Rank
Oldbie

Eins zwei Polizei
Drei vier Grenadier
Fünf Sechs Alte Hex
Sieben Acht Gute Nacht
Ja ja ja was ist los?
Was ist das?

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 81 of 222, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Metric System is causing havoc on the North American people. Choosing between the metric system and imperial system /
Old computers and accessories are measured in Imperial system
TV’s screens, houses, building materials, weights and measurements.

Choose one ?

Attachments

Reply 82 of 222, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well we all measure our screens in inches 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 83 of 222, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-11-17, 18:37:

Well we all measure our screens in inches 😁

In Germany it's in zolls, though. 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 84 of 222, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-17, 15:01:
The Metric System is causing havoc on the North American people. Choosing between the metric system and imperial system / Old co […]
Show full quote

The Metric System is causing havoc on the North American people. Choosing between the metric system and imperial system /

Choose one ?

Ironically, US measurements are defined officially using metric.

Spoiler

That said, Fahrenheit is a better temperature measurement for daily lives, since it's rare for most places to go above 100F or below 0F. I won't die on this hill, though. I read hardware temps in Celsius by default.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 85 of 222, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-11-17, 09:43:
Eins zwei Polizei Drei vier Grenadier Fünf Sechs Alte Hex Sieben Acht Gute Nacht Ja ja ja was ist los? Was ist das? […]
Show full quote

Eins zwei Polizei
Drei vier Grenadier
Fünf Sechs Alte Hex
Sieben Acht Gute Nacht
Ja ja ja was ist los?
Was ist das?

Damn, that is an old song you just posted the lyrics too 😁

Reply 86 of 222, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I think the Metric system is driving North Americans crazy.
North Americans are use to the Imperial system.

Is just more unnecessary choices Americans need to make.
To many options. We want a Simple life.

Reply 87 of 222, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well everybody know that it is more logical to count something in tens 1 10 100 1000 then to have a wrench sizes 5/8 and 7/16. 😁

Reply 88 of 222, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-17, 15:01:
The Metric System is causing havoc on the North American people. Choosing between the metric system and imperial system / Old co […]
Show full quote

Choose one ?

Why I can use both without any problem what so ever. In combination even.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-11-18, 07:23. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 89 of 222, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-11-18, 05:58:

well everybody know that it is more logical to count something in tens 1 10 100 1000 then to have a wrench sizes 5/8 and 7/16. 😁

Five eighths? Don't you mean three quarters? 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 90 of 222, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-18, 02:19:
Yes, I think the Metric system is driving North Americans crazy. North Americans are use to the Imperial system. […]
Show full quote

Yes, I think the Metric system is driving North Americans crazy.
North Americans are use to the Imperial system.

Is just more unnecessary choices Americans need to make.
To many options. We want a Simple life.

How about also using the 24 hour system instead of am/pm ? 😁

Seriously, though, does the metric system really feel that new ?
I thought it was used there in the fields of science, medicine and by the military.

dr_st wrote on 2020-11-18, 07:21:
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-11-18, 05:58:

Five eighths? Don't you mean three quarters? 🤣

Wait, that reminds me of the French language. They have some hard time there counting numbers! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 91 of 222, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When we finally had the choice to learn english instead of russian we immediately took it. It's just too convenient and people don't care if you use incorrect grammar or whatever because we still understand each other and that's what counts. It's a bridge between nations. I see grammar nazis pop up every now and then but it's rare.
It's also a cool language because of America and like it or not, America is the shit when it comes to popularity. What they think is popular becomes popular, simple as that. I sure as hell wouldn't want to learn russian or german or chinese.

Reply 92 of 222, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Metric and Imperial systems never really line up correctly.
It would make more sense to color code label nuts and bolts and products so people don’t confuse the sizes.
A simple color code label would help to organize items so people will know that these item will work together.
Maybe even a bar code or QR code on the items.

Reply 93 of 222, by surrodox2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-18, 09:55:
The Metric and Imperial systems never really line up correctly. It would make more sense to color code label nuts and bolts and […]
Show full quote

It would make more sense to color code label nuts and bolts and products so people don’t confuse the sizes.
A simple color code label would help to organize items so people will know that these item will work together.

Then you ran into problems like colorblinds can't read those color codes, but a barcode seems like a good idea.

Reply 94 of 222, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
surrodox2001 wrote on 2020-11-18, 11:47:
The Metric and Imperial systems never really line up correctly. It would make more sense to color code label nuts and bolts and […]
Show full quote

Then you ran into problems like colorblinds can't read those color codes, but a barcode seems like a good idea.

Some people seem to re-purpose the colour code of resistors for such purposes..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 95 of 222, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

Why? Imperal threads don't work with metric threads and vise versa.

Rulers and tape measures are available with metric on opne sidid/edge and imperial on the other side/edge, digital verrnier calipers that can switch units, laser measurement devices that can switch units.

You are imagining problems that do not exist or easy to overcome. Like lot of your posts/threads quite frankly.

And what does this have to do with an english language thread?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 96 of 222, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the following offtopic entry:
I´m not seeing the option to create a new topic from scratch anymore.
Is this happening to you too? (site under maintenance maybe?)

Reply 97 of 222, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In reality Celsius is more proctical for humans and ecpecyally for heating and traffic. Because te tipping point is water freezing. And everything else it add to the equasion. And American have military time 24h. but yes that AM PM thing is bygone. Yes even in europe the analog mechanical clocks are 12 hour, we add a time of day to it, is it morning, day, afternoon, night.

Reply 98 of 222, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-18, 16:18:
Why? Imperal threads don't work with metric threads and vise versa. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Why? Imperal threads don't work with metric threads and vise versa.

Rulers and tape measures are available with metric on opne sidid/edge and imperial on the other side/edge, digital verrnier calipers that can switch units, laser measurement devices that can switch units.

You are imagining problems that do not exist or easy to overcome. Like lot of your posts/threads quite frankly.

And what does this have to do with an english language thread?

Well, this post is about ONE language for the entire world. If there is going to be ONE language then its system of measurement will probably be Metric. It will never happen.

Reply 99 of 222, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-11-18, 07:32:

Wait, that reminds me of the French language. They have some hard time there counting numbers! ^^

1995:

English: nineteenninetyfive
Dutch: negentienvijfennegentig
German: neunzehnhundertfünfundneunzig
French: mille neuf cents quatre-vingts-quinze

🤣

Still, I like the French language so much more than any other language. It sounds so elegantly, fluent without emphasizing the consonants too much (which also makes it hard to hear/understand what a French talking person says).

I find German a terrible language grammatically. In some ways German is similar to Dutch. I like browsing German ebay and Amazon, the language feels quite native to me to read, but I often have a hard time figuring out what German people say.

English is in general quite easy to use for the Dutch, especially for younger people (English is kind of a second language thanks to American/English tv programs, movies, manuals, books, ads etc.).