VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 53, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First game I played was way back in 1977/78 it was sea wolf the arcade game. First home game was PONG on a orange and brown binatone machine that came free with our first colour TV!, think that was 1980.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 22 of 53, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't remember if it was really the first one, but my earliest memory would be Super Mario bros. on my uncles famiclone. Still have it! 😎 (insides are all rusted tho, thing is from ~1993)

zhiliton.jpg
Filename
zhiliton.jpg
File size
284.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 23 of 53, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
zhiliton.jpg

what the hell is that...?

Is that seriously a NES clone disguised as a cheap knock off Sega MegaDrive\Genesis?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 24 of 53, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Is that seriously a NES clone disguised as a cheap knock off Sega MegaDrive\Genesis?

Yup.
And in case you're wondering, the "phones" knob isn't actually connected to anything 🤣

Famiclones were a big thing in post-soviet countries all the way to the mid 90s. Zhiliton brand was the biggest one where I live, to the point where any NES hardware is simply referred to as "Zhiliton".

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26 of 53, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oscar the Otter on Apple ][. I have never found it or any information on it since (it's some kind of kids edutainment game).

Edit: of course, I say that, then found it on archive.org https://archive.org/details/Oscar_the_Otter

Reply 27 of 53, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmmm, earliest memory is of a home console Pong of some kind, I only remember the screen, a tiny little portable AC-powered TV we had.

Next earliest memory is of sitting on a stool to play either Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe at a local pizza place. If it was at release, I would have only been two and a half, so it must have been a few years after release.

Not necessarily in that order, these memories are pretty fuzzy.

I have clearer memories of playing educational and entertainment games on our Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 53, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Leisure suit Larry 1 😁 -- don't quite remember the system, but most likely an IBM PS2(386), waay back in 1988 I think.
(some pirated stuff I accidentally found installed on a random PC in the college computer lab while trying to do some school work --- as I didn't yet own a PC myself for many many years to come...)

Reply 29 of 53, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be Alley Cat on Hyundai Super 16 TE or Pippo on the ZX Spectrum, really fond memories of both 😊

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 30 of 53, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

First home game was PONG on a orange and brown binatone machine that came free with our first colour TV!, think that was 1980.

+1 to the Binatone, though we had the all brown one (Mk IV?) and the orange one came a bit later IIRC. I have a couple of these, in fact last night was researching how to mod them to get RCA output, as my TVs won't tune to them. Didnt have the light gun as a little kid... ho ho ho now I have a light gun
First game on a computer was probably something on the BBCs at school, vaguely recall a game flying through a cavern, or Granny's Garden. First game at home was Taxman on Apple II, and Gato on IBM PC at a friend's house.

Reply 31 of 53, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easy question, the first ever game I played was Guimo on I think a Windows 95 (or 98) PC.
I'll never forget that game, it was super fast and at the time I was 2 or 3.

Afterwards I spent my childhood with Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and classic Apogee games until I was 4 (1999), when I got my first ever console: a famiclone transparent yellow PolyStation with hundreds of NES games (mostly the same games with different levels as first level), so I COULD say that I also grew up with NES games, but while it's true, I don't quite feel it to be true since I never had a real NES (not even currently, but one day... I shall...)

Anyway, yeah, the first ever game I played was Guimo on Windows 95 (or 98, can't really remember) in probably late 1997 when I was 2.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 32 of 53, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure it would be Space Invaders in a Taito coin-operated cabinet in my college common room. 1979? Followed shortly after by Asteroids, Defender, Pleiades, Phoenix and a side-scrolling game with a rocket going through tunnels that I cannot remember the name of. All coin-operated machines in pubs.

Reply 33 of 53, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

land a side-scrolling game with a rocket going through tunnels that I cannot remember the name of. All coin-operated machines in pubs.

Tunnel Run ?

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 36 of 53, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the earliest game I might have played was the arcade racing game with wheel, when I can barely look at the screen while standing. This game is a monochrome green, with top down perspective, with green F1-like cars and green road outline. I couldn't remember the name.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 37 of 53, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The earliest memories I have of video games are Pac-Man on my cousin's Atari and Pole Position in the arcade. The first video game I owned however was Super Mario Bros. 3 when my parents got me an NES Challenge Set (I didn't have any other computers/consoles up to that point, but most of my friends had NES/C64/Spectrum so I was already "addicted").

Reply 38 of 53, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure it was "The Black Bass" for the NES. At least, it's the earliest game I can remember getting brand new from the store. Probably circa 1987.

hqdefault.jpg

I still play it sometimes 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 39 of 53, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, My first games were for the Sega Master System. Both being Rambo III and Hang-On. Rambo III required the Light Phaser!

800px-SMS-Light-Phaser.jpg
Filename
800px-SMS-Light-Phaser.jpg
File size
30.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What a beauty! 😎

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME