VOGONS

Common searches

Vintage hipster's.... I have mentioned them before.

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

An internation BBQ about old hardware, and so forth. Slam dab in the middle of Denmark. Well that would be a hoot.

For that we need sponsors. One weekend with lectures, just to show the sponsors that we wish to do something.
If that is a viable option at all. I don't give it much hope though.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 61 of 66, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As much as I hate the rising prices due to demand at least the hardware is being saved from the idiotic gold scrappers who are too greedy for the metals to ever care to look up what to save, hell they are so greedy they even cheat themselves when they could have cherry picked a few things and make a lot more money.

I don't mind the hipsters much so long they are not bragging like crazy on youtube and social media unless they have something of worth to offer to the community like game reviews, showing people how to not only build but fix hardware as well teaching people what to avoid. It is easy to buy a lot of expensive and rare hardware to show off but it is a whole different ball game to really go the extra mile like Hightreason does with his reviews. I like the imperfections of his reviews rust and all as there are hardly no one else that shows this hobby as it really is at times.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 62 of 66, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

When someone's selling equipment for a price that people find ridiculous, or uses functional hardware as nothing more than a social status symbol (while actually bashing those who would put it to any other use), it is everybody's prerogative to call them out on it whether or not you personally find it constructive. The onus of 'manning up' would be on those who scream personal offense at every form of criticism. If that spoils your 'forum experience', take a deep breath and go do something else for a while. 😉

Yeah yeah yeah sure sure sure criticise away, but this specific topic is being raised and debated regularly and often leads to negativity towards individuals, as it has in this topic. "Hipsters are raising prices!" --> "Member X has overpaid, HE'S raising prices!". There's no evidence that this is happening and even if it were true, so what? We're a tiny community who like to play with old computer junk - we're not talking about a world-wide shortage of life saving vaccine here dudes.

I have found myself 'taking a deep breath and going somewhere else for a while' recently, but there is still good in you nerds, I can feel it. Even when you're spazzing out over nothing 🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 63 of 66, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As unappealing as it sounds, I think it is us - people who really value and want old hardware to tinker with - that are the driving force in price increases. Although most of us don't and won't pay top dollar, some of us - enough of us - do. And that's the way it is. Demographics probably plays a big part - enthusiast in their 40-50's can finally afford to just "f'ing buy the *@#$ thing" that once eluded them in their 20's and get on with it.

I'm surrounded by hipsters - heck Williamsburg NYC is a stone's throw away. But as much as hipster "maker culture" dominates cultural discussion I honestly don't think it amounts to much and certainly not in the realm of legacy PC - hipster commitment is way too thin and too superficial. Even now the hipster moment is sort of fading as a generation of urban trust funders finally merges into society. For all their annoying habits I really don't think they're the ones fishing the nuggets out of our gold panner stream...

It's like craft beer. As much as hipsters identify with it and "should have been" the creators of the movement (along with all the craft spirits etc) it's not them but real people that actually got up off their ass and made it happen. Hipsters are a generation of scene stealers and will fade away. They don't represent any sort of musical, artistic, philosophical or political movement - just a derived fashion/lifestyle statement.

I have met the enemy - and it is us... if anyone remembers the reference 😀

Reply 64 of 66, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:
As unappealing as it sounds, I think it is us - people who really value and want old hardware to tinker with - that are the driv […]
Show full quote

As unappealing as it sounds, I think it is us - people who really value and want old hardware to tinker with - that are the driving force in price increases. Although most of us don't and won't pay top dollar, some of us - enough of us - do. And that's the way it is. Demographics probably plays a big part - enthusiast in their 40-50's can finally afford to just "f'ing buy the *@#$ thing" that once eluded them in their 20's and get on with it.

I'm surrounded by hipsters - heck Williamsburg NYC is a stone's throw away. But as much as hipster "maker culture" dominates cultural discussion I honestly don't think it amounts to much and certainly not in the realm of legacy PC - hipster commitment is way too thin and too superficial. Even now the hipster moment is sort of fading as a generation of urban trust funders finally merges into society. For all their annoying habits I really don't think they're the ones fishing the nuggets out of our gold panner stream...

It's like craft beer. As much as hipsters identify with it and "should have been" the creators of the movement (along with all the craft spirits etc) it's not them but real people that actually got up off their ass and made it happen. Hipsters are a generation of scene stealers and will fade away. They don't represent any sort of musical, artistic, philosophical or political movement - just a derived fashion/lifestyle statement.

I have met the enemy - and it is us... if anyone remembers the reference 😀

Pogo by Walt Kelly, right?

Reply 65 of 66, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a limited amount of nice retro stuff for sale in the bubble of your top Google results and eBay, and those items are basically finding buyers who don't care about price. I really don't think it's these casual hipsters paying the highest prices and pushing the market - it's the hardware collectors looking for their next centerpiece. An equally shallow but different purpose. I don't judge, though.

My big-red-switch 486