VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The standard files that come with sbiload sound absolutely TERRIBLE and I wish I could create replacement banks that uses The Fatman's patches he made for most games MIDI music.

Anybody here know about this stuff at all? It really sucks that I got my CMI's OPL3 to work under Linux only to be stuck with god awful patches that were made by someone who probably didn't know much about music.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OPLx, the user that started that DOS VGM player thread? I guess I'll send a PM to them then.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dead link and archive.org doesn't have it archived.

So now I'm going to be stuck hoping someone on this planet has a "adagio05.tar.bz2" file somewhere.

EDIT: Even the links for xfmedit are dead and Archive.org doesn't have it archived... What the hell.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 15, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

adagio05.tar.gz
Index of /packages/linux-tsx-11/packages/sound

And searching for xfmedit lead me to OplEdit, which according to the author is better than xfmedit. It also has thousands of sbi instrument patches on the webpage.
OplEdit

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 8 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend thankfully managed to find adiago05.tar.gz and I can confirm the .o3 and .sb files are identical to what I have currently, so I'm getting somewhere.

As for OplEdit it looks like it can only handle loading single instrument files, not banks? I'm just going off on the screenshots, I don't know if I can actually compile this thing properly or not.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 15, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've taken an interest in getting better sb/o3 patches for sbiload in Linux as well.

Unless a programmer can convert bnk or op3 banks into sbiload banks, then I believe the only way is to use Glib (console) or xgl (X11) from glib19f.tar.gz.

I've tried both glib and xgl running under Slackware 7.1 in QEMU but I find them difficult to use.

Glib uses h, j, k, and l to navigate, and J and K to increase/decrease the values.

xgl increases values with a click, but to decrease values, you have to right-click and go into a popup menu.

There is a way to change the keys in Glib specified in the source code, so that is what I plan to try next.

I'd like to use a, s, w, d to navigate, and + and - to change values.

Here's some screenshots of the 2 programs editing the 1st instrument in std.o3 and std.sb.

Glib and xgl have the same parameters as you'd see in SBTimbre but additionally have reverb and chorus.

Attachments

• xgl3.png
    Filename
    xgl3.png
    File size
    5.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    xgl 2 op
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • xgl2.png
    Filename
    xgl2.png
    File size
    6.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    xgl 4 op
    File license
  • xgl1.png
    Filename
    xgl1.png
    File size
    6.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Main screen of xgl
    File license
  • Filename
    glib3.png
    File size
    7.4 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Glib 2 op
    File license
  • Filename
    glib2.png
    File size
    7.68 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Glib 4 op
    File license

Reply 10 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That program would be amazing to have but first I\we need something that can read out the FatMan patches out so we can input them into .o3 files.

ADLMIDI has both a 2op and 4op bank that The FatMan has authored, but I'm not sure which file has what.

I also wonder if it's possible to just not use 4op at all and use only 2op because 4op mode reduces polyphony on the OPL3 rather alot making MIDI music sound very limited in voices.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to double post but does anybody know what Windows used for timbres when using a OPL card for MIDI music? Because it's essentially want I want to have on Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTyED5afqc

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 15, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I opened std.sb in a hex editor, and found that the file is just 128 sbi/op2 patches concatenated together.

So, you should be able to extract the sbi files from a bnk file with sbank.exe which is included in sbtimbre, and then combine the sbi files into 1 .sb file.

I don't have linux installed at the moment so I can't try yet to see if sbiload accepts the file. Glib and xgl open the file but the values are all wrong for ADSR, so I think GLib/xgl don't read the embedded sbi files properly.

The .sb file will be missing the adagio extended properties like chorus and reverb, and I haven't looked yet on how to replace the patches for drums.sb

Reply 13 of 15, by dusthillguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I've been playing around with a cheap PCI-e sound card with the CMI8738 chipset that includes OPL3, and I agree that the ALSA default patches aren't very good. It'd be good to replace them with better ones.
Did anyone make any progress with this?
If not, if someone posts a link to the FatMan patches I'll have a go at trying to convert them myself.

Reply 14 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dusthillguy wrote:
Hello, I've been playing around with a cheap PCI-e sound card with the CMI8738 chipset that includes OPL3, and I agree that the […]
Show full quote

Hello,
I've been playing around with a cheap PCI-e sound card with the CMI8738 chipset that includes OPL3, and I agree that the ALSA default patches aren't very good. It'd be good to replace them with better ones.
Did anyone make any progress with this?
If not, if someone posts a link to the FatMan patches I'll have a go at trying to convert them myself.

Yeah, the QT based OPL3BankEditor that Wohlstand was working on can finally write these out, so you can just have my SB files I made.

Filename
fatmanlinux.zip
File size
13.21 KiB
Downloads
84 downloads
File license

― Κυνικός Δράκων