Bought these (retro) software/OS today

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 247, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Novell Ruled the Servers and Network back in 1990’s before NT 4.0
And was used to Network the World with Mac’s and DOS and Windows PC’s.
It was the Business choice for small businesses and corporations.

Everyone was running Novell Servers and Netware back in 1990’s

Attachments

Reply 221 of 247, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Works with OS/2 as well - perhaps the only way to network OS/2 1.x-3.0 without the sold-separately network add-ons or the special Connect edition of OS/2 Warp 3. Its kind of weird on that platform though - not as nice to use as everywhere else. But perhaps thats just a result of how OS/2 works - I've never tried networking OS/2 IBMs way.

Third party clients exist for RiscOS and Amiga too but I've never used them.

Reply 222 of 247, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fresh from Australia - two versions of the Win32 SDK:

PXL_20220503_050720491.MP.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220503_050720491.MP.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The final release (left) is based on the retail release of Windows NT 3.1. The CD and floppy disks were both still sealed.

final_release.jpg
Filename
final_release.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Installing Windows NT 3.1 from this CD seems to be no different than using a regular retail CD-ROM. While there is a bunch of extra SDK stuff on the CD, Windows Setup ignores it. To install the SDK stuff you've got to run setupsdk.bat in the root of the CD-ROM which gives you a graphical installer. The end result is this all of this:

final_sdk_tools.png
Filename
final_sdk_tools.png
File size
18.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

M Editor is the Microsoft Editor (mep.exe), a 32bit console based editor which I have no idea how to use. Interestingly, at least some of the SDK files are newer than what's included in Visual C++ 32-bit Edition (1.0 for NT). This Win32 SDK has CL.EXE (the C compiler) with a date of 1993-07-24 and a version number of 8.00.3190a while Visual C++ 32bit Editions version claims to be just 8.00 and has a date of 1993-07-20. This Win32 SDK also includes the MIPS version of the compiler, something that is only otherwise available in the special (and now fairly unobtainable) RISC Edition of Visual C++ 2.0 or 4.0

And the March 1993 Preliminary version. Only the floppy disks in this one were still sealed and the selection of documentation is more limited - its all available in PostScript form on the CD though:

march93_preliminary.jpg
Filename
march93_preliminary.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The included version of Windows NT claims to be "March Beta 1993 - v1.404". Windows setup is pretty much identical to the final version but unlike the final release this beta version doesn't like the SCSI controller in VirtualBox so won't install (it doesn't support installing from an IDE CD-ROM) - I had to use 86Box instead with the Adaptec AHA154xCF SCSI controller.

splash.png
Filename
splash.png
File size
6.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Installing the SDK components is the same process as in the final release and the selection of installed tools is the same. No separate program group for online references - all that is dumped into the same program group as the tools and the selection of documentation is a bit different. The C compiler claims to be "Microsoft C Optimizing Compiler Version 0.00.3043d".

Reply 223 of 247, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MapPoint 2002 completes my Office 2002 (XP) collection. This journey has been a fun ride and a pretty affordable too. So much more satisfying to collect stuff, that is still considered to be junk and worthless by most. I'd hate to collect retro hardware nowadays.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
267.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
184.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 225 of 247, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote on 2022-05-23, 14:50:

MapPoint 2002 completes my Office 2002 (XP) collection. This journey has been a fun ride and a pretty affordable too. So much more satisfying to collect stuff, that is still considered to be junk and worthless by most. I'd hate to collect retro hardware nowadays.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Love this!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 226 of 247, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a super impressive collection! I love all the cloud box art, I had no idea Microsoft used it for so many products. The boxes really helped make new software feel substantial when you picked it up off the shelf, instead of just being a click away like today.

Reply 227 of 247, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cosmic wrote on 2022-05-23, 16:16:

That's a super impressive collection! I love all the cloud box art, I had no idea Microsoft used it for so many products.

And there's even more:

• Plus! 95
  • Plus! 98
  • Schedule+
  • PowerPoint
  • Small Business Pack
  • Office 95

Reply 228 of 247, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just won an eBay auction for 99 Amiga magazine cover floppies 😀

It's weird - I got an Amiga 600 a year or so ago and modded it immediately with an SD card/HDLoad etc. and can play every game ever but I don't find myself ever wanting to do this.... but give me a bunch of floppies and I can explore like I had just been handed a floppy at school from a friend or picked up the magazine back 25 years ago and sit there with wonder at what's going to be filling the next hour or so of my life as I explore that 720Kb of data 😁

Is this just me?

Reply 229 of 247, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-25, 16:36:

It's weird - I got an Amiga 600 a year or so ago and modded it immediately with an SD card/HDLoad etc. and can play every game ever but I don't find myself ever wanting to do this.... but give me a bunch of floppies and I can explore like I had just been handed a floppy at school from a friend or picked up the magazine back 25 years ago and sit there with wonder at what's going to be filling the next hour or so of my life as I explore that 720Kb of data 😁

Is this just me?

Exploring can be fun 🙂. I even get this feeling when I explore one of my own floppy disks from back then 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 231 of 247, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-26, 08:59:
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-25, 16:36:

Is this just me?

Exploring can be fun 🙂. I even get this feeling when I explore one of my own floppy disks from back then 😜

I found a Zip disk the other day and got so excited, but when I explored it, it was blank 🙁 haha

Reply 232 of 247, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.jpg

2.jpg

the neatness of everything on those shelves 😀 i like it

Reply 234 of 247, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still have my old boxes for Visual C# .NET 2003 Standard and Visual Basic .NET 2002 Standard which I originally bought when they released ... they are complete except that somewhere along the way I lost the CDs for both! Argh! A couple years ago I re-bought the CDs for VB.NET, but have yet to see the CDs pop up for sale for C# (and, I just want the CDs, not another copy of the box ... so I'll be waiting for awhile 🤣).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 235 of 247, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Office 95 Professional
Powerpoint 95
Publisher 2000
Visual C++ 5.0 Learning Edition (2nd copy)

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
324.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
170.5 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 236 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought this Microsoft Works manual for 1 dollar shipped the other day because it was still in its shrinkwrap.. It turns out there is also a PC-DOS and Windows manual on the back of it. Does anyone know what kind of PC this belongs to? It is dated 1995, so maybe an IBM Aptiva or something?

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 237 of 247, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some software from 1990’s

Attachments

Reply 238 of 247, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted in the wrong section, here it goes:
Red Baron in original big box.

Will add manuals tomorrow.

Attachments

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 239 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never played this, it played pretty bad on my stock Amiga 500 at the time. I was more a Knights of the Sky guy 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.