VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vyothric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, partly because of Jade Falcon I've been getting back into Unreal Tournament.

However, using the only fully functional (small) mouse I had to play with was so uncomfortable that I had to stop playing because of hand/arm pain.

Many years ago I used to own a Razer Boomslang, which is my favourite mouse I've ever owned. Sadly they don't exist anymore. I replaced the Boomslang with a Microsoft Sidewinder which I also liked and used for several years. But it's completely worn out and....they don't sell that anymore either.

Finding something close to the size of these mice has been a problem. Almost everything I can find is either too short lengthwise, too high or too narrow. Apparently I stumbled into a future where there are only two exact ways to hold a mouse. All I'm seeing is "Palm vs Claw grip". I don't really hold the mouse in either of these ways - it's kind of like a cross between a claw grip and fingertip grip.

I'm looking for something that comes close to matching the dimensions of the Boomslang and Sidewinder:

Razer Boomslang: 13.3 x 7.6 x 3.2 cm
Sidewinder: 12.9 x 7.7 x 4 cm

Other than the size the only other thing I'm really bothered about is that I'd prefer an optical mouse with no acceleration rather than a laser one. As far as DPI goes, the Boomslang was 2100 and the Sidewinder 2000 and they were always good enough for me so it doesn't have to be too high. Just at least that high.

The only half-decent looking ones I've seen so far (that are either a bit too high, narrow or short lengthwise):

Steelseries Rival 700
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mionix Avior

Mastodon | YouTube

Reply 1 of 8, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My personal experience is with the Razer Deathadder Chroma. Both me and my wife use them for gaming and I find them quite sturdy. Also the feel of the buttons click is very nice (a crisp click with some nice push force feedback).

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 2 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a CM xornet myself and after about 1 week of teansitioning from an old usb 1 MS explorer I love it. 4 years now and hope it never dies

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 8, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to lust after those old Razer Boomslang mice back in the late 90s. I couldn't justify the price, so I never had one. Now, it's unlikely that I'll ever even try one because they're ball mice and I'm older, wiser, and much more spoiled.

Back around 2010, mwave.com was selling those OEM MS mice for $2.99 each. There were many deals with coupons where you could get them for 99-cents each, with free shipping. I bought a bunch of them, thinking they would be a potential replacement for the Logitech M-BJ58. I tried them and thought they were OK, but they weren't a worthy replacement for the mighty M-BJ58. I gave them away to co-workers and clients. I still don't regret it.

To me, the Logitech M-BJ58 and its iFeel variants are the best mice ever made. They last practically forever. I'm still using the same one I bought new in 2002. I'm becoming convinced that the only way to wear one out is to use it without a mousepad. Eventually, you'll wear down the nylon/teflon feet if you don't use a decent fabric mousepad. Even then, there are still guys on eBay selling replacement feet for these mice. Personally, the feet on mine are still OK after 14+ years on my crappy felt mousepad.

I also found this link about "overclocking" your mouse's polling rate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTEx_mY32s

Yeah, I haven't tried that. I haven't had a need to try it.

I also have a Logitech G300 that I thought would be great. It's a cool mouse with programmable buttons and LED lights, but it's still not as comfortable as the M-BJ58. I'll give it 2nd-place though. Bonus: still made, manufactured, and sold as the G300s.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2016-11-27, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still using my Microsoft sidewinder mouse. But i think when this one needs to be replaced i'm going to buy a mad catz rat mouse. Those are fully adjustable to you're hand.

Reply 7 of 8, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Logitech G502 on my modern gaming machine. A little flashy with the design in my opinion, but it's never given me any trouble. I've found the free-scrolling mouse wheel toggle as well as the DPI selector buttons very useful.

I've heard good things about Zowie mice. They are used quite a bit in the FPS "e-sports" scene. Never used one, but they seem a good option if you want a high quality no-frills mouse.

I'd stay away from Razer. As far as I've heard from numerous friends as well as other gaming communities, their quality control has taken a nosedive in recent years.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 8 of 8, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For anything mordern I go with newer Razer mice. For anything retro where the DPI of modern mice is too high I try to find Logitech gaming mice of the period or Microsoft Explorer type mice.