Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:
computergeek92 wrote:

I recommend having not just a server with a raid to frequently backup to, but also backup your data to Blu-Ray data disk, DVD data discs, and spare hard drives stored away.

I can't justify Bluray backup, just darned expensive.

What I'm going to be doing is an external eSATA or USB 3.0 backup drive, ill buy the cage and drive seperately so I don't pay an arm and a leg for it

Blu-Rays have scratch resistance compared to DVDs, and won't fail like a hard drive. They can last longer than hard drives if taken care of.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 41 of 43, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

Blu-Rays have scratch resistance compared to DVDs, and won't fail like a hard drive. They can last longer than hard drives if taken care of.

similar promises about dvds were made - no scratch, no light, they just stop to read, thats all;

Reply 42 of 43, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been burning DVDs since 2002 and have found them very reliable if burned at correct speed. The disks I burned back then are still readable. I assume Blu-rays will be the same. The big failures have been with CD-Rs. Old CD-Rs are usually full of errors even if stored correctly.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 43 of 43, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

on my acronis backup task I bring online my backup partition, backup stuff on it, then detach it. I hope that's enough to deter cryptovirus. Maybe I should manually plug and unplug the disk too...