VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grab some coffee or an alcoholic beverage of your choosing. It’s gonna be a long one. Mods, feel free to move this wherever!

As some of you know, I recently won a lot (http://www.ebay.com/itm/222749027990) containing the uber-rare Cyrix 5x86 133/4x as well as a bunch of other miscellaneous processors. This one’s been on my ‘want list’ for quite some time and I knew that I would be spending a small fortune on one given its rarity. Long story short, I won the auction for $1,500 USD and my excitement was through the roof… but the excitement was short-lived…

Part 1: The Anticipation
I waited for about two weeks for the item to arrive from France, during which time I contacted the seller to ask some questions about the processor. He was very responsive and indicated he acquired the processor over 10 years ago and that he very rarely used it, again due to its rarity and value to collectors. My excitement grew knowing that this seller must have really taken care of this processor.

Part 2: The Arrival
I grabbed the box from the post office and it was one of the most well-packed large items I’ve ever come across since I started collecting. The tower was double-boxed and thick insulating foam was wrapped tightly around the computer, and then wrapped again with some industrial-grade packing materials and bubble wrap. After about 15 minutes I finally had everything unwrapped and the case was in perfect condition, surviving the trip overseas. I snapped some pictures of the tower and with a nervous breath, started working my way into the case. Once opened, everything was still looking great! The processor was covered with a fan and heatsink which I removed, and then I cleaned off some thermal paste to review the beautiful ceramic top of the processor which was in near pristine condition. Like I do with all of my processors, I decided to remove it to take some pictures to share here on VOGONS… and this is the point where things went terribly wrong.

Part 3: The Excitement -> The Horror -> The Panic
After raising the arm of the ZIF socket, I started to pull straight upward on the processor to lift it out. I immediately noticed that the processor was not coming out after it was released, almost as if it was ‘stuck’ in the socket. I pulled out my glasses-repair flat head and gently pried upward on each side until the processor finally released. Upon turning the processor over, I realized something was terribly wrong and my excitement turned to a feeling of dread. At least 4 pins were missing & presumably stuck in the socket, 2 more pins were so loose and flimsy that they fell off in my hand and many of the remaining pins were bent. There was some visible charring and signs of attempted soldering as well (see pictures).

hVNxxD.jpg6cErWu.jpgsQx7zw.jpgdW5oRE.jpgc0ODbp.jpgeFfFix.jpgkhyqdW.jpgpbQRz3.jpg

Part 4: The Battle
His listing (shown here), showed pictures of the processor sitting in the Shuttle HOT 433 motherboard socket nestled within the tower case. The listing never showed the underside (pin side) of the processor. I immediately contacted him through eBay and explained that this processor must have been originally forced into the socket without first straightening the pins. Locking the processor in place surely weakened the already fragile pins. The sellers response (he must have used Google Translate)
lLyVqi.jpgdqoowD.jpgdleXch.jpg

“Hello, it's been at least 10 years that the motherboard and this processor are together, I bought in this state there to the old owner with this dark trace of memory, there was no deffectueuse pin, they were all in place, the processor has never been removed from the socket since my first start up to this auction, because it was for me a rare collection piece so to pamper and take care, (I had other pc 486 for games - test for fun) all photos taken are from 8 - 9 December 2017 and the photo his last post bios boot pc (photo 6) before the sale., I did my best to protect parcels, but at the transport vibration level I can not do anything”

Now I know this is complete BS as there is no way this level of damage to a processor could occur during shipment. I told the seller that his listing was dishonest, and a general misrepresentation of the item condition and that I would be filing a dispute. I asked that I be reimbursed for some of the cost – knowing the brunt of the $$$ I paid was for that processor alone (and I wouldn’t have bid on the lot if this processor wasn’t included). I did not get a response so I opened a PayPal dispute selecting the “Item not as described” reason. The seller then contacted me asking if he could reimburse me 500 USD which I felt wasn’t enough and so I declined, telling him I’d accept $700 (shame on me). After providing PayPal with the details, PayPal decided to rule in favor of the seller and closed the dispute:

“After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time. The item is not in the same condition as when you received it.”

I almost spit out my coffee upon receiving this notification. I immediately contacted PayPal again and decided to appeal, providing additional context for how this item was not as described. I went into plenty of detail describing how processors are removed from motherboards all the time, and that anyone who removed this would be in the same situation. I also explained that I removed the item to check for damage, just as any other buyer would check their item for damage upon receiving the item. But even after this appeal, I got the same prepackaged, canned response.

We understand that the item associated with this claim has been altered while in your possession. Because of this, we are unable […]
Show full quote

We understand that the item associated with this claim has been altered while in your possession. Because of this, we are unable to determine whether the item is significantly different than originally described, and we are unable to grant your claim.

If you should need to file a claim on a future transaction, please keep the item in its original condition until a decision in the case has been reached. Proceeding with repairs or alterations before the case is decided will limit our ability to successfully resolve your claim, and may result in the cancellation of your claim.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused and encourage you to work with the seller toward a mutual resolution.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

I was beside myself and again contacted PayPal and asked about Buyer protection, etc. but they said there was nothing more they could do. I also tried filing through eBay but since I filed a claim through PayPal, PayPal basically blocked me from filing a claim through eBay. I reached out to the seller again but since the disputer (and now the appeal) was closed, the seller probably saw no reason to respond to me.
pFSFBI.jpg

Part 5: A Helping Hand
In the meantime I reached out the only person I know with one of these processors, and someone who has been a great help to myself and others on VOGONS due to his extensive contributions to the site and overall wealth of engineering-related knowledge. Of course I’m talking about the one and only - Feipoa. I explained the situation and he immediately recognized that the processor came from a scrap lot that was purchased years ago, which explains the bent pins and crappy soldering work. While I love collecting these relics and have decent (enough) technical knowledge to put these old systems together, I know my limits and I certainly don’t have the steady hands, patience or knowledge to tackle a repair project like the one that was needed for this processor.

So.. I asked the question. If I shipped my Biostar MB-8433UUD Socket 3 motherboard and processor to him, could he attempt a repair to bring this processor back to life and accept payment for the work? Without ANY hesitation, Feipoa replied that he could attempt the work and that no payment would be necessary. He asked that I buy a few PGA168 sockets, provide a donor processor (for the pins) and pay for shipment to him. After receiving everything, he immediately took time out of his busy personal and professional life and dug in 100%, providing multiple updates each day complete with pictures (and videos!) of his progress. He determined that his own PGA sockets were more durable and asked if he could use his instead. He also modded the board to run at the desired 3.7V and provided an EEPROM with a newer BIOS that increases overall performance. He cleaned it, straightened the pins, scanned it, soldered on the pins and ran several stability loops. He literally got this done in 2 days, spending hours meticulously caring for this processor… and I’m beside myself again (this time in a positive way!). He opened up my shipment on 01/26 and on 01/28 I see a VOGONS message titled “Cyrix 5x86-133 works” …. and I sighed with relief. This processor has literally risen from the dead and is now a fully-functioning 5x86 133/4x sitting in a nice & solid socket.

PvGNzj.jpgfLxF7Y.jpgf2klB4.jpg4Qv7Ph.jpgtVwlS8.jpg
6gSasx.jpg

Part 6: What VOGONS is all about
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – this community is what it’s all about and what keeps me returning to VOGONS. Nowhere else could I find someone who would appreciate this processor for what it is, and who would be willing to make time to help out a complete stranger (outside of VOGONS that is) in need – all for no monetary amount whatsoever. This place is absolutely essential for enthusiasts, collectors and basically anyone who is into the retro scene. Not all of us have the same technical skillset, knowledge/education or background, but we all have the same passion about the retro goodies we love, and attach value to – whether it’s purely nostalgic or monetary.

Feipoa, you are one class act I cannot thank you enough for what you’ve done. What a great story this has become!

All My Best,
Artex

Last edited by Artex on 2018-01-30, 02:03. Edited 7 times in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 85, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great to see it's a happy ending after all 😀

I'm always amazed to see the skills some people have with soldering and hardware repairs/mods.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Feipoa, very well done! 😁

I'm very interested in how the repair was done, and that in a mere 2 days! Amazing!

Nice story, looking forward to the pics 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 85, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!
And shame on that seller for scamming people, I didn't expect more from paypal/ebay tbh...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the important thing now is that it works! Right? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Artex, do you want to post the photos and videos in the OP? I'll just toss in a few right now to ease the suspense. I must have sent 3 dozen during the repair. If you took photos of how the chip looked when you received it, that would be nice to see. I couldn't believe that the previous owner could even have jammed this into a ZIF with how bend up the pins were. I spent 1-2 hours just straightening the non-broken pins. There was also one pin with a crack at the base, but didn't fall off; it was also soldered.

7 pins were soldered onto the Cyrix 5x86-133/4x from a donor i486SX CPU. Since soldered pins do not maintain the same elastic strength with applied torque (e.g. when using a ZIF), the Cyrix was then placed into an unused male-female PGA168, with the intention of staying there. Alignment and keeping the solder blob small was a challenge. With the CPU out of the PGA168 socket, I didn't want it to be overly obvious that pins were soldered on.

Attachments

• Cyrix5x86-133_Repair.jpg
    Filename
    Cyrix5x86-133_Repair.jpg
    File size
    873.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Artex_Cyrix_5x86-133_fix.jpg
    Filename
    Artex_Cyrix_5x86-133_fix.jpg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    right-most contains the soldered pins; middle is with broken pins
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 85, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's a crazy story. I've been at both ends of those kinds of PayPal\eBay disputes and they are truly infuriating. I don't even sell things on eBay anymore because of that. feipoa, that's a really awesome thing you did and that's some excellent soldering. I'd love to see a tutorial on how to solder replacement pins on a CPU. What kind of iron and materials (solder, flux, etc.) did you use and what temperature did you run it at?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 85, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What an amazing effort! Well done guys.

I'm a big believer in "no pain no gain" when it comes to old hardware - the stuff that makes you work for it is the most personally valuable. This is a pretty extreme example but hopefully that holds true for you! An awful experience has turned into a pretty darn good one and now you have a cracking story to go with your chip, which might have otherwise just slipped uneventfully into your collection.

At least a couple of years worth of good karma for you there feipoa 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Artex, do you want to post the photos and videos in the OP.

Photos added! Feel free to show the videos if you'd like. Probably not necessary given your high quality pictures!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Artex you are now obliged to create another thread with a build log and tons of photos 🤣 .

Your wish is my command! 😎 😎 😎

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 12 of 85, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy cow! I am sorry to hear that this happened to you, but why did you go to Paypal in the first place? eBay is who you contact first. I never have to deal with Paypal since eBay always solves my issues...To be honest you never want to deal with Paypal. It's a 3rd party company and it sucks. This company is worst than a bank. Report Paypal to BBB immediately. Feipoa you are the man!

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2018-01-30, 01:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

Holy cow! I am sorry to hear that this happened to you, but why did you go to Paypal in the first place? eBay is who you contact first. I never have to deal with Paypal since eBay always solves my issues...Report Paypal to BBB immediately.

Yeah, in retrospect I should have dealt with eBay first but I figured I'd try with the payment side of things first (due to the monetary amount I paid). With previous disputes, I was able to open cases with PayPal with much success. But this was years ago when I was able to speak to US-based support representatives. This... was a complete cluster and these folks (I think in the Philippines) just kept responding with these canned responses. And to make matters worse, wait times were upwards of an hour, and they never even called me back using their "call-back" service. Absolutely terrible terrible terrible service.. and I work in customer service (within IT) so it stings even more to see what people (now including myself) experience. Many lessons learned here.. It's the first time I've been burned so bad through an eBay transaction and I never want to deal with this again.

And I couldn't even reverse my feedback on the seller! Total crap.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 15 of 85, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once ended up selling a dozen or so M1s because the pins rotted, scrape the gold electroplate and the iron underneath will eventually rust allowing the pins to weak and one day break. Glad that the cpu works but I strongly feel that you still deserve a refund given all the trouble this caused. Report Paypal to the BBB and good luck.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did not get a response so I opened a PayPal dispute selecting the “Item not as described” reason. The seller then contacted me asking if he could reimburse me 500 USD which I felt wasn’t enough and so I declined, telling him I’d accept $700 (shame on me). After providing PayPal with the details, PayPal decided to rule in favor of the seller and closed the dispute.

Back before eBay's "Buyer Protection" existed, I bought something on eBay for $300 from a career scam seller. The response I got from eBay was that they agree that the transaction is fraudulent, but regret to inform me that the seller has no more money left in their account and that there is nothing they can do to reimburse me. I went to the credit card company I used to make the purchase, and after 2-3 months, finally got my money back. Did you use a credit card for this purchase? If so, perhaps follow suit with the credit card? Depending on the disputed amount, the credit card company will go after eBay or Paypal. Be sure to have detailed photos of the broken and bent up CPU. For what it is worth, if some random person showed up at my door and wanted me to repair the CPU, I would probably estimate $400-600 for the repair. About 8 hours was spent on the CPU in total, including straightening, cleaning of corrosion, soldering, and extensive testing. I would say that your refund should be $600+loss of collection value. There is loss of value because of there being soldered pins. That amount is hard to pinpoint, but I think you are justified in requesting $700 in refund.

Once you've uploaded all the photos, might be worth sending the seller the URL to this thread, even if you have to send it in a poste card, in attempt to appeal to his conscience.

Without that Paypal screenshot, I wouldn't have believed it - "PayPal reports that a return should not be opened" - so how can you check for damage? Maybe the seller can send you a rubber chicken instead of what you bought. That is a pretty silly agruement from Paypal.

In response to all the generous thanks received - I do not think what I have done is all that generous, there are selfish aspects on my part 1) being honoured the rare opportunity to restore a rare piece of computer history for my own personal sense of accomplishment; 2) my wife is always complaining that we are not lucky people and unfortunate events seem to follow us. She was saying that we need to make merit, start donating, or something, to become more karmically neutral. Thus in a selfish attempt better our bad luck, I agreed to help out. I realise this is a rather unconventional way to look at things.

Reply 17 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

In response to all the generous thanks received - I do not think what I have done is all that generous, there are selfish aspects on my part 1) being honoured the rare opportunity to restore a rare piece of computer history for my own personal sense of accomplishment; 2) my wife is always complaining that we are not lucky people and unfortunate events seem to follow us. She was saying that we need to make merit, start donating, or something, to become more karmically neutral. Thus in a selfish attempt better our bad luck, I agreed to help out. I realise this is a rather unconventional way to look at things.

And THIS is why you are 'the man.' Refreshing to know there are people in this world with this kind of thought process. Your ability to remain humble given your expertise and willingness to do this gratis - it goes without saying that you are a pretty special person and it's very very rare to find someone of this kind of caliber. I certainly wish you (and your family) all the best, and I certainly appreciate their time as well (since you were away working on this for me).

Time is scarce with a 2-year old running around and an 8-5 job, but I do plan on contacting eBay as I feel I'm 100% 'in the right' on this.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 18 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

What kind of iron and materials (solder, flux, etc.) did you use and what temperature did you run it at?

Weller WESD51 iron, with ETS and ETH tips. Iron temperature varied between 650 and 710 F, depending on how much thermal sink the solder pad was connected to. One pin, in particular, was stubborn. I think it was the PCD (page cache disable) pin. I ended up using some liquid flux on that guy. Temperature is not the only concern, amount of time is also a factor; too much and you can burn out the interconnect, too little and the pin isn't soldered on well. Usually in the 2-8 second range. The tricky part is holding the pin with tweezers, while the other hand holds the iron. You need to have a stable left-hand to get the pin up straight. You cannot solder the pin on crooked, then bend it straight with plyers. Solder isn't meant to bend like this and still hold. It took a few takes for each pin. You also don't want to get the solder and flux toward the end of the pin. You want the part of the pin which contacts the socket to be gold. I removed all flux from the pins, just in case. Solder part number I used was Loctite 370 SN60 5C 0.38MM R, which is just a 60/40 (tin/lead) rosin core with 0.38 mm diameter. With age, I find it more difficult to have a steady hand when soldering.

Reply 19 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

I once ended up selling a dozen or so M1s because the pins rotted, scrape the gold electroplate and the iron underneath will eventually rust allowing the pins to weak and one day break. Glad that the cpu works but I strongly feel that you still deserve a refund given all the trouble this caused. Report Paypal to the BBB and good luck.

I have seen quite a few Cyrixes like this as well. I wonder if the issue was with surface prep. before they plated the gold on pins? Or do you think surface rust can eat through the layer of gold and make its way to the tin?