Common searches

Retro Consoles.... who plays them

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 61, by Vyothric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Vyothric-impressive setup! Good thing you don't live in an earthquake zone. Those packed shelves make me nervous. Do you use your Atari STs much?

The other Atari computer is a 130XE. Don't use it (or the ST) much for gaming, mainly just watching demos on. I have an SIO2SD and HxC floppy emulator for them.

Mastodon | YouTube

Reply 21 of 61, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GBA, DSphat, Genesis (2nd gen), Saturn (barely works unless you tilt the thing almost vertically), Dreamcast, Tandy CoCo3 x2, PSX(/one), PS3. Had a PS2 but sold it because I never used it. I'm actually considering selling some of the others...need a new gfx card.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 22 of 61, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a few consoles, but nothing too outrageous:

- NTSC Super Famicom with Everdrive v3 (RGB SCART)
- PAL PS2 Slim with Free McBoot loading ISOs from my file server (RGB SCART)
- PAL N64 with N64RGB mod and normal carts (RGB SCART)

N64 carts aren't that expensive so I have most of the games I want for that already - my N64 console is modded with an N64RGB. I am on the lookout for a Famicom AV to mod with the NESRGB too! Prices for NES/SNES carts are absolutely insane, so I use an Everdrive for my SFC and will do for the Famicom when I get one. I'm also on the lookout for a Dreamcast and maybe a Megadrive.

My console corner isn't quite set up as I'd like yet, but I have a Sony FD Trinitron which I picked up for free a while back, and a SCART switch. Have to build a cabinet/stand for it since nobody sells TV stands for tube tellies anymore!

I also have a few handhelds - a classic DMG Gameboy, NDS Lite, PSP-3000 and a Vita. I love collecting for PSP right now, as the library is super interesting and the games are still affordable.

Reply 23 of 61, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've probably listed these many times, but here goes. I never play or use any of them, except the PS4 for movies when the Samsung BD-player refuses to read the discs.

Carinco (Pong-clone)
Atari 2600
Atari 2600jr
NES (x5)
Amiga CD32
Master System (x6)
Master System II
SNES (x2)
Mega Drive 1 (x3)
Mega Drive 2 (x2)
Philips CDi 450
Atari Jaguar
Saturn (x2)
PS1 (x3)
N64 (x2)
Dreamcast (x2)
XBOX (x3)
PS2 fat (x2)
PSOne
GameCube (x3)
PS2 slim (x2)
Xbox 360
Xbox 360 S
Nintendo Wii
XBone
PS4

I removed all the home computers etc. that you can do more than just play with.

Reply 25 of 61, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some nice stuff being posted in this thread!

My Personal favorite consoles are the Nintendo Famicom and the Sega Mega Drive.

I also like high quality displays. I own 3 Broadcast monitors. 2 Sony PVM's (14" & 20") and a 20" JVC Set.

d3613667-7791-47b9-b299-8b9aabeb4b76.jpg

This is the quality the AV Famicom pumps out in RGB. One of greatest mods that can be done to a console imho.

Zelda.jpg

Reply 26 of 61, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice collections. I have a Dreamcast (bought new), original XBox, Saturn, PS2, SNES, and Gamecube.

Pondered a Sony PVM, but as they top out at 20" and are extremely deep I'm managing with a TFT TV in 'game' mode - it's much better than TV mode.

Most recently I've been playing Jet Set Radio Future. I love my Dreamcast, but JSRF is stunning.

Reply 27 of 61, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ynari wrote:

Pondered a Sony PVM, but as they top out at 20" ...

Keep going! My biggest one is 29", and I know there are models above that.

paPPPGdh.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 28 of 61, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! Despite my love of CRT monitors and projectors, I might draw a line at the game consoles though. I do have a space issue.

Might ponder a plasma..

Reply 29 of 61, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't have a photo handy (it's upstairs and everyone's asleep at the moment), but we have a 37" Toshiba CRT TV that our consoles are hooked up to. Well over 100 lbs so not easy for a small guy like me to move around. I only weigh about 35 lbs more than it. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 30 of 61, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a bit of retro console stuff in storage, but aside from some slightly uncommon SNES games and a dead Sega CD, none of it is really special.

Reply 31 of 61, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've kept some but never really use them, it's like we all moved to PCs here. My children had their own Nintendo 64s and handhelds, and more recently Xbox 360s.

I've still got the things that were either mine by design or by default: a Playstation, a PSOne, Dreamcast, some GBAs and GBA SPs, a PSP, a Gamecube, a Wii, and a non-operational VirtualBoy. All i really played on much was the Playstation and GBA SP though I did like Burnout on the GC and Crazy Taxi on the DC. Keep meaning to have another go with this stuff, but never get round to it.

Reply 32 of 61, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to take some nicer pictures to share, but just haven't had a moment to tidy it all up and make it presentable! 😜

But here's a list, copypasted from my catalogue. All the consoles are connected to a handmade SCART switchbox, which goes in to my 29" Sony PVM.

Consoles:

Nintendo NES (PAL, Lockout chip disabled)
Nintendo Famicom (NTSC/J, NESRGB fitted, controller cables extended, box)
Nintendo SNES (PAL, 50/60Hz switch fitted, Lockout chip toggle fitted)
Nintendo 64 (PAL, S-Video enhancement fitted, RAM upgrade pack fitted)
Nintendo Gamecube (PAL, Modchip fitted, box)
Nintendo Wii (PAL, CFW installed, box)

Sega Master System I (PAL, 50/60Hz switch fitted, ROM select (Hang-on, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, JP Mark III BIOS) switch fitted)
Sega Mega Drive (NTSC/J, 50/60Hz switch fitted, Region switch fitted)
Sega Mega Drive II (PAL, 50/60Hz switch fitted, Region switch fitted, not in use)
Sega Super32X (NTSC/J, box)
Sega MegaCD (PAL, Universal BIOS fitted)
Sega Saturn (PAL, Universal BIOS fitted, 50/60Hz switchless toggle fitted)
Sega Dreamcast (PAL, Universal BIOS fitted)

Atari VCS "Jr." (PAL, S-Video output fitted)
Microsoft Xbox (PAL, CFW installed)
NEC PC-Engine Duo (NTSC/J, RGB output fitted)
Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 (NTSC/J)
SNK Neo-Geo CD (NTSC/J, box)
Sony PlayStation (PAL, Modchip fitted, not in use, box)
Sony PlayStation "PSOne" (PAL, Modchip fitted)
Sony PlayStation 2 (PAL, Modchip fitted, HDD fitted, Network Adaptor fitted, box)

Handhelds:

Nintendo 3DS (US, Aqua Blue)
Nintendo DS (Grey)
Nintendo DS Lite (White)
Nintendo GameBoy (Grey/Purple)
Nintendo GameBoy Pocket (Clear)
Nintendo GameBoy Color (Pokemon Pikachu edition)
Nintendo GameBoy Color (Purple)
Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP (Purple)
Nintendo Virtual Boy (JP, box)
Sega Game Gear
Sony PSP-1000 (CFW installed)

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2016-06-02, 22:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 33 of 61, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Have you done a video on this? I had a quick look and couldn't see one - would love to know more!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 34 of 61, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Megadrive, and a Playstation 1 (PSOne).

I have stopped playing on them ever since the PC / Laptop started to become powerful enough to emulate all those classic consoles. I'm hooked to emulators and never looked back.

But I still use my PSP and Nintendo DS and 3DS regularly. Even on them, I play emulators using Homebrew Loader (3DS), Flash Carts (DS) and Custom Firmware (PSP). I still play Sega and Nintendo games on both the PSP and DS handhelds.

Call me an emulator freak, but I find emulators are more convenient without the need to maintain the systems or controllers or the cartridges. And convenient to play on my laptop /tablet anywhere too.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 35 of 61, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Have you done a video on this? I had a quick look and couldn't see one - would love to know more!

I filmed installing it, but it wasn't very interesting so I didn't bother doing anything with it.

It's just desoldering the stock BIOS, and soldering in a replacement.

About the only interesting thing is that the chip I fitted had the dev kit bootup screen added: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtNu_IHxgc

Reply 36 of 61, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here is something for you DC fans, my modded system with the USB-GDROM board:

WP_20141030_005_zps8eb26b7b.jpg

WP_20141029_001_zps41d733a8.jpg

the only thing that sucks is the horrible bend I made to the heatpipe, it's thin as paper 😵 and once it got bent like that it was game over, no way to restore it or make it better. At least it works and the only heatsink that gets hot is the small one... there is a quiet 40x40x10mm fan between the heatsinks blowing air upwards. Stock fan is removed , stock psu replaced with a 60W PisoPSU. The heatsink assembly is from an Xbox360 .

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 37 of 61, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

here is something for you DC fans, my modded system with the USB-GDROM board:

Ever since someone mentioned SD card mods on page 1 I've been looking into it. I think i came across your name, Keropi, on assemblergames.com. As far as i can tell the product you have is no longer available and was really expensive when it was. Then there is the GDemu which is cheaper but also not currently available. Then there is the serial to SD adaptor which is apparently so inferior as to be not worthwhile. The IDE solution actually looks to be the cheapest in the sense that you can make it yourself. I guess this is what i meant by 'not particularly moddable' when you consider homebrew solutions for the PSP, Wii and Xbox - you can get full functionality just from a softmod and zero / negligible expense.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 38 of 61, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, the board did cost me close to 190eur or something... toys like that are expensive 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website