VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What games did you used to play that were free back in the day?

In the early 2000s I'd play a lot of stuff from freearcade.com addictiggames, shockwave, (shockmachine!)... Many downloads from GameHippo.

Stuff like DX-Ball, N, Icy Tower, Soldat, Stick Soldiers, Tetripz, Crystal Stacker, Sega Swirl, Tin Elvis (not really a game but), Porrasturvat Stair Dismount, a ton of Tetris and breakout clones, etc.

Last edited by oeuvre on 2017-05-17, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played many games I found at caiman.us . Sonic Robo Blast 2, Cave Story, many puzzle games, etc.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first ones that come to mind are Akuji the Demon and Guardian of Paradise. Nifty little short games; I heard the developer's website recently went down for ambiguous reasons.

I was hugely impressed by The Spirit Engine; it's such a fresh take on the console RPG. It was all the more impressive back in those days when it seemed like everyone wanted to make an RPG and would release a crappy demo and then give up. I never played the sequel, sadly. The developer also released Super Stun-N-Run, which is kind of neat.

I never played Eternal Daughter, though there were tons of fans of that one.

And there's all the shooters from ABA Games: TUMKI Fighters, rRootage, and noiz2sa, and their imitators, Warning Forever and Every Extend.

Reply 4 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't play it back in the day, but it's been around since 2003: The Battle for Wesnoth

A couple of years ago I played this game like crazy, getting through the first few campaigns. Extremely addicting turn-based strategy in a High Fantasy setting.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

A lot of old web java games are no longer playable in modern browsers for security reasons.

Javanoid, Wicky Woo, that Jet game where you fly past color changing mountains, ah fun times.

Forgot about caiman, that was a great resource. Apparently still quite active http://www.caiman.us/

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually Caiman is quite dead and broken (since 2009) and it has very strange objectivity to what is considered 'quality' there (plus some warez snuck through in the past). Treat it as a guilty pleasure ghetto at best.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably my favorite Java game was Doug The Duck vs UFO from UsedStar. It actually had some pretty neat mechanics and I'm a little surprised that it never got remade; it was relatively straightforward. (Actually, it was quite easy to get yourself into an unwinnable situation that the game would not recognize.)

Reply 10 of 13, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.champ-em.com/I've always liked the Champ Games. Really nice versions of the classic arcades games. They are all free for download from the link.
Asterocks and Galagon are my two favorites, shame the burgertime and Frogger games were never finished. Guess this shows my age as the originals are what i played in arcades as a kid!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 13 of 13, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

I didn't play it back in the day, but it's been around since 2003: The Battle for Wesnoth

A couple of years ago I played this game like crazy, getting through the first few campaigns. Extremely addicting turn-based strategy in a High Fantasy setting.

I was really addicted to this one for a while, but my OCD kept me savescumming and playing turns over and over to get the results I wanted. I was playing it with a Fire Emblem type mentality where I was trying not to lose any units. It has some good things going for it, but it would be better if it weren't so RNG driven.