VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

doomtnt.png

I don't remember if I've ever advertized it here before, but years back I created a website which provides authentic recordings of Roland SC-55 music packs for various DOS games that supported it. The idea being that you can use them with modern source ports and experience them the way they were meant to be heard. I had already made Doom and Doom 2 music packs and never did find the time to finish off Final Doom (TNT: Evilution). Last week I finally got around to finishing it up and releasing it. The Doom packs work with GZDoom, ZDoom, and even Chocolate Doom (with some necessary config files, and not in Windows yet). I've also got packs already up for Duke Nukem 3D (which was used for the Megaton Edition on Steam when it was still around 🙁), Super 3D Noah's Ark (also used on the Steam port), Hocus Pocus (which works with a sweet mod for GZDoom called Hocusdoom), Rise of the Triad, Descent, and others. I'm currently working on Heretic and Hexen next with more to come (including some beta and other unreleased tracks eventually). They're all available in OGG, FLAC, and MP3 (with a few exceptions on some older packs that I need to redo).

Roland SC-55 Music Packs Website

The later packs I've made come with metadata loop tags for seamless looping playback ingame (EDuke32, GZDoom, ZDoom, and Chocolate Doom all support metadata loop tags, there's a more extensive list with details on the website) but only for OGG and FLAC. MP3s don't support custom tags so it won't work with, but they're good for throwing on your phone or whatever.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2018-12-12, 14:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't one of the TNT Evilution songs "corrupt" when trying to play? I forgot the name of the track but it plays on Map02.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Didn't one of the TNT Evilution songs "corrupt" when trying to play? I forgot the name of the track but it plays on Map02.

Yes, but it was an easy fix.

leileilol wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Hexen

A little redundant there? The CD tracks are (most of) the midis through a soundcanvas. 😉

From the SC-88 rather than the SC-55, wasn't it? Also, those tracks don't seamlessly loop. You could create tags sure, but with my recordings I have the control to create perfect loop points without any popping or clipping sounds. I can also do my own post processing. Besides, I don't have the CD and neither do a lot of others.

EDIT: Just looked it up and apparently not all the MIDI files are represented on the CD soundtrack. That's reason enough to motivate me to rerecord.

My Github

Reply 4 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heretic.png
Heretic SC-55 Music Pack
is released! OGG/FLAC/MP3 (metadata loop tags don't work in MP3 as usual)

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2018-12-13, 04:44. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 6 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for mentioning that! Fixed.

My Github

Reply 7 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To avoid derailing the other thread, quoting it here:

MusicallyInspired wrote:

Volume-wise, and patch-selection-wise, yes they are more balanced. The patches used on the SC-55 for the Heretic soundtrack are awful (not the patch sounds themselves, as the SC-55 has great sounds, but rather the choice of patch selections in these tracks. I just don't think they work well. I still think it's an afterthought). The whole soundtrack in SC-55 is horrid IMO. Yeah, there's plenty of polyphony problems on OPL and it's not optimal, but you can actually hear everything that's being sounded (if there were no polyphony issues). There are channels that are set way too low in volume on the SC-55 that you can hear just fine in OPL (there's a string channel in E1M2 for instance).

Just listened to your pack, and another example that sounds pretty off-balance, IMO, is E1M8 (Hell's Maw). The main theme (or at least what I consider to be the main theme) is so quiet that it's barely audible; the AWE32 rendition exhibits the same problem, while the Adlib (FM) version, sounds much more balanced (even if the instruments are worse). To me this is another evidence that the tracks were balanced for FM output, not General MIDI / wavetable.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed. My enhanced pack will fix all these issues. Also, I was wondering if AWE32 wavetable had the same issues. Thanks for confirming that for me.

My Github

Reply 9 of 13, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious if it sounds more balanced on the Yamaha MU modules? I have an MU1000EX with the officially licensed GS mode and it tends to change the balancing on tracks quite a bit. I wonder if it'd make Heretic sound better...

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 10 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

My Github

Reply 11 of 13, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roger that. I'll report back to you in a moment - I needed to boot that thing up for work on another piece of music anyways 😀

EDIT: Got them recorded - I forgot gzDOOM automatically sends GM resets now, so this was recorded with my MU in GM mode. Pretty impressed with how it sounds, even though the drums are definitely too loud in E1M1.

E1M1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-bSu4N0qtfqH … iew?usp=sharing
E1M8: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1imXwtU465gRh … iew?usp=sharing

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 12 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sounds nice, true. In E1M8, though, the main theme is still overshadowed, just like in AWE/SC-55 versions. Do you think this is how it's supposed to be?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you do E1M2 and E2M3? I'm curious about those. Both have missing instruments in GM.

My Github