VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I just updated my Windows 10 64-Bit to the Anniversary Edition version 1607.

After this update, my computer stopped recognizing my audio card entirely. My audio card is ASUS STRIX RAID DLX.

I tried unplugging the audio card out, uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them but it won't let me install because the audio card is not recognized by the computer.

It frustrated me that a Windows 10 update could "ruin" my audio card driver that I had to make a post here asking for help.

Anyone help?

Reply 1 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Salvia wrote:

I had to make a post here asking for help.

I'm not really sure what gave you the idea that people here would be particularly knowledgeable about this issue..? You'll probably find a lot more people running Windows 10 elsewhere.

Considering this update was only just released, I would be inclined to wait a couple of days for Microsoft to release a fix of some sort.

Reply 2 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Salvia wrote:

I had to make a post here asking for help.

I'm not really sure what gave you the idea that people here would be particularly knowledgeable about this issue..? You'll probably find a lot more people running Windows 10 elsewhere.

Considering this update was only just released, I would be inclined to wait a couple of days for Microsoft to release a fix of some sort.

I fully agree.

Salvia wrote:

It frustrated me that a Windows 10 update could "ruin" my audio card driver that I had to make a post here asking for help.

Anyone help?

Windows 10 x86-64 is far more picky about its drivers than earlier releases. Perhaps your driver isn't properly "signed" and Win10 refuses to use it.

Read more about it here :

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disabl … signed-drivers/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/f … 2336d248?auth=1

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 24, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jo22, I did what you said and it changed nothing.

I also got some blue screen of death error multiple times as I was restarting my computer.
It says stop code DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL whatever that means.

This new update seriously destroyed my sound driver.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply 4 of 24, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is a yellow exclamation mark appearing under Device Manager?

Have you checked ASUS website for the latest updated driver?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you really should bring it to ASUS' own official forum. Contact their technical support as well.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 24, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt its an Microsoft Windows problem, but more of an Asus driver problem as Asus is known for bad and misbehaving drivers (Such as Xonar D series white noise driver bug).

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 7 of 24, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it's like sound card is not detected at all and I can't make the computer detect it no matter what.

And, yes I did ask asus for customer service, but I think it is a windows / driver related issue.

Also, I have a Hauppage TV-HVR-2255 tv tuner card attached to my computer, on the blue screen of death, it is showing one of its driver files as a problem, and it may be conflicting with my sound card.

Reply 9 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried Microsoft support? Not that I'm sure they would be helpful. 😁

But this is generally why I'd rather "defer upgrades". I just recently upgraded my machines to "1511" (TH2) so I could wait another couple of months. Windows or Mac, software compatibility or driver problems that come with OS upgrades are something to be expected these days.

I guess you could always try going back with System Restore then (I hope you have had it enabled before upgrading).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 10 of 24, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

archsan, can you tell me more about what defer windows updates means?

I still don't understand how a simple windows update can utterly destroy my device drivers and functioning.

Reply 11 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Salvia wrote:

I assume he means disabling the automatic installation of updates, and just telling Windows to update later if it ever asks.

I still don't understand how a simple windows update can utterly destroy my device drivers and functioning.

I have the impression that it is not a "simple update". This is a rather massive update.

Reply 12 of 24, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you have secure boot enabled? I read that the anniversary update requires drivers be signed if secure boot is turned on.

I'll never "upgrade" to Windows 10. I'll stick to 8.1 otherwise my modified Sound Canvas SC-D70 x86_64 Vista driver might stop working.

Reply 13 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salvia wrote:

"Upgrades" here mean big updates (yes massive, practically you've just installed a new version of the OS) containing new features that we could now expect to happen about twice a year or so (maybe less often after the current one).

So we've had since first RTM build 10240 or version "1507" in July 2015 --> build 10586 or version "1511" in November 2015 --> build 14393 or version "1607" in July 2016 (Anniversary Update).

And by "defer upgrades" I mean this.

Though I just remembered that it's not available in Win10 Home version (ugh).

Jorpho wrote:

I assume he means disabling the automatic installation of updates, and just telling Windows to update later if it ever asks.

Please see the link above. As long as I don't upgrade to the new big version, I stay on the older "Branch" and will still get regular security and fixes updates for that branch, so the system will still be up-to-date (automatically), only lacking the new features.

Reply 14 of 24, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should get this tool.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TO MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR OS/DATA PRIOR TO USING IT.

When you are ready to use it, make sure YOU ONLY INSTALL THOSE DEVICES THAT HAS NO DRIVER INSTALLED, that is, disregard other drivers saying "a better driver is available but it's an older version". If you want to be on the safe side, put a checkmark on EXPERT MODE and select only NOT INSTALLED.

The reason for this is that I have bricked some Windows installation by installing some drivers with this tool. Do not install any video driver ever with this tool. Let Windows Update find it first or go to nVidia or AMD website for them.

Good luck.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 16 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

I doubt its an Microsoft Windows problem, but more of an Asus driver problem as Asus is known for bad and misbehaving drivers (Such as Xonar D series white noise driver bug).

Oh, sounds bad indeed. 🙁
I had a Xonar D1 PCI, but never encountered issues despite using studio headphones (AKG Monitor).
Maybe that was because I was running an OS without a crippled audio system (Win XP) ?

Salvia wrote:

Guys, I restored the older windows build and now things are normal like they were before.

I guess I can't use the newest update.

See you later.

Ah, okay. At least, things are working again. 😐

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 24, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had similar issues recently. There apparently was a recent problem with the drivers for "Intel Smart Sound" (i.e. motherboard build in sound chips) that would cause trouble for other sound devices. The drivers for that are listed under "System devices" and while the problem was occurring I'd see two instances of the "Intel Smart Sound" one of which with the yellow problem exclamation mark. Removing both and rebooting would let my normal sound drivers initialize properly and sound would return (at least until the next reboot, where the issue would reoccur, and I'd need to go through the remove driver/reboot process again).

Seems more recent updates have resolved the issue though.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 18 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ugh.

Windows 10 MediaCreationTool.exe version 10.0.10586.117 recognizes my USB drives without any problems and will happily create installation media.

MediaCreationTool.exe version 10.0.14393.0 on the exact same system stubbornly refuses to see any of the exact same drives.

What utter bollocks.

Reply 19 of 24, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like I will be staying with 7 for another year or two till MS sorts out this driver hell, I bet people are getting driver hell flash backs atm. Doesn't it make you want to reinstall windows already /grabs the nearest bottle of booze.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.