VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 41 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is ridiculous. 5 year old computers still have many years left ahead of them. I retired my HP Pentium 4 laptop when it was 9 years old. But the newer computers will last longer. I have an AM2+ system from 2008 upgraded to an AM3 cpu and it's still going strong. The mobo maxes out the ram at 8GB, but PC gamers still build new systems with just 8GB of ram and they consider it enough. Now isn't that funny?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 42 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder how many 2011 and earlier Macs are still in use. I know the Mac Pro 3,1 (late 2008) is still supported under the latest OS X but even the 2006 models are still supported up to 10.7 Lion and there are enterprising individuals out there who have devised ways to upgrade them beyond that. I still have some G3 and G4 Powermacs in use along with some early beige Powermacs and even some 68040 and 68030 machines. My early all in ones, except for my SE/30 are too limited for anything other than early games like Shufflepuck Cafe but still get powered up once in a while. Heck, I was still playing Everquest for Mac on my G4-533 machine right up until the day they went Intel only.

Reply 43 of 44, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still use a 5 year old Sandy Bridge i5 2500K with 12 GB RAM and a GTX 650 Ti as main rig as today.

Also still own a lot of old PCs which mostly some people gave me or were going to the trash. Thanks to trash picking PCs, now i have 102 Pentium 4 CPUs on my collection (228 CPUs total) when i stared picking PCs in 2014, i only had 19 P4s xD

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 44 of 44, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I wonder how many 2011 and earlier Macs are still in use. I know the Mac Pro 3,1 (late 2008) is still supported under the latest OS X but even the 2006 models are still supported up to 10.7 Lion and there are enterprising individuals out there who have devised ways to upgrade them beyond that. I still have some G3 and G4 Powermacs in use along with some early beige Powermacs and even some 68040 and 68030 machines. My early all in ones, except for my SE/30 are too limited for anything other than early games like Shufflepuck Cafe but still get powered up once in a while. Heck, I was still playing Everquest for Mac on my G4-533 machine right up until the day they went Intel only.

Sounds great! 😁 I've never seen a Mac Pro in real-life, though! Is it about the same size as a G5 ?
I also have my PowerMac G3 (Blue-White) and my PowerMac G4 here. I use them every now and then..
It hoppened just recently that I retrofitted the G3 with a CF card and MacOS 9 runs very well on it..
And the G4 got a dual-processor upgrade. It's now running at 2x 450Mhz..
It's still powerful to run Nestopia on Mac OS X Tiger! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//