VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most of the people on this site probably have many fond memories of playing old DOS games. It's excellent that people have worked to keep the games alive and help others continue to enjoy the games decades later. At the same time, for me, at least, the full excitement of playing these games isn't recreated 100% unless I have someone to play them with in person. Don't worry, this isn't an advert to meet. When I think about playing the old Sierra games years ago, for example, I sometimes think of who I played them with as much as the details of the games themselves. It makes me want to call up old friends and say, "guess what, I got a Roland MT-32!" Of course, I won't do that (probably not, anyway 😀 ), because they would probably think I was a freak. Just wanted to throw these thoughts out there. Discussing old games online is wonderful, but it's often no replacement for in-person connections, IMO.

Another thing is that when I play an old Sierra game, even just for 20 minutes or so, I get a power boost. It helps me tap into something. It re-centers me and gives me a lift.

Reply 1 of 2, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I have some great memories of discussing games / PC's with friends at highschool in the 90's - we learnt a lot from each other pre-interwebs by sharing experiences / theories. DOOM and C&C were particularly social games - one of the guys in our group had 2 PC's in his house (wow!) and we'd run a null modem cable b/w them and play till we dropped. I still see that guy from time-to-time; we work in different departments of the same company. It's just banal pleasantries b/w 2 office workers and back to our desks now - those lads who played games / drank scotch / discussed the big issues all night long are long gone 😢

These days games are my retreat from the world - strictly single player offline stuff for me, preferably with no-one else in the room.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the same year I got my PC my best mate and I went halves in getting a null modem cable. (we were 15) That progressed to a few other friends and a network card.
4 years later when we upgraded from a 486 to a P2 400 my brother was old enough to join in, Although this limited us to the same DOS games that worked on the 486. C&C, Red Alert, Doom's, Warcraft 1 & 2.

Last time either my brother or best mate came over from Australia you can bet we fired up 2 of my retro PC's and played those same games! In the end it was a big part of our lives.
I've lost contact with the other guys from back then and playing with someone "new" wouldn't be the same as it works out any time we played outside our little social group we weren't really very good! (we had a building grace period for C&C as and example)

Also played Quake3, Unreal Tournament, GTA 2 after work sometimes after work at my 1st IT job many years ago. that was great, but even though the 3 of us are in contact from time to time, we have all moved on from that period, they are the ones that would think I was a freak