User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
We have a thread about this somewhere. […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

My dream gadget is a CD/DVD drive emulator, like a GOTEK.

Connect to IDE, takes a 2.5" SATA drive, little LCD display at the front displaying the ISO / BIN-CUE image and some buttons to cycle through the images.

We have a thread about this somewhere.

Enclosures with this feature already somewhat exist and work alright in Windows.
http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=212

I believe the major failing is that most can't do mixed mode images.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Under Windows we're covered with virtual drive software, but AFAIK there is nothing for DOS beyond mounting ISO only discs with certain drives from FreeDOS project.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 32, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Anyone else got idea on what computer related items that should exist that could be convenient for you?

There's a thread like this somewhere too, perhaps in Marvin, so if it gets found don't get offended if this gets merged later. 😀

Its all good.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 23 of 32, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the days of Apple II, there was a Z-80 card so CP/M programs could be run. I think these sorts of things are rather niche.

Reply 24 of 32, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were 486, Pentium, K6 and Athlon cards for Sun workstations to run DOS apps, too (and some Win3.x and Win9x apps, and some folks managed to get Windows NT working on them, IIRC). There were also some 486 cards for Acorns with similar purposes, and there might have been some for Macs. While emulation, virtualization and standardization on ARM and AMD64 make these very niche now, I could see some use for "legacy coprocessor" cards to run old stuff on new hardware.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 25 of 32, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why was there never a slocket adapter for the slot A platform?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 26 of 32, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

I asked that on different site. The tread got closed by an admin before getting answered.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-07-02, 22:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 32, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the subject on non-existent CPU socket adapters, I'd find a Socket M/P to LGA775 adapter interesting because then I'd be able to use my spare T7300 CPU on my Dell GX520 desktop (BTW: Socket 478 to LGA775 adapters exist for Pentium 4 processors in case you thought this was impossible).

Personally, I think a 12-inch 800x600 LCD monitor is worth mentioning because those would be killer for older machines limited to that resolution (such as a Performa 6200CD or an old 486), too bad they're impossible to find, maybe one could be made out of an old laptop LCD panel?

Also, an AMD Athlon XP (K7) CPU with SSE2 would be nice but it's too bad those were never made.

Reply 28 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

This is actually a very good question. I've wondered about this myself, but never bothered to seek out an answer as I don't have any Slot A boards to begin with.

Jade Falcon wrote:
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

I asked that on different site. The tread got closed by an admin before getting answered yes

Why?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 29 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect part of the reason why slotkets happened was because there wasn't an Intel based replacement for 440bx motherboards for the better part of a year. That situation never happened with AMD.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30 of 32, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

A 486 ATX board with AGP slot that's electronically a PCI slot.

Intrigued, may I ask why you would combine those two? Can you theoretically run an AGP card using only the PCI bus and perhaps some external power? Does such adapter exist or could it be made?

I guess you'd want to add SDRAM to that mobo aswell 😀

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 31 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeafPK wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

A 486 ATX board with AGP slot that's electronically a PCI slot.

Intrigued, may I ask why you would combine those two? Can you theoretically run an AGP card using only the PCI bus and perhaps some external power? Does such adapter exist or could it be made?

I guess you'd want to add SDRAM to that mobo aswell 😀

There was "AGP" slots like AGP Express and AGI, so I guess in theory it could. But there's a LOT of stuff that could be done in theory...but cannot or will not for a diverse set of reasons.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 32, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

I asked that on different site. The tread got closed by an admin before getting answered.

Why?

He thought it was dumb question. 😵