VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... My woman is goth and I am only after the retro-hipster's because they drive prices up, and are hurting this hobby we all have.
You know... Why new ones to this hobby can not even get medium quality stuff.

Speaking of goth's. They are the most happy ones of all sub cultures. I know. I have a goth woman.
Those that are crying about their parents earning like a million bucks a year, and trying to cut them selves are emo's.
Goth's are polite speaking, they think and care about others and they hurt nobody.
Yet... If you want to see a fight, then place a goth and a punker in the same room.
Punkers believe in anarchy and chaoes. They are the opposite of goth's. The fight allways start when the punker is
tired of the goth speaking about being a decent and polite person. Then the goth will be punched in the face.
And yeah... Every goth will fight back. For the record, goth's do not hang around mall's.
They would rather go on a open air tea party, with black umbrella's.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 66, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sub culture isn't really a sub culture, once you have enough people everyone else knows aobut it, your no longer diffrent, your just following a crowd.

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go home put on my jean shorts, my polo shirt, my socks and my sandals. 😁

Reply 22 of 66, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with hipsterism isn't that it's a subculture - it's a mentality. It wouldn't be half as bad if it was a subculture, but it's actually the exact antithesis - if sub-/counter-/*-cultures were living things, then hipsterism would be a tumor that divests them of meaning until they die. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 23 of 66, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate all those "retro-gamers" driving the prices of vintage Roland + Yamaha + Voyetra gear up without having any actual clue what MIDI does or what sound synthesis means, but are willing to spend $250 on an ISA card to use to play "Commander Keen." Fuck those guys.

Signed,
a bearded, skinny-jeans-wearing, retro-new-wave composing hipster musician (who happens to hang around here because he likes using old hardware in interesting ways.)

Last edited by xjas on 2016-07-18, 22:08. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Well.... My woman is goth

Hm... possible awkward moment there ... Now all we need is an actual "vintage hipster" to show up and chime in as well--oh that happened too! 🤣

Anyway, I was going to mention The Crow (I like the styling from City of Angels) but not sure how to fit that into this thread. 😊

Appearances aside I would try to feel into what's in a person (well... when I do care... you know sometimes there's just nothing but junk), and I guess I have an affinity for the "dark" or the "underworld" if you know what I mean -- people who are exploring their depths, so to speak. And I must say that those who may fit the (outer) look of, say, "Goth" do not necessarily fall into the stereotypes fabricated in the minds of people who have no idea about them in person or what their life is like. You know as they say, don't judge a cover by its look! 😀

Another obvious example of humanity's penchant for playing dress-up: cosplaying/cosplayers, a "sub-culture" (whatever that means now) which is definitely & absolutely based on appearance, unashamedly so. And if they're enjoying it, having fun with it, then what's the matter? If someone doesn't like it they can always look away somewhere else!

As for "retro-hipsters" driving prices up... I'm not sure I follow you on that premise/theory though. While using (otherwise usable) a retro piece as decoration/props may seem detestable to others, but hey, they bought it with their own money and they can do anything they want with it.

Really, compared to beliefs in BDSM/slavery under any name, racial superiority, or in hell... Alright, I know you guys just wanna have fun bashing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 25 of 66, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This kind of discussion really has no place in this forum. Bashing of any kind, sub-cultures or not, should not be allowed.

As far as I am aware the point of Vogons is to use the (old) computers any way we want, including putting a Commodore monitor on top of a Apple II without fear of threats like "I want to punch hipsters right in their skinny-jeans wearing balls."

I am not an admin, nor do I want to do armchair-admin, but I would like to request this topic be closed, as I do not see anything useful or good coming out of it.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 26 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually don't hate hipster in particular --I dislike all subcultures equally. 😉

Seriously, why do people hate hipster that much? If there's a subculture I'd really hate, it's actually chav instead of hipster, because here in Indonesia we already have a chav-equivalent, which is called alay.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 27 of 66, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladstamate wrote:

This kind of discussion really has no place in this forum. Bashing of any kind, sub-cultures or not, should not be allowed.

Agreed. I think this sort of discussion is just sad. Let people do whatever they like doing, whether it's dressing a certain way, buying certain things, listening to certain music, preferring some things over others... it's what makes people unique in their mind, it makes them feel good about themselves and makes them feel like they fit in somewhere. Isn't that what we all want out of our own various hobbies?

Colleagues and friends (outside of my hobbies) question me because I have a "stupid tube TV", but I don't care because I know it's a Sony PVM and it makes my old consoles, which I love playing, look sensational. That makes me feel good, and screw what everyone else thinks.

Hating on people because their subculture is "superficial" or lame or whatever, just screams insecurity. Be happy with your hobbies, and be willing to accept other people's hobbies - because they might just have the same view of you as you do of them. If it doesn't affect you then why should you care?

Reply 28 of 66, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well said vladstamate. There's been a lot of this petulant / negative / cynical nonsense being posted here lately and it lowers the tone of an otherwise focused and mature forum. So you guys don't like subculture X? That be your problem, not theirs.

People are people are people, trying to find interest and enjoyment where they can. They can be annoying as hell don't get me wrong - I'm sure even Zen monks find themselves bitching about the new guy with the tighter than usual robes - but you're not going to change them, so why not man up and live and let live?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 29 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never said I hate hipsters, only said that I don't want to sell something to someone that are not using it. I actually started this tread, because some people here did not believe that someone are driving prices up, just because it is "cool" to have some retro equipment for the same reason as having a vase or a painting on the wall. They do damage to the prices, wich again results in newcomers to this hobby can not afford something like 486 board's.

Never ever said that I hate hipsters. That one is on other people's shoulder's 😀 If I have, I will gladly take the words back.
This topic is not about hate to a specific type of person. It is about the fact that people are driving up prices for no good reason.

Reply 30 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:

Really, compared to beliefs in BDSM/slavery under any name, racial superiority, or in hell... Alright, I know you guys just wanna have fun bashing.

Yeah... That's why Fetlife exists. (Don't ask how I know. The rabbithole goes deep, even there.)

Reply 32 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
archsan wrote:

Yeah... That's why Fetlife exists. (Don't ask how I know. The rabbithole goes deep, even there.)

Well, BDSM as a "play" isn't the problem. If you're conscious and aware about it, it's not really a danger at all... But I was referring to the greater domination/submission mentality that needs to be shaken right now on planet earth... alright I won't get into that here, it's going to be far more controversial than debates about hipsters, I know. 😀

Cheers! I think some of us also got too serious on the other hand. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 33 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

And I thought the Intel vs. AMD clique rivalry was bad...

That's nothing.... 😀
Try Amiga VS. PC in the early 90's or Amiga VS. Atari in the late 80's. They got pretty hands on and physical towards the hardware they hated.

Reply 35 of 66, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What you hate, is people who are buying something that they do not understand, but they try to be cool and hip, and so forth , In fact this "thing", about being "hipsters" and shit. In fact it reminds me in some ways of the whole "80s" "yuppy" trend/stuff. brostenen get off your bourgeois arse, and show some God damn courtesy and respect ! You just pissed on so many sub-cultures except for the goth. Because you have a goth wife. After my mother died earlier this I realised how much bollocks is going around, that I am tired off. Hell what you said about punks, well I knew the guy who died after the gig with NOFX (at the grey hall in Christiania) and he was a GREAT friend. He would have looked at you, and debated with you in a very calm and polite manner. And he would even explain to you what anarchy means, and what it is NOT. When I found out, he was dead. I was crying and sobbing, and I was held by people around me, who are of all sub-cultures. I still miss him, but he is gone. So brostenen if you are a part of those who divide people, then you are a part of the problem. Not a part of the solution. And to be quite honest it is NOT only hipsters who makes prices go up. It is in any field where there is money going to be made, on the word "retro", including shitty paintings, that has been recognised as "art".
It is anywhere and everywhere. I am neither a punk, an emo, a goth or anything like that. I do not fit into those categories.
I am a human being who has many friends and acquaintances of all sub-cultures.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2016-07-19, 02:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

What you hate, is people who are buying something that they do not understand, but they try to be cool and hip, and so forth , In fact this "thing", about being "hipsters" and shit. In fact it reminds me in some ways of the whole "80s" "yuppy" trend/stuff. brostenen get off your bourgeois arse, and show some God damn courtesy and respect ! You just pissed on so many sub-cultures except for the goth. Because you have a goth wife. After my mother died earlier this I realised how much bollocks is going around, that I am tired off. Hell what you said about punks, well I knew the guy who died after the gig with NOFX (at the grey hall in Christiania) and he was a GREAT friend. He would have looked at you, and debated with you in a very calm and polite manner. And he would even explain to you what anarchy means, and what it is NOT. When I found out, he was dead. I was crying and sobbing, and I was held by people around me, who are of all sub-cultures. I still miss him, but he is gone. So brostenen if you are a part of those who divide people, then you are a part of the problem. Not a part of the solution. And to be quite honest it is NOT only hipsters who makes prices go up. It is in any field where there is money going to be made, on the word "retro", including shitty paintings, that has been recognised as "art".
It is anywhere and everywhere. I am neither a punk, an emo, a goth or anything like that. I do not fit into those categories.
I am a human being who has many friends and acquaintances of all sub-cultures.

Please tell me how I said bad things about other sub cultures. I am only serving what other subcultures have explained to me.
Please explain my words to me, so I can understand how and why I acted the way you say I did.

Sorry if you had a Friend that died. That is awefull. Only how I managed to step on him and everyone else is a mysterie to me.
If you have known punkers back in the 90's and 80's that were polite and down to earth, then things have changed.
Punkers from every goth's perspective here in my town, are ready to make chaos and fight.
They are in some sence the 00/10's version of an alternative hooligan. That is why they never go to certain bar's and the
reason why goth's and metalheads never go to another certain bar. Shure there are allways some who are not as others.

I have never said that people who are "retro-hipster's" are the problem, I have said that they are part of the problem.
In fact. I am not even talking about hipsters in general. I am talking about retro-hipsters.
There is a difference.... Why people are talking about the general hipster here, I have no idea.
Just please explain to me what I wrote, in a way that I know how I am stepping on others.