VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 91, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've backed up the contents of the CDR discs - surprisingly they were readable after 20 years. The Indy hard drives are next, but that will take longer because I can't just plug them into my PC. They're 50-pin SCSI and IRIX uses a proprietary file system, so I need to either back them up to another SGI machine or copy the files to my PC over the network via NFS, both of which will take time. Hoping to have it all finished this month.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 22 of 91, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you happen to find any promo screenshots for any of the games, would you mind sharing them? The Wayback Machine seems to have not archived any screenshots from Acclaim's website.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 23 of 91, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MAMEDev might be interested in anything arcade-related. Or console-related.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 24 of 91, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the kinda thread that makes Vogons tremendous and worthwhile.

That is quite a score you've acquired... I would hazard a guess that it could be worth a pretty penny to Howard Marks who bought the name and relaunched the company, post-bankruptcy, so far the newly reformed entity has 14 titles.

I didn't play too many Acclaim games growing up... only NBA Jam on console and later Alien 3 which was great, on PC. I would be in heaven if I randomly came across the old 'Delphine' or 'Sierra' computers. Having said, I would be curious to know what Alien 3 goodness is buried deep in the drives of those old computers.

Really is good stuff!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 25 of 91, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:

I would hazard a guess that it could be worth a pretty penny to Howard Marks who bought the name and relaunched the company, post-bankruptcy, so far the newly reformed entity has 14 titles.

The IP rights were auctioned off separately; if I'm not mistaken, that was also in 2004, when these computers went to the Brooklyn warehouse in the first place. It was big news at the time.
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.ph … ?t=46886&page=2

Reply 26 of 91, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First Acclaim game was Turok Rage Wars on N64.. bout 1998/1999?

Second was Armorines.. Actually have a copy of it for PS1... Tried it in an emulator with a PS4 controller, worked ok but, didn't look to good.

Reply 27 of 91, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to register an account at Assembler Games, but they won't allow me to use "SiliconClassics" because a certain string of three characters triggers their user name profanity filter.

Managed to connect each hard drive to a Linux box and use DD to create raw images - all but two of the drives were 100% readable. Next step is to remove all remaining user account passwords and boot each Indy with an external HDD attached to selectively back-up any interesting files. Between the drive images and the CDR backup discs there are about 45GB of data in total, but most of that probably consists of system & application files.

Posted a brief YouTube video a few days ago. Will upload another soon with highlights of the system contents. Quite a bit of it is mocap-related. Looks like several of these Indys were used to process mocap data at Acclaim's studio.

Last edited by SiliconClassics on 2017-01-12, 12:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 91, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:

I tried to register an account at Assembler Games, but they won't allow me to use "SiliconClassics" because a certain string of three characters triggers their user name profanity filter.

I'd message the mods on there about it. I mean, that swear filter must be really anal if it's reacting to the "ass" in "classic".

*ba dum tss* 🤣

But seriously, it's a dumb overreaction, and if the mods have a way to override it, then you'd have a good place to publish your findings.

Reply 30 of 91, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aaaannnnndddddd... I just found the complete source code to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter 😁

Turok Source.jpg
Filename
Turok Source.jpg
File size
320.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31 of 91, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not exactly a huge find unless it's a totally different earlier revision. Turok's source was legally found and used to help complete and iron out the kinks in the recent Turok port

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 32 of 91, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is amazing, getting better at every post. You have something very special in your hands, something that means nothing to many but is gold for few.
That youtube comment from the dev brings tears, I'm always touched by such stories. How on earth did he find the video right away? Was he searching for Turok videos on youtube every day? 😀 Unless he's a member here of course

Reply 33 of 91, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SiliconClassics wrote:

Aaaannnnndddddd... I just found the complete source code to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter 😁

Turok Source.jpg

Nice! I'm eager to see what other surprises will turn up 😀

Think you can compile it? And is there anything interesting to see like commented out remarks with extra bits of information that got removed when the source was compiled and such?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 35 of 91, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

This thread is amazing, getting better at every post. You have something very special in your hands, something that means nothing to many but is gold for few.
That youtube comment from the dev brings tears, I'm always touched by such stories. How on earth did he find the video right away? Was he searching for Turok videos on youtube every day? 😀 Unless he's a member here of course

It got posted on Reddit. 😉 https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5 … ode_discovered/

Reply 36 of 91, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! This is not going well though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvL-qb0YS4 😒
Selling them individually with teasers on the content is for sure a money-maker, but also a certain way of loosing content for ever. Of course this is only my perspective and no one has to share it (although people on Reddit used far harsher words), especially SiliconClassics.

I just hope that besides any public/legal approach, someday, somehow, when only "bad pirates" can be accused of it, a proper archive will surface 😉

Reply 37 of 91, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
[…]
Show full quote
int     CSprite::SetDirectDraw( LPDIRECTDRAW pSetDD )
{
m_stapDD = pSetDD;
return( 0 );
};

You're supposed to do m_stapDD->AddRef(); here, like this:

int     CSprite::SetDirectDraw( LPDIRECTDRAW pSetDD )
{
if (m_stapDD != NULL)
m_stapDD->Release();

m_stapDD = pSetDD;
m_stapDD->AddRef();

return( 0 );
};

and then add if (m_stapDD != NULL) m_stapDD->Release(); to the destructor.

Reply 39 of 91, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! This is not going well though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvL-qb0YS4 :blah: Selling them indiv […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! This is not going well though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvL-qb0YS4 😒
Selling them individually with teasers on the content is for sure a money-maker, but also a certain way of loosing content for ever. Of course this is only my perspective and no one has to share it (although people on Reddit used far harsher words), especially SiliconClassics.

I just hope that besides any public/legal approach, someday, somehow, when only "bad pirates" can be accused of it, a proper archive will surface 😉

The content on these systems is too valuable to let rot in a collection, IMO. I would hand these systems over to the Internet Archive so that their information can be properly preserved.