBM PS/2 model 80's (I have a few).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 1193 of 2069, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
I have to comment on this. If a real Amiga is defined by whoever made it. Then every single Commodore Amiga is not a real Amiga. […]
Show full quote

It's definitely hardware, Amiga compatible and likely uses a licensed Amiga ROM. Whether that makes it a "real hardware Amiga" or not is a matter of perspective, IMHO .

No need to go down that rabbit hole, there are two camps of thought about this and I doubt we'd see eye to eye.

It's not a real amiga in that it's not made by commodore, but it natively runs Amiga OS as old as 1.2 I think though I don't think you'd want to go beyond 3.0 for convienience sake. It's core is also completely compatible with every 68xxx insturction. It has obviously newer better hardware than any commodore manufactured amiga does but it would be considerably less exciting if it was just desined to be a 25 year old amiga replacement.

I don't care if it's a real amiga or not, i think its great hardware to tinker with and i'm excited to see what the amiga community does with it.

Curious (just so that I understand your personal thinking and definitions - not arguing against them);

Do you count MiSTer as real Amiga (or real IBM 486)?

Do you count Spectrum Next (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spectrum … um-next-issue-2) as a real Spectrum?

Reply 1194 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-09-02, 10:21:
brostenen wrote on 2020-09-01, 16:01:
May I suggest an Amiga500 with scandoubler, 512k upgrade and Gotek drive. This is a setup, that can run about 75 to 80% of all A […]
Show full quote

Thank you for the recommendations . I will give it some more thought .

A question : PAL or NTSC (I already have an OSSC, so it's more of a software compatibility question)?

PAL version. That is, if gaming is what you will be using it for.

Reply 1195 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Volo wrote on 2020-09-02, 15:29:
I like my Amiga being vanilla with a history of previous ownership (kid's stickers and stuff). "Original hardware" is also user […]
Show full quote

I like my Amiga being vanilla with a history of previous ownership (kid's stickers and stuff). "Original hardware" is also user experience, not just specs.
1. Original ZX Spectrum 48 should be too small for comfort and have a nasty keyboard. ZX Spectrum Next is a travesty.
2. Original Amiga is inbuilt into a keyboard and has a stupidly large power brick. Floppy-juggling is also a must! Gotec should be an option, but not floppy replacement!

Pursuant the above logic I HEREBY STATE: While your HP Vectra 486 is a PC, it is not real IBM PS/2 Model 80-486.

Again. It depends on what you want out of the Amiga platform. At the end of the day, it is just a platform.

Reply 1196 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
martinot wrote on 2020-09-02, 19:10:
Curious (just so that I understand your personal thinking and definitions - not arguing against them); […]
Show full quote
I have to comment on this. If a real Amiga is defined by whoever made it. Then every single Commodore Amiga is not a real Amiga. […]
Show full quote

Curious (just so that I understand your personal thinking and definitions - not arguing against them);

Do you count MiSTer as real Amiga (or real IBM 486)?

Do you count Spectrum Next (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spectrum … um-next-issue-2) as a real Spectrum?

If the Mist is an FPGA machine, on were you install cores that can make it into a hardware version of a specific hardware configuration.
Well, then it is an Amiga when it is running an Amiga core, and another machine when it is running another core.
If we move into software emulation territory. RaspberryPI as an example. Then we can begin to argue if it is an Amiga, C64, Playstation or whatever.
As an example, then "The C64" is not an Commodore64 at all. It is an ARM C64-emulation machine.
And for some strange reason, then people see TheC64 more as a real Commodore64, than they see the VampireV4 as a real Amiga.

That brings me to the Spectrum Next. Yes it is a real Spectrum as it uses FPGA technology to implement the old machines in a new package.
Again. TheC64 is not a real Commodore64, and the Spectrum Next is a real spectrum. Just as the VampireV4 is a real Amiga.

FPGA technology is a strange thing. And I believe that most people have a wrong understanding on what it really is.
It can also be explained in a different way. FPGA computers can be seen as a kind of clone computers. Apple clone, Amiga clone, Spectrum clone
or whatever else there are out there.

Reply 1197 of 2069, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-09-02, 16:26:
https://i.imgur.com/jDBr2RIh.jpg […]
Show full quote

...it is not real IBM PS/2 Model 80-486.

jDBr2RIh.jpg

The IBM model 80 is a 386 machine.

I'm pleased with flame. Thank you!

brostenen wrote on 2020-09-02, 19:45:
I like my Amiga being vanilla with a history of previous ownership (kid's stickers and stuff). "Original hardware" is also user […]
Show full quote

Again. It depends on what you want out of the Amiga platform. At the end of the day, it is just a platform.

I am a look-and-feel guy. Congratulate me, today I've bought my first Model M keyboard! I have to replace the wire, but at least it's clicky!

Emulation or FPGA is fine... but it robs you of the sense of conquest and ownership. With real machine you HAVE to do TLC. You HAVE to learn basic operation. Investing a part of your soul into machine sort of makes it your own.

Had no chance to get my hands on any FPGA machines. I doubt it feels any different from quality emulation (it still has to handle USB abstraction, frame-buffers, HDMI lag, etc). I might invest into MiSTer one day but usually, once I have free funds - I am happier invest the budget into something more palpable (like Model M today, yey!).

What I can't understand are single-use FPGA abominations: Spectrum Next, Vampire 4 or Ultimate 64! They aim to recreate the experience of using old hardware for ADHD generation and fail miserably!
It is a Vaporwave Bearbrick for tech-savvy 😠

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 1198 of 2069, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Volo wrote on 2020-09-02, 22:16:
I'm pleased with flame. Thank you! […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote on 2020-09-02, 16:26:
https://i.imgur.com/jDBr2RIh.jpg […]
Show full quote

...it is not real IBM PS/2 Model 80-486.

jDBr2RIh.jpg

The IBM model 80 is a 386 machine.

I'm pleased with flame. Thank you!

brostenen wrote on 2020-09-02, 19:45:
Show full quote

I am a look-and-feel guy. Congratulate me, today I've bought my first Model M keyboard! I have to replace the wire, but at least it's clicky!

Emulation or FPGA is fine... but it robs you of the sense of conquest and ownership. With real machine you HAVE to do TLC. You HAVE to learn basic operation. Investing a part of your soul into machine sort of makes it your own.

Had no chance to get my hands on any FPGA machines. I doubt it feels any different from quality emulation (it still has to handle USB abstraction, frame-buffers, HDMI lag, etc). I might invest into MiSTer one day but usually, once I have free funds - I am happier invest the budget into something more palpable (like Model M today, yey!).

What I can't understand are single-use FPGA abominations: Spectrum Next, Vampire 4 or Ultimate 64! They aim to recreate the experience of using old hardware for ADHD generation and fail miserably!
It is a Vaporwave Bearbrick for tech-savvy 😠

Congrats on the model M !

I don't feel as strongly about single-use FPGA machines . If they are designed in such a way that I/O capabilities, peripheral compatibility and software compatibility are as close as possible to the original, they are not necessarily a bad thing, especially if chips that were used in the original are no longer in production and starting to be rare . Original hardware or 1:1 replicas are nicer still, but as time goes by these will become more difficult to source or produce, respectively .

Reply 1199 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are always an option for the Vampire V4 to look like an old Commodore machine. Take an empty Amiga case, with an original keyboard. Attach a USB keyboard converter and install the V4 inside the case. Extend the ports with cables, and then you have something that have the feel of a Commodore Amiga. If the argument are still that it does not have Floppy drive, then that is a vague argument. People are using WHD loader and Gotek drives anyway these days.

Sure some of us are purists, and we still use floppy disks. However they will all soon be a thing of history, as disks eventually die and none are being produced anymore. Those that are to be found these days, are so expensive that you can't just go out and buy 600, 800 or 1000 disks unless you have lots of money.