Reply 20 of 30, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
inondesia wrote on 2020-12-08, 08:11:
yo man you still alive n kickin! thanks for replying. […]
Show full quote

yo man you still alive n kickin! thanks for replying.

i already install nusb package but it didnt work. only one driver missing. its the PCI COMMUNICATION DEVICE driver. i try looking for it in the internet right now. do you know anything about it?

*i'll burn installation cd as a last resort. already downloaded the iso from winworld.

btw my rig is my brother old pentium 2 rig with no internet card and a broken old mouse. so CD drive is the only gateway in. i bought this cheap unknown brand pci usb card to make things happen. its turn out, nothing happened. yet. 😁

Did you not install the latest Intel chipset drivers as soon as you as you got to the desktop? Also, what chip is on that PCI USB card? NEC, VIA?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 21 of 30, by inondesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you not install the latest Intel chipset drivers as soon as you as you got to the desktop? Also, what chip is on that PCI USB card? NEC, VIA?
[/quote]

hola man, thanks for replying again. intel chipset driver? i have not. thanks for the advice.

its NEC chip. i have photos of them.

IMG20201214132305.jpg
Filename
IMG20201214132305.jpg
File size
116.87 KiB
Views
File comment
its nec pci usb card.
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG20201214132441.jpg
Filename
IMG20201214132441.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File comment
found some modems on other pc. haven't try it tho.
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG20201214170248.jpg
Filename
IMG20201214170248.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File comment
tryin my old xp harddisk on this pc. lol its slow like snail. gave up on xp.
File license
CC-BY-4.0

btw, the usb somehow has worked. it read flash drive, no problem. and usb mouse, with a help from installing driver from REMOVED win98se cd (which i copied them to a flash drive).

and bcoz of that, here's my brother pc spec by cpu - z :
l o l its a long copy paste, so i attach a txt file instead

Filename
WISNU.txt
File size
22.87 KiB
Downloads
86 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

thanks man. next i planned to get all the driver as you suggested.

but for now, i wanna ask you more,
1. from my txt file spec, i'm not sure, is it usb 1.1 or 2.0 that i have in my system?
2. it connect to usb flash drive no problem. but when i connect it to smartphone cable data, it can't do data transfer. only charging.
3. this is the most important, can you play mp4 video file on this system??? i have tried MPlayer Ringo, haihasoft universal player, k-lite won't install, haven't try vlc tho. does a pentium 2 win98se pc capable playing mp4 video file?

i'm trying hard to find reference on google. but if you do know, please answer hehe thanks.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-05-07, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 30, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
inondesia wrote on 2020-12-19, 07:41:

1. from my txt file spec, i'm not sure, is it usb 1.1 or 2.0 that i have in my system?

If we are talking about Slot 1, the motherboard will have USB 1 ports, but that NEC card is USB 2.

2. it connect to usb flash drive no problem. but when i connect it to smartphone cable data, it can't do data transfer. only charging.

First, if you are on Android (I don't know about Apple), you need to enable Developer Mode, and then enable USB Debugging. Then you plug in your phone, select "file transfer" from the notification's menu, and then Windows will see your phone and any expandable storage for you to access.
Second of all, this only works on Vista and newer. Just tested this under XP and Vista. Didn't work on the former, worked on the later, although apparently Vista is still missing drivers, so be warned.

3. this is the most important, can you play mp4 video file on this system??? i have tried MPlayer Ringo, haihasoft universal player, k-lite won't install, haven't try vlc tho. does a pentium 2 win98se pc capable playing mp4 video file?

Tested an MP4 under 98SE with WMP9. Doesn't recognize it. You can try VLC, if there's a version for 9x.

I like helping people, but I think it's best if you have any other questions either DM me or start a new thread. Thanks.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 23 of 30, by inondesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes i think my motherboard only support usb 1.1.

i already tried usb debugging and it didn't worked.

vlc 08.2 is just like the already installed winamp on the pc, only sounds/audio comes out. no video.

okay man thanks alot. if i have any other questions or update, i'll be dm you or start a new thread. cheers.

Reply 24 of 30, by guest_2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I've also downloaded nusb36e.exe in preparation for using a 'Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card 4 Int / 1 Ext Ports' on my Win98SE machine

Update - I got the NEC card 'Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card' installed and working great in Windows 98 SE. However it causes issues when booting into pure DOS and stop anything launching. I just get a black flashing cursor and nothing else.
Removing the card resolves the problem. There are no IRQ conflicts but the card is not working right with something in DOS. Windows 98 SE, all good for me and transfer speed of a 700MB ISO is down from about 12 minutes to less than a minute

Reply 26 of 30, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am waiting for my Caboose shaped NEC USB2 card thing from eBay its about the only USB2 card left so thanks for this.
The dark circuit board is not common so it should be interesting.

Attachments

• LOLOL.jpg
    Filename
    LOLOL.jpg
    File size
    10.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    is this a Caboose
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • lols-l500.jpg
    Filename
    lols-l500.jpg
    File size
    15.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    is this a usb2 CARD
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 27 of 30, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently get a NEC USB 2.0 PCI adapter , and installed the driver successfully. The device manager shows “NEC uPD720010 USB 2.0 enhanced host controller“ and a “ USB 2.0 Root hub“, but the copy speed is still around 2MB/s via a 2.0 disk, don't know why.🤣

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 28 of 30, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
crazii wrote on 2021-12-10, 22:09:

I recently get a NEC USB 2.0 PCI adapter , and installed the driver successfully. The device manager shows “NEC uPD720010 USB 2.0 enhanced host controller“ and a “ USB 2.0 Root hub“, but the copy speed is still around 2MB/s via a 2.0 disk, don't know why.🤣

Hmm, Kingston? Those things tend to have atrocious write speeds for some reason. Just out of curiosity, what system do you have?

Reply 29 of 30, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2021-12-15, 00:02:
crazii wrote on 2021-12-10, 22:09:

Hmm, Kingston? Those things tend to have atrocious write speeds for some reason. Just out of curiosity, what system do you have?

Not Kingston, some cheapass brand that don't have a vendor and device id in the device manager. But I've tested it with a cardbus adapter on a laptop and the speed is ok. My rig is a 815EP mobo with tualatin, and 2MB/s is read speed 🤣.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 30 of 30, by Kaisersoze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So far i could install without issues the NEC 2.0 usb controller on win98 following the first post guide. BUT apparently.
Indeed, when i try to plug an usb 2.0 external hdd ( a seagate usb 2.0 1 tb, perfectly working on other machines ), it goes on but in windows explorer i can't get any drive access ( nor an icon witnessing his presence ), and this weird matter in confirmed by the fact that my external storage doesn't get any drive letter even when i select it for unplugging on the safe removal tool window.

Edit: what a dumb...i forgot that my seagate was formatted in NTFS way, and probably thus with the 1 tb size could be the reasons for what is happened.
Let's go checking with a 120gb exFAT formatted, not self-powered...

Edit 2.0: got the card working, i can read from any fat32 formatted storage ( penstick, external Hds ), but every time i try to use a file ( mounting images, opening installer files, ec... ) i got a blast of error messages and bsod.
I'm thinking of giving up about these devices...