VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you play games in its original or your native language?

Reply 1 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Original for me (assuming it's English) because things are always lost in translation.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on the language. If I really want to play a game and the original language is a complete stranger to me, then obviously no-no. But if the original language is one I speak then I go for it.

Reply 5 of 15, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the original language for a game was Dutch or English, I prefer the original language. If a game originally wasn't in either of those languages, I prefer an English translation.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 6 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Original (mostly English or perhaps German. I know of only one game that had Dutch spoken language, LED wars) but I do prefer at least English subtitles and GUI. English GUI is easier to find online information about, in case I ever need so.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 15, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

English, or original if i understand it, but i guess that will be the anser of most Dutch people, since tv shows are always in they're native languages, with subtitles. I hate watching original English spoke shows on German tv, because in Germany they all get dubbed.
That said i learned German by watching tv programs on German tv. It did take me a while before i knew that Bud Spencer and Terance Hill weren't German 😀

Reply 8 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Original. Also applies to films. When I watch non-English language movies, I always prefer original language with English subtitles than English dub.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If available, I play games in English, since most of the translations into Russian are more or less lacking something compared to the original. I even use the English version of Windows due to the same reason.

A well-known example is from GTA, where software pirates translated 'WASTED' into a Russian word meaning 'spent', and so it became a meme:

spent.jpg

For native-made games I play Russian versions, same reason: translations into English are lacking. It's humour that suffers the most, since English and Russian well-estabilished funny phrases often differ and it's often impossible to translate them without losing something in the way.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 11 of 15, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

Do you play games in its original or your native language?

If the original language is English, I play in English (with English subtitles on, if available).
If the original language is Polish I play in Polish, which is my native language.
Once I tried playing in Japanese, but my level of understanding was quite low.
I never played anything in Russian, but I could manage that.

Otherwise, I'd choose English.

One exception is World of Tanks, where I like the "original voices" option (meaning that German soldiers speak German etc.)

Reply 12 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm always curious about other languages.. ^_^
Sometimes I play games in my native language, sometimes in English.
Depending on the setting or kind of game, I choose English over my own language from time to time.
Especially if that game involves some cheesy sayings from the 80s/90s (in my language).
The origin of the game (or book) is also important to me.
Or let's put it that way: I think I would prefer to read a classic novel like Alice in Wonderland in English first.
If it comes to films, I do at least try to watch them a bit in the original language along with sub titles.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 15, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey i even use programs in English, even may titles are in Estonian.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 15 of 15, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Native for some things, original for others. (Except if it is not in English)

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)