VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 38, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recommend Prey(2006)

This game made a strong impact on me. I always preferred the "alien attack scheme" in gaming( like in Duke Nukem 3D or Half Life...) than the monster/demon/zombie one. Maybe that was the reason why it struck me so much when I played it last year for the first time 😀

I liked the whole story, the "emotional involvement" with your relatives from the game, and the spirit walk of course. I only missed a couple of more guns in the game and maybe some more enemies.

I wish there was a continuation....

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 22 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:
I recommend Prey(2006) […]
Show full quote

I recommend Prey(2006)

This game made a strong impact on me. I always preferred the "alien attack scheme" in gaming( like in Duke Nukem 3D or Half Life...) than the monster/demon/zombie one. Maybe that was the reason why it struck me so much when I played it last year for the first time 😀

I liked the whole story, the "emotional involvement" with your relatives from the game, and the spirit walk of course. I only missed a couple of more guns in the game and maybe some more enemies.

I wish there was a continuation....

Yeah, RIP Prey 2.

Reply 23 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. 😀 No One Lives Forever and Contract Jack sounds like fun! You see, I'm in rather exhausting times, so I don't have the energy to play complex games like System Shock or European Air War. Even fun flight sims like Fighters Anthology (yes, I have Fighters Anthology still installed on my hard drive) is exhausting. All I want is a mindless, easy-to-get-into fun, with interesting (and rather campy) storyline. Yes, Quake II is a mindless fun, but the game's total lack of personality is boring. Redneck Rampage has a lot of personality, but the game is too difficult. Doom 3 has very attractive tension building, but once the game is started, it sucks. F.E.A.R has great atmosphere, but the game is too slow-paced. So far, RTWC has the right balance between easiness (to get into) and interesting story premise, hence this thread. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 38, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Contract J.A.C.K. is a fun game that I would like to recommend"
Its nolf with the good bits removed.
If you want mindless fun how about serious sam and painkiller

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 25 of 38, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

All I want is a mindless, easy-to-get-into fun, with interesting (and rather campy) storyline.

Mass Effect 2-3 (+addons) with warrior character.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 26 of 38, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want System Shock style atmosphere in a *little* more action-oriented game, try out Tecno: The Base, a great freeware FPS that disappeared off its original page a while ago and was in danger of being forgotten. I quite like it. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 27 of 38, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iris030380 wrote:

14. Call Of Duty 2 (before it all started to go wrong, they made the best COD game)

I'm glad someone else feels the same way. I enjoyed CoD 1 and 2.

I haven't played MoH in years... I need to grab another copy of it.

Reply 28 of 38, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any digital distribution available for No One Lives Forever series or Contract Jack? Or only way to obtain them is chasing used copies on ebay?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 32 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

If you want System Shock style atmosphere in a *little* more action-oriented game, try out Tecno: The Base, a great freeware FPS that disappeared off its original page a while ago and was in danger of being forgotten. I quite like it. 😀

Thanks for the link. Never heard of it, but will definitely check it out!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 33 of 38, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nobody suggested Postal 2 yet? This might be "most unserious" FPS ever made.

Beware though, it's miles away from being politically correct. Well, some might call It as "sick", even 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 35 of 38, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's wrong with Postal 2 gameplay?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 38 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

he's looking for 'good enough gameplay'. This excises a lot of suggestions, like Messiah and Postal 2 😀.

What I mean by 'good enough' is more like 'passable' than 'good enough to meet certain standards'. 😁

It's actually more about story, personality, and atmosphere, which can enhance gameplay to certain degree --provided the gameplay isn't too bad to begin with. Return to Castle Wolfenstein actually has similar gameplay with Quake II; mindless shooter whose goal is merely advancing to the next level. Both games are noticeably less sophisticated than, say, Call of Duty, where you, for example, have to defend a building from enemy tanks for certain amount of time, instead of merely finding the key to the next level. However, RTCW is exciting while Quake II is bland and boring despite similar, less-than-sophisticated gameplay.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.