Reply 200 of 247, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-11-01, 08:45:

all shrink-wrapped too?

it's like being in an IT office some time back 😀

Most of them yes. More or less unintentionally as I don't care much about them being shrinkwrapped. I coincidentally got them in this condition.

Reply 202 of 247, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First garage sale of the year today! Fortunately, the guy's garage was well heated because it was chilly (-12C ) this morning.

I picked up these two Office 2010 family packs for $4 each, one of which came with an unexpected bonus: it had a Windows 8 Pro activation card tucked away inside! Surprisingly, the license key worked, and I was able to upgrade my little workshop PC from W10 Home to W10 Pro. I'm not sure if this key had simply never been used, or if I inadvertently bumped some rando off of Microsoft's good list; but either way, $4 well spent.

IMG_0149.jpg
Filename
IMG_0149.jpg
File size
863.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I also picked up Big Fish on VCD, which I thought was just a boring old DVD until the RP. 59000 sticker caught my eye. This came all the way from Indonesia! Even more intriguing was the decidedly high-end packaging (for a VCD; I mean, weren't 99.97% of them pirated?). It has textured lettering on the slipcover, foam disc protectors inside, the whole nine yards. And looking at the discs themselves, they were obviously commercially pressed. As a bit of an obscure video format collector with exactly zero "reference-grade" VCDs in the collection, I just had to have it. Especially for $1. Video quality? Dreadful of course, but hey - should the urge to watch Big Fish on my 486 ever strike, well now I can.

IMG_0151.jpg
Filename
IMG_0151.jpg
File size
991.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 203 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, I got/had exactly one VCD too, "Four Weddings and a Funeral" mine was UK market, packaging was "fat" CD case, with VIDEO CD logo on the black spine part. So I haven't seen them in DVD cases before, best keep an eye out. Vid quality wasn't bad on that, but it's hardly an action pic. There was a very slight mid 90s market for VCD for ppl who'd got 3DO consoles with the MPEG module.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 204 of 247, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- SQL Server 2000
- Operations Manager 2000
- ISA Server 2000
- Exchange Server 2000
- Application Center 2000
- Frontpage 98
- Word 97

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
316.36 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
247.43 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 205 of 247, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought it a few weeks ago but shipping something from South Carolina to New Zealand takes a while these days:

box.jpg
Filename
box.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
contents.jpg
Filename
contents.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Enclosed media was brand new and unopened. I kind of felt bad breaking the seal on the CD-ROM and cutting open the bags of floppies to image everything. Its a collection of TCP/IP software for DOS and Windows 3.1 (X server, NFS client, FTP client & server, TN3270 telnet client, VT220 telnet client and a bunch of other misc utilities). Price was a bit steep for what it is (US$50 IIRC) but there is very little info about this package out there and curiosity got the better of me.

icons.png
Filename
icons.png
File size
17.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
x11.png
Filename
x11.png
File size
69.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 206 of 247, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-13, 10:30:
I bought it a few weeks ago but shipping something from South Carolina to New Zealand takes a while these days: box.jpg contents […]
Show full quote

I bought it a few weeks ago but shipping something from South Carolina to New Zealand takes a while these days:
box.jpg
contents.jpg

Enclosed media was brand new and unopened. I kind of felt bad breaking the seal on the CD-ROM and cutting open the bags of floppies to image everything. Its a collection of TCP/IP software for DOS and Windows 3.1 (X server, NFS client, FTP client & server, TN3270 telnet client, VT220 telnet client and a bunch of other misc utilities). Price was a bit steep for what it is (US$50 IIRC) but there is very little info about this package out there and curiosity got the better of me.

icons.png
x11.png

That's an awesome find and never used. That should provide some good fun playing around with the good ole days of networking.

Reply 207 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-13, 10:30:
I bought it a few weeks ago but shipping something from South Carolina to New Zealand takes a while these days: box.jpg contents […]
Show full quote

box.jpg
contents.jpg

icons.png
x11.png

Interesting, didn't realise they did an X server... though it'll probably only collaborate with early noughties linux at the latest before they swapped over from XFree86

I believe the DOS utils got included in some DRDOS distibutions, 6.0 upwards.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 208 of 247, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The X server is licensed from Age Logic (based on XoftWare v1.7 according to the Novell support database and implements X11R4) and is surprisingly nice - not really anything missing when compared to modern X servers for windows. I figured it probably wouldn't cope with a modern desktop environment though so I was going to use an SGI Indy for testing but it kept tripping the RCD/GFCI extension lead. So I installed debian stable in a VM and compiled CDE from source. The IBM 3270 terminal emulator is licensed from Attachemate and the NFS client from Beame & Whitesite. Includes a commercial use license for Netscape 1.01 too. Everything else seems to have been built by Novell.

Getting the NFS client going was a challenge until I read the manual - turns out PC NFS clients of this era need an Authentication Server running somewhere. LAN Workplace includes the source code (and binaries) for the Beame & Whitesite one as well as Novells modified version of it. While I could get it building on linux it didn't work properly and I'm not sure why - probably too much has changed in Linux in the last 27 years. Thankfully pcnfsd from Suns PC-NFS product is compatible and still included in the standard NetBSD distribution so a NetBSD VM was enough to be able to mount NFS shares from DOS and Windows.

Certainly an interesting thing to play around with! I think overall mtcp is more useful these days but getting that running along side the NetWare client is a bit of a pain - requires wasting conventional memory on ODI/packet driver shims and you loose TCP/IP in windows.

Reply 209 of 247, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I received a big box copy of Quake 3 Arena, which completes the FPS trifecta. (UT99, Half-Life and Quake 3 Arena). Acquiring old PC games can be challenging in Germany because there are mostly censored versions around or versions with pretty rancid dubs.

Reply 211 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-14, 02:25:

The X server is licensed from Age Logic (based on XoftWare v1.7 according to the Novell support database and implements X11R4) and is surprisingly nice - not really anything missing when compared to modern X servers for windows. I figured it probably wouldn't cope with a modern desktop environment though so I was going to use an SGI Indy for testing but it kept tripping the RCD/GFCI extension lead. So I installed debian stable in a VM and compiled CDE from source. The IBM 3270 terminal emulator is licensed from Attachemate and the NFS client from Beame & Whitesite. Includes a commercial use license for Netscape 1.01 too. Everything else seems to have been built by Novell.

Getting the NFS client going was a challenge until I read the manual - turns out PC NFS clients of this era need an Authentication Server running somewhere. LAN Workplace includes the source code (and binaries) for the Beame & Whitesite one as well as Novells modified version of it. While I could get it building on linux it didn't work properly and I'm not sure why - probably too much has changed in Linux in the last 27 years. Thankfully pcnfsd from Suns PC-NFS product is compatible and still included in the standard NetBSD distribution so a NetBSD VM was enough to be able to mount NFS shares from DOS and Windows.

Certainly an interesting thing to play around with! I think overall mtcp is more useful these days but getting that running along side the NetWare client is a bit of a pain - requires wasting conventional memory on ODI/packet driver shims and you loose TCP/IP in windows.

I'd guess at needing a 2.x.x kernel based linux to get novell support working, though there was a big change in the middle of that series that broke a lot of stuff also. Not sure which distro was most on the ball with supporting it. At a guess I'd say Slackware, but that's often typo hunting hell to get working right.

Reply 212 of 247, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-18, 15:07:

I'd guess at needing a 2.x.x kernel based linux to get novell support working, though there was a big change in the middle of that series that broke a lot of stuff also. Not sure which distro was most on the ball with supporting it. At a guess I'd say Slackware, but that's often typo hunting hell to get working right.

Surprisingly Novell stuff still works on current linux to at least some extent - you've just got to install the IPX kernel module first. I've had Mars NWE (Like Samba but for NetWare) running on a Pi recently - DOS, OS/2 and Windows all see the Raspberry Pi as a NetWare 3.12 server and can login, map drives, etc, just like a real one.

The LAN WorkPlace stuff is all TCP/IP based though - while the CD includes the NetWare client you can choose not to install it. I think the issue with the NFS authentication server might just be it doesn't know how to validate your password on a modern Linux (or Debian?) system. The server does compile and run (with a few tweaks to the makefile) but all attempts to authenticate with a valid username and password fail. I couldn't get any logging out of it to diagnose the problem but perhaps it was just having some issue reading /etc/shadow.

Reply 213 of 247, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
221.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Getting there...

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
123.29 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
349.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 214 of 247, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh, now I remember that I wanted to pick up a copy of Encarta.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 215 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need a "Goldilocks" version of Encarta... not too old or it only works with Orifice, bleh, (Not very featureful anyway that one) not too new or it will just be a frontend for the web stuff that ain't there any more.

Reply 216 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-26, 00:08:

Need a "Goldilocks" version of Encarta... not too old or it only works with Orifice, bleh, (Not very featureful anyway that one) not too new or it will just be a frontend for the web stuff that ain't there any more.

This is what I have.. I'd rather own something from 95-96 as these better reflect the pre-internet library versions I used at high school but I'm happy nonetheless.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 217 of 247, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are dumpster finds rather than purchases:

IMG_20220427_154224.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220427_154224.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I don't know what will I do with that XP, I assume it only works with certain Dell PCs. I already have some other copies anyway. It's unopened.
Geforce 4 driver CD from a manufacturer I'm unfamiliar with. Bit sad it didn't come with the box and graphics card.
Windows NT Server - I already own the Workstation version. I never had Windows Server before.
Excel 97 - I already have a full Office 97, this is in better condition though. I probably won't keep it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 218 of 247, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also not a purchase. A coworker said he had this but doens't want it and the box is pretty worn so he also doesn't want to sell it so if I don't take it, he'll throw it to the trash. It felt morally wrong to let it go to waste.

IMG_20220429_161257.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220429_161257.jpg
File size
889.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png