VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Here is a top tip on how to block/remove GWX without any 3'd parts app blocking updates or anything like that. I know a lot of you guys don't like GWX and some use 3'd parts app blocking updates, but I find this to be much more useful, I use it at work on about a 100+ PC's running windows 7, it should work on windows 8 as well.

1: Go to C:WindowsSystem32 were C: is the drive windows is installed on.

2: Right click on the GWX DIR and click properties.

3: Click on security tab, then advance

4: Click on Owner tab, at the bottom of the Owner tab there is and edit box. click on it.

5: Click on your user (not the administrators user) then check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" then click ok If you user is not there add it buy clicking on the "other users or groups box"

6: Now that you back to the GWX DIR properties click edit under the security tab and deny all rights to the system user admin user and any other user but your own. Be sure to give your user full right to the GWX DIR as well. You might receive a bunch of nonsice about not being able to change the permissions of the files, just click ok if you get those.

7: Open the task manager and kill GWX.EXE.

8: Delete everything in the GWX DIR in C:WindowsSystem32 were C: is the drive windows is installed on. But keep the GWX DIR.

Done its gone for good, sort of, the GWX updates will still be on you PC, but you will not be bugged by GWX anymore.
I don't know of anyone easel knows about this or not so I thought I'd post it, I'm sure I'm not the only one that had this idea.

Reply 1 of 16, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is an official way from Microsoft though.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
German computer magazine c't has a small .reg file as a download setting described keys.
http://www.heise.de/ct/downloads/04/1/7/1/6/6 … 6/3/NoWin10.zip

My YouTube Channel

Reply 2 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Solarstorm wrote:
There is an official way from Microsoft though. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 German computer magazine c't has […]
Show full quote

German computer magazine c't has a small .reg file as a download setting described keys.

The group policy thing does not always work for me and the Reg key is nice and all, but not everyone wants to use 3'd party stuff, A lot of workplaces have rules on stuff like that.
I know there are a lot of better options out there, but as far as I know this is the best one without using any third party apps, scrips and keys.

Reply 4 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

not everyone wants to use 3'd party stuff, A lot of workplaces have rules on stuff like that.

Any workplace restricting such things most likely does not allow users to be taking ownership of system folders, if they even allow access to those folders.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 16, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solarstorm wrote:
There is an official way from Microsoft though. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 German computer magazine c't has […]
Show full quote

^^^^
This

In the guide, below "Computer configuration" there is a section called "Windows registry" which states to disable the same key that is stated in the .reg file download.

Scroll down to "Hide the Get Windows 10 app (notification area icon)", and it states to set the value "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx DisableGwx = 1", which again is the same key as stated in the .reg file. Do what MS state, if you delete the key, some MS bot might think your OS platform hasn't been notifiied about the update and put these keys back in at some point in the future anyway. Rather, set them to disabled.

Both sources state the same key, just different ways to do it with the same outcome. So I would trust the .reg file (its not entirely 3'rd party, more like a script interpreted to change the reg key values).

Doing anything else might place you outside any support should the shtf, and could be considered 3rd party by MS.

Reply 6 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I worked in several IT departments and not being allowed to install/use unimproved software is pretty common, but being allowed to change file permission and access to system files on workstations is pretty common, it's servers and mission critical system that tend to be more restive. Anyway I find M$ guide to be dodgy at best.
I applied it to a lot of pc's only to find gwx coming back.

Reply 7 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd rather trust documented group policy / registry keys, than mess with permissions of files in the Windows system directory. I got burned in the past when I screwed something up and the system could not get access to its own files, causing erratic behavior. And I am sure I am not the only one.

Last edited by dr_st on 2016-06-14, 14:33. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 16, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

not everyone wants to use 3'd party stuff, A lot of workplaces have rules on stuff like that.

Any workplace restricting such things most likely does not allow users to be taking ownership of system folders, if they even allow access to those folders.

^^^^
This then...

If your authorisation doesn't allow you to install programs then your have little say in stopping a windows 10 installation, this will be governed by admin which will walkover any credentials/attributes you set on a dir to stop files being copied into it.

Either you become god and stop the evil penetrating your machine..(one must become admin)

or

Your fighting god, and my money is on a smite! (you are a user, in admins playground)

In summary, its a nice idea, but won't work because there are powers at play here (admin) who you cannot compete with. 😀

Reply 9 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

I worked in several IT departments and not being allowed to install/use unimproved software is pretty common, but being allowed to change file permission and access to system files on workstations is pretty common, it's servers and mission critical system that tend to be more restive. Anyway I find M$ guide to be dodgy at best.
I applied it to a lot of pc's only to find gwx coming back.

Changing file permissions on system files requires local administrator rights. Those two combined and you can override mostly any management.

I think you are giving your previous workplaces too much credit by calling them IT departments.

Reply 10 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ZellSF wrote:

I think you are giving your previous workplaces too much credit by calling them IT departments.

I worked in the IT departments so I had admin right. I seen/worked for plenty of places were one has to have and software ok'd by marketing, security and even a board. But changing permissions tend kept within the IT department and maybe security.

Right now at the place I work for I head up the IT department, but any non free software has to be OK'd by marketing, and free solftware has to be ok'd by the IT department as a hole and the head of marketing if it not used to fix computers or only used on IT staff computers only. If you work in any company that has outdated policys or policy writen up by old school folks you can bet it will be like that.

Reply 12 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Right now at the place I work for I head up the IT department, but any non free software has to be OK'd by marketing, and free solftware has to be ok'd by the IT department as a hole and the head of marketing if it not used to fix computers or only used on IT staff computers only.

Seems like a simple registry change would fall under the auspices of "to fix computers".

If you "head up the IT department", then you should be implementing tools like SCCM, WSUS and GPO's to make these sorts of changed. If you're running from machine to machine doing these sorts of things, you're doing it wrong!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Got to try these things out for my Windows 7 VM. I need it for testing and I need it to remain Windows 7 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All never10 does is change those 2 registry settings in the Microsoft document. And will optionally delete the win10 bits that were downloaded without your permission. It's an 80kb non-installing exe from a trusted source. It's all I use on non domain joined PCs.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I worked in the IT departments so I had admin right. I seen/worked for plenty of places were one has to have and software ok'd by marketing, security and even a board. But changing permissions tend kept within the IT department and maybe security.

File permissions is what allows you to run software, or limit user access to anything. If you're not limiting file permissions on system files, you're basically just asking users nicely to go along with your idea of limiting software.

Asking nicely and monitoring people is not the way to manage computers. Actually enforcing proper policies is. If you work in a place with a marketing department, security department and that answers to a board that sounds like a huge enough corporation that you need to be thinking scaleability.