VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Smartphones aside, sub-10" x86 Windows 10 tablets seem like the modern equivalent now.
The last device I can think of that was a "handheld computer" rather than a tablet was Sony's Vaio P in 2010.

sony-vaio-p-rom-7nusoe.jpg

Reply 21 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deep Thought wrote:

Smartphones aside, sub-10" x86 Windows 10 tablets seem like the modern equivalent now.
The last device I can think of that was a "handheld computer" rather than a tablet was Sony's Vaio P in 2010.

Oh, I remember this one on the shelves when I was shopping for netbook in 2010! A complete first-gen (N270) netbook was worth 12k in local currency. The Vaio was 30k and featured equal hardware while having this useless ultra-narrow screen, which looked like 1024x400 or something... 1024x600 is too small vertically to fit some poorly written software, let alone 1024x600... AFAIK, they later moved to 1600x768, now that's more like it!

Reply 22 of 23, by retrocoded

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2016-07-13, 00:34:
And then there was also the IC35 ("The Unifier") made by Siemens! It was essentially a tiny latop at the size of a pack of cigar […]
Show full quote

And then there was also the IC35 ("The Unifier") made by Siemens! It was essentially a tiny latop at the size of a pack of cigarettes!
It had one (or two?) MMC slots, a full keyboard and it was able to run self-written applications (*.app). The SDK was for free, aswell.
I was lucky to had one of these! I ran several games and a full blown BASIC interpreter on it (like GW-Basic).
Sadly I never had enough money to afford an Multi Media Card for it (this was before SD cards, back when 16MB cards were huge and expensive).
So I always had to use the docking station and remove apps when space was scarce.

Anyone still have access to that SDK? Would like to get my hands on a copy!

Thanks