Common searches

If you fold paper... (wow!)

Topic actions

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just thought that this was interesting, you might not agree. You know how you can't fold a piece of paper in half more than seven times? If you don't know this, then try it, no matter how big or small the paper, fold it in half, then (without unfolding it, obviously) fold it in half again, then again, and so on, each time the surface area of the paper is being halved since you're folding the paper over itself. And after seven folds you can't fold it any more.

I was reading the book Q.I. General Ignorance - The Noticeably Stouter Edition (based on the great TV series)

"If it were possible to fold a very large piece of paper of standard thickness without restriction, because the thickness of the paper would double each time it was folded, after just fifty-one folds you would have a tower of paper more than 100 million miles high – tall enough to reach from here to the sun."

which amazed me, so I wondered if it were true. And it is (I've checked several other amazing facts from Q.I. and they've always turned out to be true). If you say that a sheet of paper is 1 millimetre thick (which it isn't, of course, but it keeps the maths simple), then the first fold of paper makes the paper 2mm thick. Then raise the 2 by 50 (two to the power of fifty) to simulate the other fifty folds, and you get (thanks to the Windows calculator)

1,125,899,906,842,624 millimetres. That works out to

699,601,767 miles (thanks to Google converter). 699 million miles! Even if the paper is only one fifth of a millimetre thick, then if you fold it fifty-one times you'd get 138 million miles high!

Reply 1 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote:

fold it in half, then (without unfolding it, obviously) fold it in half again, then again

Reminded me of this https://youtu.be/9VDvgL58h_Y?t=4m26s
🤣

Btw, it's easier to cut it before stacking the paper sheets on top of eachother.
And btw, paper makes for some excellent microweights as it's easy to cut it till you have weights of like 10 milligrams and below 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 20, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Yes, the Q.I. book did say that Mythbusters had done eleven, using an industrial tarmac roller and a fork lift truck, but I didn't want to type in the whole page (lazy me!).

Reply 4 of 20, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My grandfather was really huge into math he once told me a story when I was little of a golfer/gambler who would go golfing and start out betting a dollar on who won the first hole and then go double or nothing the full 18 holes and by the end of the game he would have won over $130,000.

He also once told me he could get 0 to equal 1. He then went on a very convoluted math problem. The formula does break a fundamental rule of math however that might be hard to identify for some. I only bring this up because it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this because these were both things my grandfather taught me at a young age and are among the best memories I have of him.

x = y.
Then x2 = xy.
Subtract the same thing from both sides:
x2 - y2 = xy - y2.
Dividing by (x-y), obtain
x + y = y.
Since x = y, we see that
2 y = y.
Thus 2 = 1, since we started with y nonzero.
Subtracting 1 from both sides,
1 = 0.

Reply 5 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:
My grandfather was really huge into math he once told me a story when I was little of a golfer/gambler who would go golfing and […]
Show full quote

My grandfather was really huge into math he once told me a story when I was little of a golfer/gambler who would go golfing and start out betting a dollar on who won the first hole and then go double or nothing the full 18 holes and by the end of the game he would have won over $130,000.

He also once told me he could get 0 to equal 1. He then went on a very convoluted math problem. The formula does break a fundamental rule of math however that might be hard to identify for some. I only bring this up because it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this because these were both things my grandfather taught me at a young age and are among the best memories I have of him.

x = y.
Then x2 = xy.
x2 - y2 = xy - y2.
x + y = y.
Since x = y, we see that
2 y = y.
1 = 0.

Nope, or you've misremembered...
x2 = xy, should be xx = xy
...but then none of the rest of this works out.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 6 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:
My grandfather was really huge into math he once told me a story when I was little of a golfer/gambler who would go golfing and […]
Show full quote

x = y.
Then x2 = xy.
x2 - y2 = xy - y2.
x + y = y.
Since x = y, we see that
2 y = y.
1 = 0.

Reminds me of something years ago when I proved to someone in a similar fashion that 0 * ∞ == 1, 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Reminds me of something years ago when I proved to someone in a similar fashion that 0 * ∞ == 1

That almost sounds like one of those non-intuitive technical definitions, like 0! = 1. I've never liked that.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a mathematical identity which is non-intuitive but completely true.

sum [ 9 * 10 ^ -j ], j=1->infinity == 1

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Doesn't seem to make any sense? Maybe I'm missing something, my math skillz have rusted in the course of many years now and they were never extremely good to begin with 😊

Btw, the point with my formula was more that anything * ∞ == ∞ and anything * 0 == 0. And the most universal number there is, is 1.

Btw I know that it's not as simple as ∞ * 0 == 1, I always thought that it also depended on the amount of how fast infinity approached infinity (hard to tell this when it comes to 0 though).

But tbh, I never was that good at maths, I was more being creative and that's how I passed 🤣

Vogons... Very Original Gestures About Nonsensing Science 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Well, essentially 0.999.... == 1

Ow doh 🤣, I got confused by that arrow 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 20, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Btw, the point with my formula was more that anything * ∞ == ∞ and anything * 0 == 0. And the most universal number there is, is […]
Show full quote

Btw, the point with my formula was more that anything * ∞ == ∞ and anything * 0 == 0. And the most universal number there is, is 1.

Btw I know that it's not as simple as ∞ * 0 == 1, I always thought that it also depended on the amount of how fast infinity approached infinity (hard to tell this when it comes to 0 though).

But tbh, I never was that good at maths, I was more being creative and that's how I passed 🤣

Not all infinities are the same. Some are larger than others, much larger. I recommend watching this video. In the beginning he talks about a variety of types of infinity. Although you can watch it all, the Banach-Tarski paradox is pretty awesome and Vsauce videos are very good.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 15 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladstamate wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Btw, the point with my formula was more that anything * ∞ == ∞ and anything * 0 == 0. And the most universal number there is, is […]
Show full quote

Not all infinities are the same. Some are larger than others, much larger. I recommend watching this video. In the beginning he talks about a variety of types of infinity. Although you can watch it all, the Banach-Tarski paradox is pretty awesome and Vsauce videos are very good.

True. I know what you're talking about.
Would be interesting if 0 worked the same way.
I've gone past my maths obsession though so I kinda got out of it.

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 20, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

1/3 = 0.33333....
1/3 * 3 = 0.33333... * 3
1 = 0.99999...

It's so simple, yet so counter-intuitive. I love these types of things! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 17 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
1/3 = 0.33333.... 1/3 * 3 = 0.33333... * 3 1 = 0.99999... […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

1/3 = 0.33333....
1/3 * 3 = 0.33333... * 3
1 = 0.99999...

It's so simple, yet so counter-intuitive. I love these types of things! 😀

Alternately, you can show that the difference is 0.000...

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 20, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you try to fold a paper more than 7 times using many tonnes of assistance, it explodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuG_CeEZV6w

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 19 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exploding paper, now I've seen it all 🤣!

Report spammers here!